News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
would 12 gigs make more sense than 16 gigs ? How would the chips shake out and what would be the bandwidth gain on a 384bit bus ?

it would be 102 gb/s.

mind you i dont think it's 384 bit, just thought it odd the pastebin and thread tags matched. but then again the pastebin could have been written by someone who frequents here for all we know.

Ha, me personally invested! I'm only calling things as they are, maybe I'm invested in that.

But seriously, if you guys keep going on about dual APUs etc despite numerous people telling you that's not feasible you might be better served on a forum like GAF.

Discussions on B3D tend to be more grounded in reality, being a technical forum and all, so forgive me if I don't think much of these kind of posts, which basically can be reduced to 'I feel MSs box should be more powerful than these specs, so it must be!'

There's enough of that on GAF and every other gaming forum out there, we don't need it here too.

there was countless posts about stacked ram, 3D RAM, TSV silicon on interposer, and other crazy stuff being in ps4 for a good while. it always seemed pretty unreasonable to me (surprise surprise, none of it happened in ps4, just as i predicted). but it went on unchecked and mostly without complaint. same type of thing. if that was allowed, you know, dual apu nonsense should be imo...it's really about on the same level one is not worse.

but i do agree we have been invaded by some people that are way too bullish and dont really know what they are talking about. but, 6 days.

I am mostly interested in the games they show at the MS event. I don't care for the detailed specs as long as they are reasonable (I am looking at u Wuu), especially as we we have strong indications that both consoles are rather close again, but disappointing low power devices anyway.

Games matter to me most for a gaming device, i don't care for fancy OS features and hope that this is not the focus of the show (although I fear this a bit, as this would be MS way to make some huge press impact by showing fancy things you could do with voice command and kinect detection while maneuvering through the media functions of the next box...like a science fiction movie or so).

Up to now, no real next gen megaton game was revealed in my opinion and I hope to see this in the tent...

Ha, me personally invested! I'm only calling things as they are, maybe I'm invested in that.

But seriously, if you guys keep going on about dual APUs etc despite numerous people telling you that's not feasible you might be better served on a forum like GAF.

Discussions on B3D tend to be more grounded in reality, being a technical forum and all, so forgive me if I don't think much of these kind of posts, which basically can be reduced to 'I feel MSs box should be more powerful than these specs, so it must be!'

There's enough of that on GAF and every other gaming forum out there, we don't need it here too.

Oh man I give up.

It's JUST talk. I mean that's all it is right now.

higher clocks could be made up for with larger heat sinks and a larger fan. Just look at the design change in the xbox 360 .

THe console doesn't move so an extra pound of heatsink to up clocks and a faster fan or an additional fan doesn't matter.

I would assume that would be something they'd do before adding a second apu or gpu.

Perhaps a mix of clock speeds and additional ram could be their secret sauce. After all they would only have to worry for a year or so until the first micron drop. After that they would be able to bring yields up and reduce the cooling needs

it would be 102 gb/s.

mind you i dont think it's 384 bit, just thought it odd the pastebin and thread tags matched. but then again the pastebin could have been written by someone who frequents here for all we know.

Thanks for answering.

excuse me for butting in but some of us see it more as you are invested in telling people how YOU think they are and how we should all agree because you know better.

Well actually, I do know better - because I have some inside information, but that's besides the point and unnecessary for my argument.

Tell me, why does Shifty agree with my POV and not with the likes of GrimThorne, Xenios etc?
Because it is a far more likely scenario than what they are suggesting.

By asking me to treat both POVs with equal respect, you're essentially doing the same as the ID advocates/creationists who say 'evolution is just a theory!' and argue that the education system is unfair as it does not give equal airtime to their own 'theories'.

Of course, the difference is that there is vastly more evidence for evolution than ID, so presenting both theories as equally credible alternatives and giving them equal airtime is being disingenous at best.

It's the exact same situation here, the fanboys are against the vgleaks specs because it doesn't feel right to them. The thought process of a fanboy is something like: "
How can MS come to the party with a weaker console after the powerhouses that were Xbox and Xbox 360!"

or

"I've been a die hard Xbox fan for 10 years, I really can't deal with the fact that the competition has a more powerful machine this time around. I mean how will I argue with my PS owning friends now they have a clear on paper advantage ... I'll be forced to admit they have the more powerful machine! Oh, the horror!

