B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

Becouse demo had pretty bad framerate, graphicaly it was always nearly identical to 360 version.
Some people were complaining about the PS3 version after seeing the screenshots and videos of the SP from retail code. I always thought it looked nearly identical. I think they're just more upset by the fact that it runs at a lower resolution and/or they were judging it by the MP demo.

Regarding the MP performance, I have a gut feeling that the retail game will be a little better for a few reasons... one, there's already a patch available; and two, someone posted a YT video of the skyline map and said that it runs a little better than the demo.

Seems to be a lot more ghosting in the 360 shots, some look really bad. Ive seen LoT captures that look like that before though, when the actual game has nothing of the sort. Don't trust LoT captures one bit.

ps3-rollover_02.jpg

Why the texture on the ps3 here is so more crisper compared the first direct capture?:???:
crysis2360-4spo0.gif
?That gif is PS3 and 360 direct feed shots,not PS3 and PS3 LOT.

?That gif is PS3 and 360 direct feed shots,not PS3 and PS3 LOT.

I have posted 2 different shots... the first come to LoT & the second is the comparison in your quote between ps3/360. Just look the difference in details in the LoT picture & the first direct comparison to the sku... ps3 texture it's more sharper on LoT, indeed in the direct feed comparison, the texture clothes details are completely blurried on the ps3...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry just saw it now...I can't see it,doesn't load for me.Is it 720p or downsampled?
Here is another PS3 direct feed
http://www.irshell.org/img/crysis2/cloak2.png

I don't know but I have zoomed the pics on my pc, definitely the ps3 texture on the clothes not appears blurried how in the first direct comparison shot, I'm pretty sure in what I seen... unfortunately I don't know how to show to you that, it's the second picture in LoT comparison, the shoulder of the soldier with crappy texture on 360 but not on ps3... I have used that to verify the difference in texture sharpness in different capture on the ps3.

Other than the lower resolution of the ps3 version their seems to be a noticable difference in the lighting. Has this been discussed yet? It doesn't seem to be just a gamma issue.

Other than the lower resolution of the ps3 version their seems to be a noticable difference in the lighting. Has this been discussed yet? It doesn't seem to be just a gamma issue.
Different position of sun caused it.Don't know how LOT hasn't seen it...

To make it clear,

Single Player Campaign -- Crytek Frankfurt (the mother company)
Multiplayer: Crytek UK (Timesplitters creators, old Free Radical)

Maybe Crytek would run into the same problem as Batman Arkham City developers, so they let two different teams handle the MP and SP of the game.

http://www.qj.net/ps3/games/rockste...arkham-city-would-have-affected-quality.html?

MP is okay with some effects toned down -I am guessing here, but this seems to be typical Crysis-, and this can be forgiven because they would need some extra processing power for MP in order to handle everything like they do in SP, as far as I know.

I don't understand why MP needs more processing power than SP, when you don't have to process things like AI or load all the different NPC models etc. Especially when they only have 12 players per game.

IQ in SP is similar to Reach.some Crysis 2 levels look as crisp as Reach if not more,especially in darker levels.Its much better IQ than say BC2 that is 720p with no AA and there is absolutely no problems with it.

I played MP and people can see from my old post that I was kinda shocked at IQ,but SP has very clean look.

Yea, BC2 had quite poor IQ due to no AA and high contrast lighting, I remember playing the demo on PS3 and being turned off by it.

If the retail build of C2 has better IQ than the 360 demo and as good as Reach then there should be no big problems there.

Though you have to wonder why they couldn't just enable MLAA for the PS3 version, are they really maxing out SPU usage and can't afford to run the MLAA code? Or is it more to maintain parity with the 360?

Though you have to wonder why they couldn't just enable MLAA for the PS3 version, are they really maxing out SPU usage and can't afford to run the MLAA code? Or is it more to maintain parity with the 360?

They already evaluated MLAA and came to the conclusion that it was too expensive. Well, I mean, that sort of thing should be obvious when you consider the cost of reusing the previous frame & implementing a simple edge blur.

I really don't know why folks just assume MLAA is so easy to drop into a game when they have no idea how it fits into SPU frame timings... We know that it's not an insignificant cost spread across 5 SPUs. That's also going to be near the end of when the frame is rendered unless you want deferred render techniques nullifying the MLAA result.

Anyways, if they were so concerned about maintaining multiplatform parity, they would have made everything fit the lowest denominator. Biggest and simplest example would be reducing the resolution of the 360 version. Second would be maintaining AF parity, third might be using RGBK hdr encoding on 360 (instead of FP16 in eDRAM, R11G11B10 resolve), and so on...

They already evaluated MLAA and came to the conclusion that it was too expensive. Well, I mean, that sort of thing should be obvious when you consider the cost of reusing the previous frame & implementing a simple edge blur.

I really don't know why folks just assume MLAA is so easy to drop into a game when they have no idea how it fits into SPU frame timings... We know that it's not an insignificant cost spread across 5 SPUs. That's also going to be near the end of when the frame is rendered unless you want deferred render techniques nullifying the MLAA result.

Anyways, if they were so concerned about maintaining multiplatform parity, they would have made everything fit the lowest denominator. Biggest and simplest example would be reducing the resolution of the 360 version. Second would be maintaining AF parity, third might be using RGBK hdr encoding on 360 (instead of FP16 in eDRAM, R11G11B10 resolve), and so on...

Oh really - I was under the impression that MLAA is fairly trivial to incorporate (it seemed that way from how Sony & their devs talk about it eg. stuff like how the LBP team dropped it in one afternoon)

With regards to your LCD point, I agree but I think stuff like resolution differences or AF quality between the two consoles would be hard to notice visually and so devs don't mind having those minor differences but having MLAA on PS3 vs TAA & blur on 360 would be quite readily noticeable so they mightn't be comfortable with that kind of disparity.

Oh really - I was under the impression that MLAA is fairly trivial to incorporate (it seemed that way from how Sony & their devs talk about it eg. stuff like how the LBP team dropped it in one afternoon)

Sure, dropping in code is one thing. Making it work within their performance profiles is another...

They had RGB on full range for the ps3 version so the pics look more vibrant but also have more black crush. The zebra pattern on 360's shot looks totally out of whack, could lack of AF really do this much smudge to an image?

They had RGB on full range for the ps3 version so the pics look more vibrant but also have more black crush. The zebra pattern on 360's shot looks totally out of whack, could lack of AF really do this much smudge to an image?
Huh I think its just different look of zebra,not AF at all.Al should jump in but seems to me ps3 zebra is just thinner and 360 one is standard,fat one,with what looks like bleached sections from cars.

Back