3D Dot Heroes (From Software)

IGN review:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1084269p1.html

8.5/10

Closing Comments

It's hard to criticize 3D Dot Game Heroes for invoking Shigeru Miyamoto, widely recognized as gaming's most important figure, as its muse. 3D Dot Game Heroes offers a repackaged vintage gaming experience with obvious, but appropriate, improvements in graphics and presentation while leaving some elements -- like a frustrating difficulty -- untouched. Other Zelda imitators seem to lose sight of the playfulness and irreverence that Miyamoto and others infused classic games with, but 3D Dot Game Heroes never pretends that it's anything but a game, and games like 3D Dot Game Heroes should be played.

After playing through a long string of conflict-heavy games like FFXIII, Heavy Rain, MAG, and a little of GoW3, I am feeling a void for funny titles. Look forward to start Y3 (Karaoke bar !) and 3D Dot Heroes. Hopefully other players can help me get around the difficulty somehow. ;-)

Aiight, I think I'll pre-order it too. It smells like something that will be gone if I wait longer.

EDIT:
... and done !

The report cards are in !
[size=-2]I went through the GAF thread backwards.[/size]

Gaming Age = A
PS Nation = A
IGN = 8.5/10
Jush Push Start = 4.5/5
GamePro = 4.5/5
Game Informer = 8.5/10
Thunderbolt = 9/10
Wired = 8/10
Games Trailer = 8/10

G4TV has a video preview:
http://g4tv.com/videos/45330/3D-Dot-Game-Heroes-Hands-On-Preview/

Adding Kotaku to the mix:
http://kotaku.com/5522909/3d-dot-game-heroes-review-connecting-the-dots-to-the-past

Some will see 3D Dot Game Heroes as a homage to the classic video games of old, nostalgia sprinkled with humor and wrapped up in a lovely high-definition package. Others might shun it for being far too close to their beloved Zelda series, more mockery than tribute. There may be forum arguments, and pixelated blood might be spilled.

Meanwhile, those who ignore attempts to classify it and simply play the game will find themselves wrapped up in a good 10-20 hours of old-school adventuring goodness, retro enough to bring back memories while pretty enough to flaunt the power of their PlayStation 3.

It's the creativity that captured my imagination.

I loved Wind Waker. Played Ocarina of Time when Nintendo gave it out in a promo. I got stuck halfway and never complete it. I suspect I'll have problem completing 3D Dot Heroes as well.

Got it over lunch. Gamestop also gave me a schedule of upcoming games. It says:
* GT5 - 1 Nov
* The Last Guardian - 1 Nov :p
* EyePet - 1 Nov

Just a heads up, it looks like the game may be sold out in some areas already. May be a small print run.

The guy in front of me has a head full of grey hair. This game must be drawing some old gamers. :devilish:

Received my copy a few days ago and have been enjoying it so far. It's refreshing to see a game that doesn't take itself very seriously. My biggest complaint would be damage taken while attacking due to moving into the enemy in order to direct your sword. Probably something I'll adjust to over time.

Based on the low level of activity in this thread, it doesn't appear to be getting much attention (at least here on B3D). Hopefully From will benefit from word of mouth as they did with Demon Souls, and the reduced MSRP should help as well.

Just a heads up, it looks like the game may be sold out in some areas already. May be a small print run.
:

I suspect you may be right. I wonder what the internally projected sales for this were? Lower than Demon Souls due to its niche nature and limited marketing, or higher due to its reduced price?

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the look of it, but tend to run one game at a time, and at the moment I'm playing Borderlands.

Oh, I see. I tend to burn through games quickly, so I like to queue them up. I don't like to be without a new game waiting for me on the shelf. :D Speaking of Borderlands, I was enjoying that one, but stopped to play something else. Can't remember what title it was that bumped it. But I never got back to it. Playing 3D Dot Heroes and Africa at the moment. I think I'll add Borderlands back into the rotation to at least finish the campaign.

If it's a limited run game, and it plays well, it may mean we have to pay more to get it later. That's one of the reasons I jumped at 3D Dot Heroes. Currently making my way slowly through Y3. Too much sh*t in my business at the moment. :D

Back