New 80GB PS3 SKU coming June (MGS4/DS3 bundle)

A lower-priced ANYTHING is "more attractive" than the same thing at a higher price. There is such a thing as not wanting to shovel money out the window, however.

Q2 is going to see some damn compelling titles out there, so they're going to want to cash in on that as much as possible. They already had a major price drop before year 1 was up, and even if they DO have further price drop plans, they're going to aim it for the holiday season again, rather than 6 months down the line.

They'll build some compelling bundles, capitalize on key titles, and see how far they can run.

Good points.

And now with BOM console in levels sub US$400 for version 80GB * they would be make some good profit,gains etc

* version 40GB 65nm RSX and CBE maybe cost something like US$300 or less.

(I Think they cannot going to psp way and wait too much fo reduce price US$249 to 169 for consummers)

One More Thing.

I expect DTS-HD Master Audio to be added to a coming PS3 revision.

I don't. DTS has a different philosphoy in that they want the bitstream sent to the receiver and have the decoding done there. It'd be great if they allow bitstreaming of TrueHD/DTS HD MA but I won't hold my breath.

I don't. DTS has a different philosphoy in that they want the bitstream sent to the receiver and have the decoding done there. It'd be great if they allow bitstreaming of TrueHD/DTS HD MA but I won't hold my breath.

Huh? DTS HD Master can be decoded on the player or bitstreamed, there is no "different philosophy" so far as I'm aware. The issue from original reports from SCE (covered here on B3D thanks to one, I believe) indicate the issue with internal decoding (to be sent out as LPCM) stem from ensuring they'll be able to decode it internally and handle future BD functionality (such as PiP). Recent looks into the PS3's SiL9132 HDMI chipset seem to indicate that it cannot bitstream TrueHD or DTS HD MA, due to being one of the earliest releases from Silicon Image. Its uncertain whether a firmware update for the HDMI chipset itself to allow such functionality is possible. However, I would not be surprised to see internal decoding of DTS HD MS. Dolby True HD internal decoding was added not to long ago (but no bitstreaming, of course).

Isn't there a problem with the ps3's hdmi chip not being able to bitstream dts hd ma?

As much as I hate to say this, the current PS3 models will never bitstream the lossless codecs. The HDMI chip in the PS3's is a SIL Vastline 9132. Bitstreaming was not supported in that line until the 9134. This was confirmed by a member of AVS forums who contacted the chip manufacturer.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showpost.php?p=703418&postcount=76

edit - too slow ...

Huh? DTS HD Master can be decoded on the player or bitstreamed, there is no "different philosophy" so far as I'm aware. The issue from original reports from SCE (covered here on B3D thanks to one, I believe) indicate the issue with internal decoding (to be sent out as LPCM) stem from ensuring they'll be able to decode it internally and handle future BD functionality (such as PiP). Recent looks into the PS3's SiL9132 HDMI chipset seem to indicate that it cannot bitstream TrueHD or DTS HD MA, due to being one of the earliest releases from Silicon Image. Its uncertain whether a firmware update for the HDMI chipset itself to allow such functionality is possible. However, I would not be surprised to see internal decoding of DTS HD MS. Dolby True HD internal decoding was added not to long ago (but no bitstreaming, of course).

No BR player on the market that I know of is doing internal decoding of DTS HD MA and sending it out via LPCM. They're simply taking the 1.5mbps core and leaving the extensions untouched. It's been discussed many times at AVS and insider response seems that indicate that DTS prefers to have their DTS HD MA codec decoded (fully) at the AVR level, not the player level.

Panasonic, Sony and Denon have all announced players that will do full decoding for DTS HD MA. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 is updated around the time these players release like with profile 1.1.

Panasonic, Sony and Denon have all announced players that will do full decoding for DTS HD MA. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 is updated around the time these players release like with profile 1.1.

Oh sweet! Thanks for that info. My bad :( That's great news though and if the PS3 does get DTS HD MA decoding I'll have no reason to get a stand alone player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any movies are yet released that use DTS HD MA, are they? So it seems a moot point as to whether the PS3 supports it.

Another question. We have PCM and TrueHD, so why do we (or the PS3 in particular) need yet another lossless bitstream?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any movies are yet released that use DTS HD MA, are they? So it seems a moot point as to whether the PS3 supports it.

Another question. We have PCM and TrueHD, so why do we (or the PS3 in particular) need yet another lossless bitstream?

Fox and New Line movies use DTS HD MA. If those two jumped ship then it wouldn't be an issue.

lots: all fox and newline titles have it. currently ps3 extracts dts core (dvd quality) soundtrack fro those. as for need for two lossless codec's - it is to give studios choice.

Most if not all Fox titles have DTS HD MA. PCM uses much more space so lossless would be preferred once we start getting more bonus material in HD. I'm not very familiar with TrueHD but I hear there are issues of some kind with it in relation to dialog normalization. I believe DTS core still offers better bitrates compared to Dolby Digital so some may prefer 1.5Mbps to 640K for the older formats.

lots: all fox and newline titles have it. currently ps3 extracts dts core (dvd quality) soundtrack fro those. as for need for two lossless codec's - it is to give studios choice.

Well, not DVD quality by a long shot... rather much much improved.

Anyway let's not turn this thread into a DTS-MA thread if we can help it, as that discussion tends to creep up often enough elsewhere. ;)

Don't put too much faith in the PS2 compatibility list. I have both a 60GB and 80GB PS3, and of the several PS2 games I've wanted to play recently, all had noticeable issues on the 80GB that rendered them rather unplayable, despite being listed as having "no major issues" on Sony's compatibility list. They all played perfectly on the 60GB.
The ones I've tested between my unit and my brother's has matched up pretty well. ^_^ Not long-term testing, though, which is I suppose what counts. Seemed good enough so far, tho.

I think was Cell was 65nm in the 40gb models as of Nov? I'm sure someone has better info on when 65nm first appeared.

Also just saw that it appears the bundle won't be available in Europe?

God dammit. This sucks so damn much. Every time I see something that makes me want to pick up a PS3 something always gets in the way.

You know what is really annoying? The $AUD is currently performing at over $USD0.91. The RRP of the PS3 here is $AUD699. WTF are Europe and constantly being pushed around like this? :devilish: Now we don't even get a pack-in rumble controller when they're released? Arrggh.

/rant

Wouldn't sweat it. Seems like things tend to work out for both sides in different ways when it comes to metal gear. I wanted metal gear saga. But will probably buy this new three game bundle which is cheaper. The PSP game would have been a nice touch to help me get out of my other uses for PSP. But hey, it's money I wouldn't have spent separately that was saved from the whole.

Generally Europe got all the cool MGS special editions first, with behind the scenes and added bonuses before we did. So they probably have a better deal in store for EU later on.

Back