News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temp-BANS all around to anyone who mentions Sony, PS4, Nintendo, or WiiU in this thread.

Maybe his prediction will pan out, after ABC declared war on cord cutters by delaying recent shows from going up on Hulu.
If the plan is to pay billions to get exclusive access to american shows and channels, this will backfire big time. Apple, Google, Netflix, Hulu and S*cough* will go on the attack, do the same for some other shows, and this will completely break all hope of a universal service for TV through tcpip.

PS4 was not shown either. Maybe it was not ready and still had half the memory as promised. So, just a devkit was shown. Microsoft could just thrown a machine with 2x 7990 running and say something about games and do not show the real hardware either.

they will show the final machine guaranteed. this is a "Reveal". can not have a reveal without something to display. A picture of 720 will be all over the news Tuesday night

and yes there is no reason to be "embarrassed" :LOL: by the specs, please. But no matter the specs they will at least say they have the same 8 core CPUs and 8 GB RAM and Blu ray and HDD. etc.

most people will not know what that means let alone anything beyond the differences there.

I guarantee they will go into the details in the AFTER shows of how the machine will stack up quite favorably next gen engines and games due to the other detail hardware features and engineering

If the plan is to pay billions to get exclusive access to american shows and channels, this will backfire big time. Apple, Google, Netflix, Hulu and S*cough* will go on the attack, do the same for some other shows, and this will completely break all hope of a universal service for TV through tcpip.

Senator McCain is trying to pass a bill to require a la carte pricing. Even if he gets it passed in the Senate, the House, which is run by his party, probably won't pass it.

Doubtful MS would get cable companies, which have monopolies in the areas they service, to give up pricing power.

MS doesn't need to get exclusive access to the shows, or control over pricing power. Just a healthy partnership with the cable companies to help them as much as possible in ensuring they continue to have monopolies, stay relevant, stop the cord cutters, and not get usurped by Hulu, Netflix, and the like, and to hold that over their competitors, and to pimp that as their STB game console hybrid revolution.

They may not know what a GFLOP is , but they surely have eyes to see the on screen differences .
No, they really won't. Most people can barely tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray, and that's a 6X resolution increase.

Aah, crap. Considering Pachter's track record, all the doomsayers are now going to be completely correct.

In my view, the only group that it would behoove MS to inform about higher spec final hardware is 1st party studios. They have nothing to lose with 3rd parties/multiplatform devs being in the dark because the *worst* that MS could do by bumping the spec is have a (launch window) title that is identical to the PS4 version since devs were planning for that power anyway.

I'm assuming all 1.2tf corroborating leaks are not coming from 1st parties but rather 3rd parties?

No, the 1.2TF comes from Xbox Advanced Technology Group whitepapers and has corroborated by numerous sources.

MS's internal targets were 6-8x the power of 360, that's what the Yukon leak had and that's what we're going to get for Durango.

Personally i'd just like to see the RAM available to games be in parity across the consoles so we get better quality assets. Display planes could offset the visual impact of a lower resolution but i think i might notice textures that are lower quality. (Not to mention it might drag down the the overall quality of multiplatform titles since studios may not create two versions of every texture just so ps4's could look ever so slightly better)

Yes, but the lower bandwidth might also see lower res textures on Durango even if it has parity on usable RAM.

They might have to get pretty close to the screen to spot the difference as things stand.

It could be the same game running at 1/3 less resolution, or more dips with a dynamic resolution. Games could look otherwise identical and with most people playing on <46" TVs at reasonable distance, the difference may not be all that obvious.

Exactly, people can hardly tell COD runs at 600p unless you tell them. They're not going to notice Durango games running at 900p unless they read a DF Face Off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming all 1.2tf corroborating leaks are not coming from 1st parties but rather 3rd parties?

You don't have to assume, that's the exact truth.

These are the ONLY official words Microsoft has made regarding their next gen console-

On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. On that day, we’ll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE and broadcast on Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we’ve been working on.

No, they really won't. Most people can barely tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray, and that's a 6X resolution increase.

Aah, crap. Considering Pachter's track record, all the doomsayers are now going to be completely correct.

Well, the people who are likely to be putting down $400+ on a system on day one without ever having seen one are likely to be able to tell the difference. Unless it's a total breakout hit for casuals, I think most people in the first year will still semi pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Then again, I remember with previous consoles from the early 2000's when I was 10, I only cared about games and the price of the box. Even $100 was a huge difference. Oh to be young again.

Well, the people who are likely to be putting down $400+ on a system on day one without ever having seen one are likely to be able to tell the difference. Unless it's a total breakout hit for casuals, I think most people in the first year will still semi pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Then again, I remember with previous consoles from the early 2000's when I was 10, I only cared about games and the price of the box. Even $100 was a huge difference. Oh to be young again.

..............and oblivious. Now gamers mull over specs and financials. lol

So here is a question to throw out there.

Lets say that all the rumors are correct and the xbox is the weaker one. What if it has something else though like say a rift type set up ?

No, from what I've heard, something like the Fortaleza glasses will not be ready for launch - perhaps a few years down the road though.

You don't have to assume, that's the exact truth.

And you know this, how? Please go back to GAF if you are incapable of intelligent conversation.

The 1.2TF comes from MS's own, internal whitepapers describing the console.

So no, it's far from the exact truth

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 was not shown either. Maybe it was not ready and still had half the memory as promised. So, just a devkit was shown. Microsoft could just thrown a machine with 2x 7990 running and say something about games and do not show the real hardware either.

I wouldn't go that far, but sony's conference did show some pre-rendered footage from next gen tools. even if a design is picked the innards could be undecided, anyways, it's their gaming machine.