But, wait a minute, nothing's official yet, so vgleaks et al could be wrong... in fact they probably are wrong, let's see what other rumours I can find that don't lead to a weaker Durango

And so they say:
"Oh vgleaks says X, but this Blizzard artguy says Y and you know they're both rumours so we should really treat X and Y as equally plausible until the actual specs come out"

Completely ignoring the sheer weight of evidence on vgleaks side and the fact that they correctly predicted the PS4 specs (besides the RAM amount) and are corroborated by Edge, Kotaku, DF, lherre, bkilian etc.

I tell you, cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing and we're seeing it play out on a large scale here.
We've already had a taster with certain fanboys continuing to insist that their lately come this gen console has 'hidden power' that we simply refuse to acknowledge the possibility of.

Perhaps a mix of clock speeds and additional ram could be their secret sauce.

that's my best hope. give me 12gb, and 1.4-1.6 teraflops, and i'm solid, lets do this next gen thing lol. I think that stacks up all day with the competition and the whole "just accept it" thing will have to have outlived it's day as there would be nothing to accept at all. It would be a system that could stand on it's own and not reasonably considered weaker (although we will move on to discussions about how slow the RAM is EG, what we did before, it wont have any real weight)

Well actually, I do know better - because I have some inside information,

you have inside information that is several months old and not getting any younger, too be fair. As long as we understand that.

that's my best hope. give me 12gb, and 1.4-1.6 teraflops, and i'm solid, lets do this next gen thing lol.

I'm not to interested in the next gen consoles. I stoped playing my ps3 early in the gen (and then it started to die on me) I barely play my 360 because the games look and play better on my pc.
I would only buy some multiplayer stuff to paly with friends.

I think i'm going to get a system this gen but more out of habit then any real need. Its either going to be the ps4 or the xbox infinity. I bet the infinity because all my friends are on xbox live and I don't see that changing unless MS doesn't improve the service at all for next gen.

I think that's the crux of the thing too. Its odd to me that MS would be behind in anything considering how far ahead they were last gen. I am doubtful that MS has just been sitting still for the last 7 years.

I wonder what possible clock increases MS can go for in the system. Also as I've said before , I wonder what redundancy they can enable to increase performance .

Well actually, I do know better - because I have some inside information, but that's besides the point and unnecessary for my argument.

Tell me, why does Shifty agree with my POV and not with the likes of GrimThorne, Xenios etc?
Because it is a far more likely scenario than what they are suggesting.

By asking me to treat both POVs with equal respect, you're essentially doing the same as the ID advocates/creationists who say 'evolution is just a theory!' and argue that the education system is unfair as it does not give equal airtime to their own 'theories'.

Of course, the difference is that there is vastly more evidence for evolution than ID, so presenting both theories as equally credible alternatives and giving them equal airtime is being disingenous at best.

It's the exact same situation here, the fanboys are against the vgleaks specs because it doesn't feel right to them. The thought process of a fanboy is something like: "

or

And so they say:

Completely ignoring the sheer weight of evidence on vgleaks side and the fact that they correctly predicted the PS4 specs (besides the RAM amount) and are corroborated by Edge, Kotaku, DF, lherre, bkilian etc.

I tell you, cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing and we're seeing it play out on a large scale here.
We've already had a taster with certain fanboys continuing to insist that their lately come this gen console has 'hidden power' that we simply refuse to acknowledge the possibility of.

hey I don't disagree that some people have come here lately and have gotten a little ridiculous and pushed your buttons.

But really even if you do have inside info is it really your job to decide who exactly is a "fanboy" and who is just enjoying this as a hobby or vocation and having a go at some speculation?

just saying you are taking your role as insider a little too seriously. If you are right wouldn't giving a little leeway knowing that in 5.5 days you would be proven right be enough?

that's my best hope. give me 12gb, and 1.4-1.6 teraflops, and i'm solid, lets do this next gen thing lol.

you have inside information that is several months old and not getting any younger, too be fair. As long as we understand that.

The only thing I go back towards is the fact that if there is any team that could figure out how to properly implement a dual APU configuration...........it's most certainly MS' team of SoC engineers. Those guys are like the equivalent of rock stars in their field, they could've figured it out.

Otherwise, what did they assemble them for, BC, clock bumps? Hiring a team like that for those tasks seems like overkill.

