Sony Vita Games Thread

Yeah, it's nice to have the buy-once-play-both deal.

Some SP games like Uncharted will turn off the network. I hope Sony allow us to override it. It'd be cool if we can stream music and play game or web browse at the same time. Right now, the basic music player only plays from the memory card. Waiting for Music Unlimited to hit.

If you're look for more games...

I have always wanted to buy "About a Blob" on PS3 but didn't get to it. Looks like the Vita version is cheap and good:

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack Review
The cheapest PlayStation Vita launch title is also one of the best.
http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1219029p1.html

When Tales from Space: About a Blob debuted on the PlayStation 3 last year, people dug it but had issues with it. Podcast Beyond's Colin Moriarty wanted to use the D-pad, IGN reviewer Audrey Drake wanted a longer experience, and I wasn't a fan of the sluggish gameplay. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- a downloadable sequel -- fixes all of that and makes for one of the best titles in the PlayStation Vita's launch lineup.

I don't have access to the tech info. Can't answer some of your questions.

By observing from the outside, it looks like you can open up to 6 apps at the same time. Inactive apps are "reduced" to their LiveArea form (You have to back out into the LiveArea screen by clicking on the "Playstation" button before you can swipe to another app). Therefore, in theory, only one app needs to be actively running. The rest can install background tasks for the OS to run. The other apps may (need to) free up memory before switching to a resource intensive game.

Here's NetFront browser's memory requirements. I have no idea which version Vita is using.

NetFront v4.2:
http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontmobile/browser/index.html

NetFront NX:
http://www.access-company.com/products/mobile_solutions/netfrontbrowsernx.html

As Gradthawn alluded to above, Sony's priority is indeed gaming. The UI, development and run-time resources are allocated that way (Hence, starting a game kicks the web browser into its LiveArea today. ^_^).

3DS does allow switching between the browser and game. Similarly, if they can swap computing resources in and out on the fly, the impact will definitely be smaller than running them in parallel.

At another level, the web may be a gaming platform too. Google, Zynga and Gaikai gave a glimpse of their vision. Personally, I suspect we will see more intriguing/integrated/seamless and fun ideas from the web people in the future.

I may not be a game developer, but I am a web person ;)

I can assure you the future lies with the internet. Exciting things are on the horizon. I'm fortunate enough to experience some of this where I work. :smile:

Of course, whether or not the major cell powers (who incidentally own and operate huge portions of the internet backbone) play ball and allow mobile users in on this fun reasonably... That's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go play in EU and Asia if US operators don't play ball. :p

Are you working with one of the game portals, or a community sites ?

@Patsu

Okay, then I'll guess it will just be down to price then. I will not be switching regions, so as long as the HK/Asian will work fine as a device in EU, I do not care to much.

The 3G version is about €330/HK$3400/$US440 in Norway

Mine's finally arrived as well. Gosh, I'm loving it. Not too happy with my official Sony Travel Kit though. The soft case is way too friggin' huge. It effectively quadruples the thickness of the system. That's okay when you travel for longer stretches I guess, but I was hoping for something that would fit into the pockets of my cargo pants. At least it also comes with a cleaning cloth, a screen protector and the good old PSP wrist strap.

So I tried Motorstorm RC on Vita now and except for the tutorial still popping up it works completely as advertised. It started giving me my trophies and by the time I got to the first race all my work from last night was present and correct ... very sweet! Posting this from Vita btw ;)

Go play in EU and Asia if US operators don't play ball. :p

Are you working with one of the game portals, or a community sites ?

I'm speaking broadly here. I'm with Omaha Media Group (OMG), pretty kick ass place .

We're behind quite a few well known sites along with a few... Highly clever services and applications ;)

We're making waves in the midwest.

Them's fighting words. Of course we'll see how succesfull it is. My suggestion would be to forego graphical splendor for 60fps in this case.

The current state of affairs in terms of games for me is:

- Uncharted (not played yet)
- Virtua Tennis 4 (my first ever Virtua Tennis game btw)
- Hustle Kings (seems to be free in Europe? But I already had it on PS3 anyway so would have been free)
- Super Stardust Delta (as crazy and intense as the PS3 one for sure!)
- Motorstorm RC
- Mutant Blobs Attack (not yet tried, but my son will love)
- Lumines Electronic Symphony (couldn't resist after the demo)

Also have the four apps (free) and the Fifa, Little Deviants and Rayman demos on there. Still over 9GB free, so that's good. Wipeout 2048 will come eventually, as I've upgraded my 3G Vodafone card and that should give me a code within seven days for downloading Wipeout. The 20 Euro upgrade I did seems to have given me a bonus 20 Euro, and looks like it will stay valid for 12 months. With some luck, I'll never need more than that.

I was a bit worry with analog stick being so loose and playing uncharted in some parts is a bit frustrating (due to low frame rate). Then I play the Unit 13 demo, the game has much steadier frame rate and the aiming works great. So I think a COD and any shooter will be perfect on the system, as long as the frame rate is high/rock steady.

I'm speaking broadly here. I'm with Omaha Media Group (OMG), pretty kick ass place .

We're behind quite a few well known sites along with a few... Highly clever services and applications ;)

We're making waves in the midwest.

Cool, I'll read up on OMG. Nice acronyms ! ;-)

Did you try the motion assisted controls for Uncharted? Supposedly makes all the difference.

How do you turn it on ? I wanted to try gyro aiming. According to the settings, motion control is on by default, but I'm not seeing any effect.

I heard Unit 13's dual stick control scheme is good too.

EDIT: Just curious, how many players in your vicinity ?

I don't have the game, I just read about it. Maybe it's just very subtle? (like in Killzone 2)

Yesterday, "Near" counted 32 players. (including 5 of my colleagues I assume)

Cool, I'll read up on OMG. Nice acronyms ! ;-)

How do you turn it on ? I wanted to try gyro aiming. According to the settings, motion control is on by default, but I'm not seeing any effect.

Yeah it's on by default. Just tilt a bit in the direction you want. Seems to be reverse from what you expect initially though for left and right, may try to change that if there are settings. I could definitely see it work. Haven't gotten used to it quite yet.

It's definitely true that Uncharted is less a pick-up-and-play game than some other games, but that's ok of course.

EDIT: Just curious, how many players in your vicinity ?

Was 5 yesterday, and now it's 9 (may be because I've moved, at work now. It also shows my work address in Near, using the GPS and Google Maps apparently)

Had my Vita for a day and here are my thoughts.

1) The browser sucks balls. No HTML5 support means good-bye web video.
2) The keyboard sucks balls. As far as I know, this is Sony's first ground-up touch keyboard, and they left out even the most basic conventions: double-tap space to insert a period. Plus the 2ndary layout for numbers and special characters is weird.
3) This thing desperately needs a YouTube app.

It plays games very well, but everything else is very 1.0. Thankfully, these are all software problems that can be fixed down the road. The 5" OLED screen tempts you to use it for non-gaming activities, but they really need to smooth out the rough edges. Hopefully it'll get better in the future.

As an aside, part of me secretly hopes in 2-3 years, Sony comes out with the model they wish they could have today, 4G LTE, 8MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera, 28nm die shrink of the SoC and 1GB RAM so more apps (especially apps + web browser) can be open at the same time. The one thing the iPhone or 3DS is likely never to do is real-time portable online gaming on a cellular network. That would be something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back