They have to code to the API, since they have no direct access to the hardware anyway.

It's not possible that they are developing a high snd low spec APU simultaneously as people would know about it (and no one does). Well, to be fair they were developing Yuma/Xbox TV as well but that makes Durango the high powered design (and we know about Xbox TV way back)

I seriously urge all the fanboys to try and keep their sh*t together until the 21st, your rampant speculation and handwringing isn't going to get MS to change the specs.

change from the rumors you mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If everyone knows how this is going to play out i suggest them to go back to their everyday lives. anyone who is interested in may 21st (or have a hint of it to peak) are the ones who are in doubt, like myself and others. the only reason why you would want to see something like this is because you have questions.

If they feel embarrassed because of the specs they are going to say the essential details that match any other console out there.

If that was the case it would be a good idea to say the console feature a 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM and that's it.

If they only mention that then you know what to expect.

You gotta watch everything you say and do today, once something like that is online, it is viral.

5 days and 17 hours until reveal, according to this countdown:

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/14/one-week-until-xboxreveal/

embarrassed or not, it could be a no show because of tactical reasons or waiting for better revisions to show up later. anyways, they made a deadline to show something whether it's a beta of a final or what's to be inside is for everyone to find out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

checking out of the forums till may 21st, everyone net wide are on multiple ideas and assumptions (including myself.) whether we're stuck in the past or way ahead of the possible truth, the truth is out there waiting to be revealed.

No, from what I've heard, something like the Fortaleza glasses will not be ready for launch - perhaps a few years down the road though.

And you know this, how? Please go back to GAF if you are incapable of intelligent conversation.

Why are you so personally invested in talking anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with you down? Let people believe what they want to believe. If there's more to MS's console it will be revealed, if not then these "non-official sources" will be validated. It's just as simple as that.

There's no need to start throwing around insults. You are far too worked up over this.

Why are you so personally invested in talking anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with you down? Let people believe what they want to believe. If there's more to MS's console it will be revealed, if not then these "non-official sources" will be validated. It's just as simple as that.

There's no need to start throwing around insults. You are far too worked up over this.

Ha, me personally invested! I'm only calling things as they are, maybe I'm invested in that.

But seriously, if you guys keep going on about dual APUs etc despite numerous people telling you that's not feasible you might be better served on a forum like GAF.

Discussions on B3D tend to be more grounded in reality, being a technical forum and all, so forgive me if I don't think much of these kind of posts, which basically can be reduced to 'I feel MSs box should be more powerful than these specs, so it must be!'

There's enough of that on GAF and every other gaming forum out there, we don't need it here too.

It's certainly possible, but it would be a sign of desperation. And the basis of all this questioning seems to be Orbis and this theory that MS have seen Orbis's specs and pooped their pants and are now running around panicking. I don't believe that management's strategy wasn't more solidly considered than that and that the whole Durango system and experience wasn't considered value except in competition to a hoped-for weaker PS4. Just going by the 10x performance upgrade per generation, MS must have expected something considerably more than 1.2 TF from Sony, yet despite that, chose their lower spec'd hardware.

I don't think MS are overly concerned about the performance differential, and I don't think they'll be motivated to do something about it in hardware.

they're really not that far apart as is, both are low end gpu's really, and i think had sony not made the bold jump from 4-8gb, durango would have been on par regardless (more ram, less flops)

so i keep harkening back to the point that were it not for a shocking move very late, durango imo would have been as powerful as the competition. 8gb was pretty aggressive. there was a time when people on this board said 2gb and a 6670 was all we were gonna get next gen.

anyways i just disagree that ms doesn't care about performance, they showed with the move from 360 from 256 to 512 that they will change course, and greenberg's tweets are leading. at this point i'd be shocked if the specs are not upgraded come the 21st. but i do think it will be ram/clocks.

bkilian paints the pictures that execs didnt care about the specs, but i get this gut feeling hunch that they changed course after ps4 revealed 8gb, and higher ups like perhaps greenberg overruled lower downs if anything and specs were upped. I didn't post this Geenberg tweet before but it went with the smileyface

sNwNCdw.png

interesting that a pastebin posted in this thread a little ways back listed the final specs as 20 cu's, 384 bit, 12gb. i doubt that pastebin obviously because well, pastebin, but i find it a little interesting the thread tags have 384 bit/12gb in them.

but this is a news and rumors section. So speculation is not out of bounds. In truth we know absolutely nothing about the MS console.

interesting that a pastebin posted in this thread a little ways back listed the final specs as 20 cu's, 384 bit, 12gb. i doubt that pastebin obviously because well, pastebin, but i find it a little interesting the thread tags have 384 bit/12gb in them.

would 12 gigs make more sense than 16 gigs ? How would the chips shake out and what would be the bandwidth gain on a 384bit bus ?

Plausible as a response to PS4? No. There's already been indications they don't care about any possible power difference. Also, massive projects in the works for years tend not to change directions at the drop of a hat, and moreso uncharacteristically at a company as slow to react as MS usually is.

but i wish some of you guys would admit then, that more ram/higher clocks are 100% possible and reasonable.

you undermine your own reasonable facade when you do that. it's reasonable to say major architecture changes are extremely unlikely, but it's also reasonable that ram/clock increases are very possible. look no further than ps4 for proof.

the arguments we get against higher clocks are like "bubu, RROD, I think MS will never cause any heat in their system again!" or, I dont know, other relatively nonsensical stuff. Weird arguments that it cant be clocked higher because it's an APU, or because of the ESRAM or other stuff that boils down to blatant conjecture at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back