Sony Gamer's Day 2008 (May 6, 2008)

I'm utterly speachless after watching those KillZone 2 videos. WOW!

And IGN says it's subtly beautiful. Kotaku say the screenshots are nearly PS2 standard. What's happening to games journalists? Or do we nee our eyes changed? Because I'm seeing something dangerously close to the best looking game I've set my eyes on.

I'm amazed at all these people stunned at Killzone 2 vids. Yeah, it looks great, where have you been the last year?

It's just like a plethora of people on the internet apparently seeing Killzone 2 for the first time or something.

KZ2 does look fantastic, it really does, but and I don't know if I'm correct here, but the game looks like it plays like the COD games. It seems from those gameplay video's you are asked to go from one section to another with set peices going off, explosions look great but don't seem to cause and damage to players. I just got a very prettty but linear and set peice COD vibe from the videos.

And IGN says it's subtly beautiful. Kotaku say the screenshots are nearly PS2 standard. What's happening to games journalists? Or do we nee our eyes changed? Because I'm seeing something dangerously close to the best looking game I've set my eyes on.

The screenshots don't impress so much. It's seeing the thing moving is what makes it so impressive. I guess what makes it subtly beautiful is that there isn't really anything in the gameplay that looks beautiful, and yet the overall quality of the picture, the lighting and post processing effects, and the camera work ooze quality and high production values, and just look awesome. I think that's the reason why IGN and Kotaku respond as they do.

I'm amazed at all these people stunned at Killzone 2 vids. Yeah, it looks great, where have you been the last year?

It's just like a plethora of people on the internet apparently seeing Killzone 2 for the first time or something.

Rangers. The colour and lighting looks much more improved in this video - at least we get to see it this time. The animation and texture detail is really just so impressive. I mean seriously, for a technical forum - I'd expect everyone to be blown away by that for a game that's 8months away from completion.

Isn't this what techies want to see? A developer that has used graphics techniques to such a level that they've created something that looks outstanding?

It does have that CoD4 camera and reload movement. Thought that is good and gives a more immersive and cinematic feeling.

Man I missed the net for half a day and looks like I missed a lot!!!!!! KILLZONE is BACK !!!
I have seen only one gameplay video as of yet and it looks better than the whole trailer of last year !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Rangers. The colour and lighting looks so much more improved in this video. The animation and texture detail is really just so impressive. I mean seriously, for a technical forum - I'd expect everyone to be blown away by that for a game that's 8months away from completion.

It does look good with outstanding art, weapon/animation (belongs at the top), and detailed bits along the way (destruction, environment) and tech. Though it is far from mind blowing (well maybe watching it in such small clips it may look like it). The lighting though reminds me quite a bit of the Cod4 ship mission, both looking very good. I based my impressions on both videos and screenshots btw. :smile:

KZ2 does look fantastic, it really does, but and I don't know if I'm correct here, but the game looks like it plays like the COD games. It seems from those gameplay video's you are asked to go from one section to another with set peices going off, explosions look great but don't seem to cause and damage to players. I just got a very prettty but linear and set peice COD vibe from the videos.

Which is bad because?

Did any of those elements in any way hamper COD from going on to recieve massive critical acclaim & reaping huge sales..?

[non-directed rant]
I just don't get all the cynicism against this game that so blatantly looks the sh**..

Fair enough we don't know about the gameplay until we get it into our hands but all this "oh it just looks like a FPS" or "It doesn't look that great" bullsh** is just sad really..

[/non-directed rant]

Which is bad because?

Did any of those elements in any way hamper COD from going on to recieve massive critical acclaim & reaping huge sales..?

[non-directed rant]
I just don't get all the cynicism against this game that so blatantly looks the sh**..

Fair enough we don't know about the gameplay until we get it into our hands but all this "oh it just looks like a FPS" or "It doesn't look that great" bullsh** is just sad really..

[/non-directed rant]

Well its not bad in anyway bar that I hope it is more open than say say COD. I didn't think I indicated that it was a bad idea anyway. I was trying to get a grip on how the gameplay structure was being executed, we all know it looks fanatstic. Sorry if it came across as a negative.

It's kinda hard to beat a Sony console when people are choosing every piece of their A/V equipment based on just the brand.

Seriously, how can someone spend a lot of money on a TV without even looking at the competition, just to have it match up with the DVD player and the speakers??? And I'm talking about intelligent, educated friends here who really should know better.

Not that Sony LCD TVs are bad or anything, but it's still abnormal behaviour IMHO.

People do follow brands, that's true, but given two choices:
A) A console that is not reliable at all (at least it has fame from the RROD problem)
B) A console that comes from the same company that made the PS2 that most people find it to be reliable and were quite happy with it

Well, the choice is not hard to make. This matter is not just about brands. I'm just suprised how MS sales are so good. Maybe XBL is helping here.

The thing I don't get is some of these editors gave GTA4 a 10 for graphics.

I do think GTA IV graphics are quite good. I'll give them a 9. If it runned smoothly at 60 fps I would give them a 10.

Have you guys ever took a ride on the back seat of a cab? Most realistic thing I' ve seen on a console video game.

Have you guys ever entered the Bowling room or the Cabaret? Very detailed environments with no loading times. If that is not good, and don't know what is.

Back