B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

Huh I think its just different look of zebra,not AF at all.Al should jump in but seems to me ps3 zebra is just thinner and 360 one is standard,fat one,with what looks like bleached sections from cars.

What's the point of making zebra patterns different? Anyway we need more full sized directfeed shots for more precise comparison.

There seems to be slight blurring on PS3 shots duo to lower resolution but it seems like AF on wall in 3rd shot is higher in PS3 version.I'm glad they didn't go for total parity if consoles can do other things better than the other one.

I don't know whats the point but it looks to me that way.In 720p shot also.

A few things I noticed from those shots. Am I crazy to say the textures are actually a bit sharper on the ps3 version especially in the first comparison? The fire distortion effect seems to be missing in the 360 shot.

A few things I noticed from those shots. Am I crazy to say the textures are actually a bit sharper on the ps3 version especially in the first comparison? The fire distortion effect seems to be missing in the 360 shot.
On his arm?Yea,thats weird texture bug when you don't have game installed on your HDD.Checked on my TV and it looks sharp as that one I have posted before.

There are also differences in how trees are lit,and in bloom effect that i have seen from footages,seems bit less on PS3.There is definitely more AF on that 3rd shot on the wall on PS3 side.

I believe LoT guys dont install 360 version because it is not mandatory.
Could be some streaming delays compared to say the installed ps3 version.

On his arm?Yea,thats weird texture bug when you don't have game installed on your HDD.Checked on my TV and it looks sharp as that one I have posted before.

There are also differences in how trees are lit,and in bloom effect that i have seen from footages,seems bit less on PS3.There is definitely more AF on that 3rd shot on the wall on PS3 side.
Check the dude's chin on the right in the first pic, it's definitely sharper on ps3's. I thought the bloom is about the same, a bit more orange for the 360 though. Where did you get those shots from? They're the best quality I've seen yet.

ya, the bloom looks the same to me too. in the second pic, it appears to have more bloom on the 360 version (the added effect in the bottom right of the screen), but that may be simply because the player is in a slightly different spot.

Check the dude's chin on the right in the first pic, it's definitely sharper on ps3's. I thought the bloom is about the same, a bit more orange for the 360 though. Where did you get those shots from? They're the best quality I've seen yet.
I think there is also texture bug because there is texture loading on that guys shoulder as well.In this shot it appears to be exactly the same.I had comparison somewhere when you get out of the doors to the street,than big bloom,that HDR effect shines on you and it looked slightly pared back on ps3.Maybe because of different HDR method.No big deal.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/Crysis2360-4.jpg

I think character models look great btw.For example this one...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12527604/crysis/pictures/Crysis2_023.jpg

So it seems that best thing to do is to install the 360 version to HDD.
Definitely.Didn't check it without install but it definitely loads faster.I except it to have less pop in as well.PS3 has mandatory install so that might be problem with those textures loading later.

I think there is also texture bug because there is texture loading on that guys shoulder as well.In this shot it appears to be exactly the same.I had comparison somewhere when you get out of the doors to the street,than big bloom,that HDR effect shines on you and it looked slightly pared back on ps3.Maybe because of different HDR method.No big deal.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/NIGHTMAR3xGTx/Games/Crysis2360-4.jpg
Now that's better, looks like installation is a must then. Also can you confirm the heat or water distortion effect is missing from the 360 build?
edit. Just checked the distortion is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why MP needs more processing power than SP, when you don't have to process things like AI or load all the different NPC models etc. Especially when they only have 12 players per game.

The way I understand it, MP can be more demanding than SP since it's less controlled. A SP designer can place 5 enemies in one area to fight against the player, they know the enemies weapons, options for the player/enemies, etc. However in MP the developer can't control if all 12 players want to grab rocket launchers, meet up in one location, and just blow each other up.

One is slightly predictable/controllable, while the other isn't. Optimizing for the former seems like it would be easier than to optimize for the latter. So things may need to be scaled back or redesigned to help minimize any spikes.

Though you have to wonder why they couldn't just enable MLAA for the PS3 version, are they really maxing out SPU usage and can't afford to run the MLAA code? Or is it more to maintain parity with the 360?

On top of everything Al said, I also read that MLAA isn't the best pick for sub-HD resolutions. MLAA works better the higher resolution your game is running at. Could be wrong, don't remember where I read it, probably here. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I understand it, MP can be more demanding than SP since it's less controlled. A SP designer can place 5 enemies in one area to fight against the player, they know the enemies weapons, options for the player/enemies, etc. However in MP the developer can't control if all 12 players want to grab rocket launchers, meet up in one location, and just blow each other up.

One is slightly predictable/controllable, while the other isn't. Optimizing for the former seems like it would be easier than to optimize for the latter. So things may need to be scaled back or redesigned to help minimize any spikes.

On top of everything Al said, I also read that MLAA isn't the best pick for sub-HD resolutions. MLAA works better the higher resolution your game is running at. Could be wrong, don't remember where I read it, probably here. :p

Well, but cost a part, if MLAA was feasible, why not try its custom AA+MLAA? I think could to work greatly...

I'm struggling to find any meaningful differences between the two versions, as they stated. I think they did a really good job.

Back