Sony Gamer's Day 2008 (May 6, 2008)

Personally im not all that impressed. Doesn't look all that better than say CoD4. It may do stuff technically better but the differences on screen aren't all that (aspecially considering since CoD4 is 60fps).

Nice animations and all that, but that particular video didn't really wow me.

Oh well opinions and all that. I guess if you're sensitive to frame-rate 60fps would matter; I struggle to notice the difference. (In fact I wonder why I bought my new HDTV when my Elite and PS3 don't look that different!). To be honest I'd rather have some eye-candy over 60fps. Especially in a FPS.

Oh well opinions and all that. I guess if you're sensitive to frame-rate 60fps would matter; I struggle to notice the difference. (In fact I wonder why I bought my new HDTV when my Elite and PS3 don't look that different!). To be honest I'd rather have some eye-candy over 60fps. Especially in a FPS.

I'd take HD over 600p though :D

How about some more Killzone (LittleBigPlanet inspired...or visa versa)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my God! See what they have done there in Killzone?? They remade the area that we saw in the E3 2005 trailer

I prefer 60 fps any time.
Everytime I start playing COD4 after playing any other game, I go "wow, this runs fantasticly smoothly. I wish all games would run like this".

I didn't indend to start a FPS debate, what i meant was that the KZ2 gameplay video i quoted, didn't imo look all that amazing compared what CoD4 looks like (im not saying CoD4 looks better, im saying they look fairly close), aspecially considering CoD4 runs at double the framerate. It looked nice and all, but i didn't really get wowed by it.

Maybe that particular gameplay video was rather bad to use as a showcase for KZ2 graphics, but i expected more. Aspecially considering that KZ2 is a very high budget exclusive title, wheras CoD4 on the PS3 is a port\multiplatform title.

But if a game is locked at a rock solid 30fps (like Resistance 1) it's better than a game that runs at 60 fps that is prone to the occasional dip like R & C for example.

Resistance seems smoother because it never fails to hit 30fps.

I didn't indend to start a FPS debate, what i meant was that the KZ2 gameplay video i quoted, didn't imo look all that amazing compared what CoD4 looks like (im not saying CoD4 looks better, im saying they look fairly close), aspecially considering CoD4 runs at double the framerate. It looked nice and all, but i didn't really get wowed by it.

Maybe that particular gameplay video was rather bad to use as a showcase for KZ2 graphics, but i expected more. Aspecially considering that KZ2 is a very high budget exclusive title, wheras CoD4 on the PS3 is a port\multiplatform title.

But but..

The only other two *very* high budget titles I can think of are what..?

GTAIV & Halo 3..?

Not sure how many of them look as good as KZ2 (even in this trailer)..

People do follow brands, that's true, but given two choices:
A) A console that is not reliable at all (at least it has fame from the RROD problem)
B) A console that comes from the same company that made the PS2 that most people find it to be reliable and were quite happy with it

Well, the choice is not hard to make. This matter is not just about brands. I'm just suprised how MS sales are so good. Maybe XBL is helping here.

Reliability of a game console is not the primary concern for a buyer, at least it shouldn't be; particularly when there's a 3-year guarantee.

I understand that RROD is a problem, it'd probably annoy me too. But it can't be important, looking at how the 360 bludgeons the PS3 in the US.

Reliability of a game console is not the primary concern for a buyer, at least it shouldn't be; particularly when there's a 3-year guarantee.

I understand that RROD is a problem, it'd probably annoy me too. But it can't be important, looking at how the 360 bludgeons the PS3 in the US.

It generally isn't a concern for buyers considering the notion most will probably have at sale of "well I've heard it's an issue but i'm sure it won't happen for me.."

At least that's what I thought when I got mine initially.. Not so much after it bricked only 3 months later..

Ironically I still don't regret my purchase decision at the time..

No matter it's or not a rational attitude, I think this has hurt MS badly here (at least in France), It's bring in every discussion by MS haters or Sony lovers.

Maybe the problem is more relevant to Europe are we always have for this kind of product a two a two years garantee.

What hurts MS the most in Europe is lack of mindshare

Boss running around alert will complete post later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another COD4 vs Killzone 2 debate just like the older thread

This has been discussed before and we all know after we got our hands on COD4 that apart from being 60fps everything else in the game is pretty much standard. Nothing that hasnt been done before, nothing technically mindblowing whatsoever.

Killzone 2, based on these videos boasts more moving objects on screen, more detailed models and probably more detailed environments. The AI animation is also untouched by COD4. Not to mention the lighting and shadows

Yeah, sorry - I didn't think that was your intention. Hence my "opinions" comment.

That other 60fps stuff was just an aside.

Cheers.

And Nesh, Ostepop just said he didn't want to start a FPS debate! :p

Heh, I remember the reaction when the first COD4 movies came out. "This means teh KZ CG movie is possible to do in realtime!!4!"

And now it's just standard stuff...

Why do I always have to be at work when these things happen... I want my KZ2 fix :devilish:
And by your comments people... I think that the first thing I'll do once I'm home is check gametrailers:smile:

Heh, I remember the reaction when the first COD4 movies came out. "This means teh KZ CG movie is possible to do in realtime!!4!"

That was based on carefully edited COD4 trailers. When normal gameplay footage begun to emerge this impression started to disappear.
Yeah, sorry - I didn't think that was your intention. Hence my "opinions" comment.

That other 60fps stuff was just an aside.

Cheers.

And Nesh, Ostepop just said he didn't want to start a FPS debate! :p

But a comparison was mentioned, and it was part of his argument. You cant reply without talking about it :p

It is a mater of oppinion and aesthetics also. I never found COD4 to be as impressive as Halo 3 for example. I could never understand why everyone found it so good looking...

Another COD4 vs Killzone 2 debate just like the older thread

This has been discussed before and we all know after we got our hands on COD4 that apart from being 60fps everything else in the game is pretty much standard. Nothing that hasnt been done before, nothing technically mindblowing whatsoever.

Killzone 2, based on these videos boasts more moving objects on screen, more detailed models and probably more detailed environments. The AI animation is also untouched by COD4. Not to mention the lighting and shadows

But remember that KZ2 isnt out yet either. Though CoD4 has nothing against KZ2 regarding shadows, animations (though not far off in some cases) and to a certain point lighting (CoD4 was very inconsistent in the lighting department IMO).
Though I dont agree on the amount of stuff happening, there are levels in CoD4 with lots of rocket trails, tracers, units moving etc. Otherwise I mean a couple of trails on the sky, random explosions and limited amount of soldiers and lots of background looping combat sounds isnt that much to begin with (or am I living in the wrong gen?). ;)

Back