B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

You can clearly see in the video that the PS3 version has worse LOD for shadows. Self shadows are poping near player or totally missing. The bug fest with decals is there too. The temporal AA is not working good in PS3 version. Maybe because of sub-HD?

About self shadows seem you are right, but on 360 if you don't install the game, pop in on the texture it's more evident and AF seem weak sometimes. It's just the pro & vs of both versions. The temporal AA (or custom AA of Crytek) it's almost useless in motion on both, a 'massive' fest of aliasing; sure not good how MLAA how Crytek quote sometimes ago. It's must be interesting if we have tried to combine MLAA+custom AA, but obviously the cost not allow that. I just hope the future update with adding culling on the spu can give free way for a further MLAA combination, but maybe my expectations are too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I understand it, MP can be more demanding than SP since it's less controlled. A SP designer can place 5 enemies in one area to fight against the player, they know the enemies weapons, options for the player/enemies, etc. However in MP the developer can't control if all 12 players want to grab rocket launchers, meet up in one location, and just blow each other up.

It's more complicated than just that. Assuming this is still P2P connections, the host has to do much of the work a server would normally do in a client-server setup. The available CPU and memory available on a system in that case is going to be a far more limiting factor than bandwidth for # of supported players. CPU and memory which must be dedicated to hosting the game session and thus cannot be used for rendering graphics. And in multiplayer the CPU time and memory amount used per additional player is generally quite a bit more than it is per additional AI NPC.

Regards,
SB

IGN 9.0 360

360 version

9.5 Graphics
Crysis 2 on Xbox 360 has taken the crown for best graphics in a console game. It's well animated and the effects are great, but light is always the star of the show.

IGN PS3 9.0

PS3 Version
8.5 Graphics
Crysis 2 looks great on PS3, but a worse framerate, lower resolution, and missing effects compared to the 360 release hurt it. PS3 owners expect more.

I don't take too seriously the ign statement :rolleyes: what the hell of features has less ps3? Jeez I hate when someone tries to pass how technical how seem more personal perspective... Did they have at least a serious analysis from that & to count the fps for confirm that? Just to know. From now I noticed only a worsen shadows pop in on the ps3...

About self shadows seem you are right, but on 360 if you don't install the game, pop in on the texture it's more evident and AF seem weak sometimes. It's just the pro & vs of both versions. The temporal AA (or custom AA of Crytek) it's almost useless in motion on both, a 'massive' fest of aliasing; sure not good how MLAA how Crytek quote sometimes ago. It's must be interesting if we have tried to combine MLAA+custom AA, but obviously the cost not allow that. I just hope the future update with adding culling on the spu can give free way for a further MLAA combination, but maybe my expectations are too high.
BS I'll tell you that.Crysis 2 in motion is clean and smooth looking game.Its not GOW III but I would put it beyond Reach in terms of crispness from what I'm seeing and thats certainly not "jaggie fest".

I don't take too seriously the ign statement :rolleyes: what the hell of features has less ps3? Jeez I hate when someone tries to pass how technical how seem more personal perspective... Did they have at least a serious analysis from that & to count the fps for confirm that? Just to know. From now I noticed only a worsen shadows pop in on the ps3...
I don't know who this Arthur Gies is, but people on GAF label him a 360 fanboy.

Judging by the screens, I have to agree that he has some bias. I mean, they look virtually identical and he rates the PS3 version 1 point lower? wtf?

I don't know who this Arthur Gies is, but people on GAF label him a 360 fanboy.

Judging by the screens, I have to agree that he has some bias. I mean, they look virtually identical and he rates the PS3 version 1 point lower? wtf?

He also mentioned framerate being less stable then on 360.
But i have seen too much name calling in that gaf thread.
Some are even saying Cod4 looks way better.

Personally from what i played at a friend the game actually quit smooth have to wait till Thursday when i get my 360 version.

BS I'll tell you that.Crysis 2 in motion is clean and smooth looking game.Its not GOW III but I would put it beyond Reach in terms of crispness from what I'm seeing and thats certainly not "jaggie fest".

eh... people can have different opinions on what they find acceptable. The thread's about Crysis 2 console differences, so let's not derail the discussion.

-----------
Also on another note, discussing review scores and user bias should be pretty far removed from the forums here... we've had plenty of derailed threads in the past from such things.

I can't take that seriously when the IQ looks this bad.
crysis2ps3vsxbox3606.jpg

I can't take that seriously when the IQ looks this bad.

hey, your choice but I suggest you see it running LIVE on a machine with a reasonably calibrated display before passing final judgement (since it is now released)

it is stunning in real life.

hey, your choice but I suggest you see it running LIVE on a machine with a reasonably calibrated display before passing final judgement (since it is now released)

it is stunning in real life.

I don't need to when the screenshot clearly shows major problems to not make it the best.Practically every edge has jaggies along with the low res look.

I don't need to when the screenshot shows clearly shows major problems to not make it the best.Practically every edge has jaggies along with the low res look.

Now you know why every company this gen uses bullshots, because the deception works.

I don't need to when the screenshot shows clearly shows major problems to not make it the best.Practically every edge has jaggies along with the low res look.
Wow, so everything that could occur on screen when playing is contained within that single screenshot? Pretty impressive.

Back