Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Well, yes. If only because he would have been 3 points closer to Button and the WC would be that bit more interesting.
Indeed.

If Button does not drive like a champion these last few races and if he wins the WDC, it will be a kind of hollow victory. He needs to have a commanding drive, he needs to kick all the asses in the field, he needs to own them all.

Button needs better grid position.... Lately his qualifying isn't good enough. I think at Japan and Singapore he did a pretty good race.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some rumours floating around that RBR are keen on switching to Mercedes Benz (no shock there) but that MB want Kimi in the seat instead of Webber. Williams are waiting on the outcome of this as if RBR switch engines, then Williams take up the spare Renault slot.

But Mercedes isnt allowed to supply another team with engines so that means some team would have to go. It wont be brawn if the brawn/mercedes love stories are true. It wont be FI either as they just signed a contract last year and it wont be Mclaren either as while they might want to go, unless they already started developing their own engine a long time ago I doubt they will get a decent engine done before next season.

Didn't the FIA recently agree to allow engine manufactures to supply up to three additional teams now (what with the expansion of team next year)? Mercedes can supply another team without losing either Brawn/FI/Mclaren. Cosworth will be supplying 4 teams next year (assuming that they all make the grid).

Of course you can always believe those unlikely rumours of Mclaren buying the BMW engine facilities and going it alone. ;-)

Of course you can always believe those unlikely rumours of Mclaren buying the BMW engine facilities and going it alone. ;-)
Unlikely or not, you have to look at the driving forces behind the rumours and there does appear to be some sense to it all. Its obvious that McLaren are trying to set themselves up as a serious sportscar firm and, if they are not using 3rd party engines, why would they also not use their brand in F1 and position themselves directly against Ferrari?

I think the question of which came first - McLaren getting discgruntled at the notion of Mercedes investing in Brawn, or the overall corporate direction of McLaren no longer aligning to Mercedes?

Unlikely or not, you have to look at the driving forces behind the rumours and there does appear to be some sense to it all. Its obvious that McLaren are trying to set themselves up as a serious sportscar firm and, if they are not using 3rd party engines, why would they also not use their brand in F1 and position themselves directly against Ferrari?

I think the question of which came first - McLaren getting discgruntled at the notion of Mercedes investing in Brawn, or the overall corporate direction of McLaren no longer aligning to Mercedes?

Oh I think there's definitely sense behind them and I'd be surprised if McLaren aren't working behind the scenes to get themselves into this position, and it's clear that relations between the two are frosty to say the least. I'd just be mightily surprised to see things happen so quickly in time for the '10 season.

Who knows though, I've been surprised before and no doubt I'll be surprised again.

Yeah, I'm unconvinced about 2010. Though it will be interesting to see if the FIA go ahead with "Engine Rebalancing" (aka drop the Mercedes engine performance down a notch) and whether that would have any bearing on McLarens current thinking.

...McLaren are trying to set themselves up as a serious sportscar firm and, if they are not using 3rd party engines, why would they also not use their brand in F1 and position themselves directly against Ferrari?

Since when do they have their own engine? :?: Their upcoming car ain't in-house either.

BMW engine facilities are in Munich directly inside BMW. I doubt anyone could ever buy that without buying the whole company. McL could get the people though.

Some rumours floating around that RBR are keen on switching to Mercedes Benz (no shock there) but that MB want Kimi in the seat instead of Webber. Williams are waiting on the outcome of this as if RBR switch engines, then Williams take up the spare Renault slot.

Williams won't be using Renault, I'm not allowed to say just yet who they will be using but it's not hard to work out....

Williams won't be using Renault, I'm not aloud to say just yet who they will be using but it's not hard to work out....

...well it seems that Cosworth are the frontrunners. Even talk of Williams investing in the firm and becoming very close partners, which could be interesting.

But wasnt the cosworth engine supposed to be worthless? With fuel consumption much higher than other engines meaning teams using them basically dont stand a chance of winning because they have to carry all the extra fuel? The link was in this topic.

After years Williams finally had a decent season again. Wouldnt it be stupid to now switch to a engine you know wont be competative?

OTOH, Williams has been seriously ass kissing FIA recently so maybe this is just another way of getting up the FIA's butthole...

The Cosworth engine was powerful but not very fuel efficient. IIRC Williams themselves put the blame on their uncompetitive challenge down to their inability to produce a good car rather than the Cosworth engine - they were of the opinion that the engine was plenty good enough to compete. The switch to Toyota was as much a financial decision as anything else.

Of course the Toyota engine is also meant to be thirsty, which is part of the reason why they want to change engine in the first place. Hard to tell what the Cosworth will be like, but I guess if any of this is true then Williams will be seeing this as a long-term plan more than anything else - a chance to secure what would be in effect their own engine.

That may be true for the old Cossy but the rumors are that the new Cossy isnt much good.

And if the old cossy was really that good I wonder why FI and Red Bull/torro rosso also dropped it.

According to spanish Sport -magazine, Lewis has threatened to leave McLaren if Kimi joins the team, getting nervous there? :p

Back