Is the temp ban for mentioning the unmentionables still in effect..? :)

In regards to a clock bump, that may be a costly blunder. If those poor yield rumors were true, any bump in clocks would just make the situation even worse. Even if they had a price advantage what good would it do if they're even more supply constrained or have to delay a launch in some territories.

I think they should just stick to their plan. Sell the console by its other merits, and release the 2 SoC box in 2015/2016. I think the hardcore Xbox fans will upgrade or they'll make it more enticing with a sub.

Why are people taking Aaron Greenberg seriously :???:

He is the one who said FF13 is coming on 360 proudly and will have most amazing graphics. It happened to be the worst 360 multiplat. He doesn't know a sh!t.

Definitely people are expecting much better things from first party this time so hopefully the specs are upped what vgleaks has released. But otherwise it won't be a dealbreaker in multiplats like this gen with few exceptions.

The only thing I go back towards is the fact that if there is any team that could figure out how to properly implement a dual APU configuration...........it's most certainly MS' team of SoC engineers. Those guys are like the equivalent of rock stars in their field, they could've figured it out.

Otherwise, what did they assemble them for, BC, clock bumps? Hiring a team like that for those tasks seems like overkill.

I still don't understand why you'd want a dual APU . An apu with a secondary gpu would make more sense . Something in the radeon 7790 range would make more sense .

In regards to a clock bump, that may be a costly blunder. If those poor yield rumors were true, any bump in clocks would just make the situation even worse. Even if they had a price advantage what good would it do if they're even more supply constrained or have to delay a launch in some territories.

I think they should just stick to their plan. Sell the console by its other merits, and release the 2 SoC box in 2015/2016. I think the hardcore Xbox fans will upgrade or they'll make it more enticing with a sub.

IT could be but we really don't know what poor yield rumor is coming from.

Just what 5 more days ?

In the end, I think having a super powerful box and trying to aim for everyone down the road are incompatible business plans because unless a company is willing to lose a lot of money, neither will work. The "lets build a super powerful box" path was taken by a previous console and compared to the console before it, I don't see how anyone could look at it positively. *trying really hard not to get banned here* ;)

Out of curiosity, do we have any idea what the thermal curve is like for jaguar or gcn with respect to frequency? Probably not jaguar, but we should for gcn, no? Maybe we can substitute jaguar with bobcat's curve? Might be a good exercise to get a feel for clock increases. Historically, AMD tends to be conservative, or generous depending on how you look at it, with voltage for their cpus, so I've kinda been hoping we'd see rumor talk of 1.8 clocks pop up (2.0 is probably too much, I guess). I guess, though, that's with respect to desktop parts. AMD is probably pretty aggressive with voltage on mobile oriented stuff like jaguar.

Also, somewhat unrelated, I'm still going with xbox loop.

eastmen said:
IT could be but we really don't know what poor yield rumor is coming from.

Poor yield mostly from SemiA. Then the Kotaku 'behind 6 mo' thing which I think was kit related? Then the 'running hot' thing. Anyhow, we're pulling 'rumors' out of the air at will at this point and seemingly open to discussing them :smile: Anyways, I agree it'd be nice to see a clock bump for us gamers but on the flipside it doesn't seem like a smart move for MS imo.

dagamer said:
In the end, I think having a super powerful box and trying to aim for everyone down the road are incompatible business plans because unless a company is willing to lose a lot of money, neither will work.

Agreed, more or less. But powerful to us posting on this board is different than the kind of powerful to the average casual joe, especially after PR and marketing BS factors. Xbox could be considered both powerful and a do-it-all box, so it might work, just not in the way you defined it :)

"Powerful" and "do it all box" arent related in the least imo. They have nothing to do with each other. One doesn't preclude the other or vice versa.

Powerful does signal a higher price is all, but at the end of the day, all consoles are high priced as media boxes. Nobody buys a 299 360 instead of a $49 roku. What they do is buy a 360 to play games, and then hey, there's this box already hooked up to the TV, lets watch netflix on it.

Technically not really related, true. But if you're a do it all box aimed at everyone that does STB functions, probably always on or on at least a lot, and should also be quiet and reliable, then yes it could be related.

Nowdays it's easy to engineer where the system is only in a high power state while gaming. In fact I think new EU regulations demand it.

But yes it's easier to do a media box that cant game, I guess. I just think in a game console, it's splitting hairs.

Durango wont be a markedly better STB if it's "only" 1.2 TF instead of 1.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back