News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically this will be off-topic: I went to PT for a few months learning neck stretches, I was fed up with the daily meds and shots but the PT reduced my migraines by at least 90% - I might only have one per week now.

Meeting cancellations - I am sure this is normal for any company, but there is blood in the water so we are hearing more about it. Oversimplified explanation maybe on my part. Other outlets might get more time with each 1 on 1 now, maybe they were overbooked and felt time would lead to bad PR (ie rushing interviewers out after a few questions). Or my favorite thought, in order to limit confusing messages they have eliminated those executives from the meeting lineup.
I might give it a try and see what happens then. Thanks for sharing.

Executives are part of the problem, poor communication/understanding is another. I am not the most knowledgeable person here, sure.

But I've done the homework, and lately it just struck me as people having very poor understandings of technology. I'd be pissed as hell if I had to moderate the forums in certain places, misinformation started multiplying..eek.

Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.
The hater I was talking about countered my "Xbox isn't that bad" with something like -making up here, just to get myself understood- "omg, like the Xbox One is a plant?!"
*headsmack* :???:

crazy buttocks on a train responded again to Major Nelsons tweet on GAF:

"no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps
me=notpaifd fpor anyting 9 ysrs here on gaf, all free and all myo love. gamers and games, noohther.

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact."

Damn.

How did you decipher that decking gibberish.

Under the "news, not rumors" section, Major Nelson just posted this hot across the twitter wire 1 minute ago:

Details on Xbox One Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

Today we shared more information about our vision for Xbox One. In this vision we also have some of the details around digital licensing, connectivity, and privacy. After reading the posts, you’ll get a better idea of how we’ve designed Xbox One to amplify a new generation of Xbox Live.

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/06/details-on-xbox-one-connectivity-licensing-and-privacy-features/

Just skimming it but looks like a connection every 24 hrs is definitely required.

For Kinect it's basically a bunch of stuff about "WE REASSURE YOU WE ALLOW YOU TO TURN IT COMPLETELY OFF"

More stuff:

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

So there's some negative stuff in there looks like. Mainly used looks up to publishers, and to give your game away the person must be on your friends list for 30 days which is kinda crap, and only giveaway once. Eh.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

That sucks also. No doubt this is a downgrade from the past.

Redbox is such an amazingly good renting option, I liked to have it available even if I rarely used it. And no loaning sucks.

I dont want to just focus on the negative though like everybody else will, having your library available in the cloud is kinda awesome, definite improvement on the past, as will be switching games without switching discs.

How did you decipher that decking gibberish.

Lol, met me translate:

"Not true.

Major Nelson is a payed corporate PR shill.
I haven't been payed for any of my services over the past 9 years here on NeoGAF. I did it all for free due to my love for gamers and games, nothing else. The eSRAM issue stands, period.

Truthfact".

Under the "news, not rumors" section, Major Nelson just posted this hot across the twitter wire 1 minute ago:

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/06/details-on-xbox-one-connectivity-licensing-and-privacy-features/

Just skimming it but looks like a connection every 24 hrs is definitely required.

For Kinect it's basically a bunch of stuff about "WE REASSURE YOU WE ALLOW YOU TO TURN IT COMPLETELY OFF"

More stuff:

Didn't he also post something earlier which could be seen as refuting the down-clock rumor?

That actually seems like a pretty sensible solution to lending games. If you can share your games with up to 10 'family' members that would work quite well for sharing games between friends - except without swapping discs.

Didn't he also post something earlier which could be seen as refuting the down-clock rumor?

on twitter? i dont see anything like that in his last couple days tweets..do you have any more info?

Never mind I see it:

ZPqBI7m.png

To which Cboat responded/refuted on GAF:

no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps
me=notpaifd fpor anyting 9 ysrs here on gaf, all free and all myo love. gamers and games, noohther.

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact.

I think we can all agree we dont really care about ESRAM troubles/yields except tangentially, we all wanna know about the downclock and that's looking unlikely.

EDIT: LOL, GAF is hilarious. To some of them this apparently means the downclock is confirmed because, no more yield issues=downclock must have happened.

Alrighty then.

