Japan Sales Thread

It could also be that they are hoping to grab a larger chunk of the US market.

But many of these games were far more popular in Japan when the Playstation was the most popular console in both territories. Maybe they believe that their fortunes will change this time...SE's been known to make irrational decisions before.

Media Create numbers:
DSi 41,839
PSP 29,552
Xbox 360 25,334
Wii 16,973
PS3 16,149
DS Lite 9,975
PS2 5,029

Ouch at everyone, but Wii is particularly ugly.

MS is happy, but I bet Tri-Ace and Square Enix aren't so thrilled and are probably seeing the wisdom in Capcom's strategies.

Are you thinking that SE were counting on greater success in Western markets? Other than that I can't really see how the results of their efforts just in Japan could be viewed as disappointing since I'm not sure why they would have had reason to have an expectation of better given where the 360 platform stood there at the time these deals were signed. Even now, it still hasn't reached a million units and yet has seen unprecedented success when compared to its predecessor. Do you think SE expected more? My guess is that whatever deal they reached was favorable enough to be a "can't lose" proposition.

Are you thinking that SE were counting on greater success in Western markets? Other than that I can't really see how the results of their efforts just in Japan could be viewed as disappointing since I'm not sure why they would have had reason to have an expectation of better given where the 360 platform stood there at the time these deals were signed. Even now, it still hasn't reached a million units and yet has seen unprecedented success when compared to its predecessor. Do you think SE expected more? My guess is that whatever deal they reached was favorable enough to be a "can't lose" proposition.

Do you think they set out to have their IP fall flat? I do think they expected better results from the West, but I also think they were caught off-guard by the difficulty of PS3 development and may actually have expected better results from the 360 in Japan.

Star Ocean 4 had a solid debut of 131k first day sales (could be 180-200k first week) while dead rising chop till you drop claimed bomb status in Wii with just 6.4k first day sales.

Wii seems to really be in some trouble in Japan..last week PS3 was only 2k behind it (19k vs 21k) and PS3+360 (29k) easily topped it. Morever, I'm certain Wii is far lower than PS2's sales rate at this point in it's life.

Then why not post the numbers? I'm sure people will be interested.

Media Create numbers:
DSi 41,839
PSP 29,552
Xbox 360 25,334
Wii 16,973
PS3 16,149
DS Lite 9,975
PS2 5,029

Ouch at everyone, but Wii is particularly ugly.
Ouch at _everyone_? I'd say 25K in one week for the 360 is most certainly not an ouch :) Especially since it makes them less than 75K from the 1 million mark. I would bet money that there'll be a press release when the 360 hits a million in Japan.

Also, 160K in a week is no Halo, but it's pretty good for a JRPG, especially on a console with only 6 times that install base. I'm certainly looking forward to buying it when it hits our shores.

Actually that is pretty pathetic by major JRPG standards in Japan. US and Europe usually sells equal or less than on the major JRPG's in Japan.

Actually that is pretty pathetic by major JRPG standards in Japan. US and Europe usually sells equal or less than on the major JRPG's in Japan.

Not this gen it isn't, excluding handhelds. And IIRC, SO4 sold almost similar to it's PS2 predecessors. Also I know WKC did about the same, and best selling 360 game to date in Japan is Blu Dragon at 204k lifetime, which SO4 should obviously surpass.

Ouch at _everyone_? I'd say 25K in one week for the 360 is most certainly not an ouch :) Especially since it makes them less than 75K from the 1 million mark. I would bet money that there'll be a press release when the 360 hits a million in Japan.

Well, console sales are down overall. 360 is up, and 25k is not bad, but it's hardly great. Arguing that the 360 is doing well because it normally sells 9k is sorta like arguing that the PS3 is doing great because it's selling as much as it is and costs twice as much as a 360.

Also, 160K in a week is no Halo, but it's pretty good for a JRPG, especially on a console with only 6 times that install base. I'm certainly looking forward to buying it when it hits our shores.

It's the best release on the 360 so far, so in that vein it's great. It's way down from previous entries in the series, though. Good for MS, great for 360 owners, probably not such a great deal for Tri-Ace.

This is a better source: link. He uses Famitsu hardware numbers. I think it was said that Media Create has some missing spots early in the timeline, and that's why they use Famitsu. Whereas VGchartz doesn't cite their sources. Anyway, the PS2 has jumped out about 4 weeks ahead of the Wii.

The current Wii slump could very well be the result of Japanese third parties having bet on the wrong horse. Nintendo can't release their software fast enough to sustain the momentum, and it's finally catching up with them.

Thanks, Wii and PS2 are actually pretty close then, also PS2 had a price cut by then while Wii hasn't yet. They may need one soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Wii and PS2 are actually pretty close then, also PS2 had a price cut by then while Wii hasn't yet. They may need one soon.

They need games more than anything else. Re-released GCN games for Wii doesn't seem to cut it, and Wii Music/Animal Crossing haven't really buoyed them the way Wii Fit managed to.

PS2 starting price was much higher though. Imo Nintendo needs to do some miracles if they want to sell over 22 Million Wiis in Japan, especially when it seems that handhelds have risen to be way more popular there. I don't see it happening.

Yep, Yakuza 3. Apparently it sold ~350-380k first week, which is the best result for a Yakuza game so far. No idea if it'll have legs.

Back