More stuff:

So there's some negative stuff in there looks like. Mainly used looks up to publishers, and to give your game away the person must be on your friends list for 30 days which is kinda crap, and only giveaway once. Eh.
Thanks for sharing that info, Rangers.

Yes, it is confirmed an always online requirement won't exist, which is good news. :smile: It seems like the "connecting at least once every 24 hours" is mandatory though.

Mixed feelings there :rolleyes: because there will be people who want to lug their Xbox One around on trips to their house in the mountains or to the grandma's house where high speed internet isn't present.

While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

That actually seems like a pretty sensible solution to lending games. If you can share your games with up to 10 'family' members that would work quite well for sharing games between friends - except without swapping discs.

i always get confused with this stuff, how will they prevent massive abuse?

i guess the game is tied to your console though right? so it can only be shared from your own console?

or since your library is available anywhere, can you do it that way?

Yes

@ChristopherPilc: @majornelson @theScott117 Major - you are confirming no down clock has occurred from your spec, whatever that spec is/was?

@majornelson: @theScott117 Definitely not true, I can't respond to every unsourced online rumor . . but that is false.

One question. Assuming borrowing or buying a used game requires some DRM check up and paying a fee.
This tells me that you wont pay the full price when you buy a new game copy from a store because it will require a fee when you first insert the game in your XBone
So the full price will be the retail price+fee for DRM check up. Unless each game disk has a special unique ID which is recognized and tied to the first XBone it is inserted into through a DRM
But both of these solutions require internet to play a game.
I dont know about you but I feel that this will somewhat limit the potential market as there are people who arent used to connecting consoles or TV devices in general to the internet. This especially involves very very young users
Not all parents are willing to give internet access to their kids and through a console which they consider an entertainment device mainly for playing games

Overall it seems a bit more capable than current models on Xbox360. It allows for you to always play your game on any Xbox One while a family member (1 at a time) can play from any other Xbox One. So it would seem you no longer need to do 'tricks' like purchase the game with your account on a 2nd Xbox for the family and then re-download it under that account on your primary Xbox.

He doesn't speak specifically to the downclock though. Though you can infer things, it's not ironclad a denial of a downclock.

And neither ever does CBOAT, in the same fashion, say there has or hasnt been a downclock, which to my mind is more evidence there hasnt been, since if there was he would say it.

It seems reasonable to assume there may be ESRAM "issues",. As GAF was ever so quick to point out, Major Nelson may not be all that in touch with the hardware side anyway.

One question. Assuming borrowing or buying a used game requires some DRM check up and paying a fee.

Why are you assuming that when the info officially released clearly says there is no fee? :???: Are you implying the publisher will charge that, because it sure isn't Microsoft.

From http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
"Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

I hope game journalists man up and ask Microsoft why their policies are the way they are. Why am I only allowed to lend a game to a friend of mine for 30 days? Why can I only play offline for up to 24 hours before the console needs to reconnect? And most importantly, why can't I privately sell my own damn game? Why through "selected retailers".

I admit that I'm a cheap ass gamer and from the 18 games I own, probably 15 are bought used. All the others I bought in store and I've played lots of other games I borrowed from friends.

I'm not liking this. Especially the 24 hour check in. Usually when my ISP craps out and I have no internet, I pass time by gaming. What if the X1 won't allow me to play anymore because I have been playiing offlike for too long? I guess I could connect the X1 to my phone through WiFi tethering to reset the clock.. but damn I'm not comfortable with all these restrictions.

He doesn't speak specifically to the downclock though. Though you can infer things, it's not ironclad a denial of a downclock.

And neither ever does CBOAT, in the same fashion, say there has or hasnt been a downclock, which to my mind is more evidence there hasnt been, since if there was he would say it.

?? Guy asks if the down clock rumor is true, he says its false, what's left to infer?

i always get confused with this stuff, how will they prevent massive abuse?

i guess the game is tied to your console though right? so it can only be shared from your own console?

or since your library is available anywhere, can you do it that way?

I'm guessing the 'family' members need to share a Live family subscription, because otherwise it seems way to generous for MS to let you share a game with up to 9 other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back