NPD June 2007

why do you think the core will sell beter than before just because it is 200$?
within a few month the N will be able to ship enought wii,so the customer will not have reason to buy an xbcore.

Why do you think it won't? The evidence from 20 years of console history (and hundreds of years of actual history) is that lower prices spur demand. Why are there still people who don't believe this?

Why do you think it won't? The evidence from 20 years of console history (and hundreds of years of actual history) is that lower prices spur demand. Why are there still people who don't believe this?

Presumably because of Apple. ;)

Because apple charges you a small fortune with their iPods but still they sell a shitload of them even though there are (alot) cheaper models offering the same or better quality.

Because apple charges you a small fortune with their iPods but still they sell a shitload of them even though there are (alot) cheaper models offering the same or better quality.

Apple would probably sell a lot more units if Ipods were cheaper though. For various reasons Ipods are more desired by people than the not so well known competition, that's why they sell despite the high price, but it doesn't change the fact that most goods sell more if they reduce in price. Game consoles certainly fall into this category.

Sony tried to do what Apple had succeeded, in essence putting faith on brand regognition and placing the product more towards higher end with high end look and feel and even are broadening the core purposes of the unit to more than just gaming, so far the success has been limited, eventhough the product itself definately is good.

If you want to compare a console to an iPod, it would be the Wii, not PS3.

A slick user interface is allowing them to address a much larger market than even possible before, even though the technology is not particularly impressive for the money you pay. You could get a PS2 for half the price which has almost the same functions, but it's not nearly as cool. MS and Sony are like Sandisk and Creative, and are almost irrelevant competitors to Nintendo right now. Some superior products, but not enough people care.

He said Ipod, not Iphone.

I suppose you could compare the PS3 and Iphone, though. I think Apple pulled it off a bit better than Sony, though. :p

Even though looking at the price of the iphone, I'm not sure how people can argue the PS3 isn't good value.

The market for mobile phones is much broader than consoles. A $1000 mobile can be very successful also because it's easier to market and use it as a status symbol.
And consoles still are very much viewed as toys.

He said Ipod, not Iphone.

I suppose you could compare the PS3 and Iphone, though. I think Apple pulled it off a bit better than Sony, though. :p

Even though looking at the price of the iphone, I'm not sure how people can argue the PS3 isn't good value.

The market for mobile phones is much broader than consoles. A $1000 mobile can be very successful also because it's easier to market and use it as a status symbol.
And consoles still are very much viewed as toys.

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind when I wrote my post. But hey, my wife didn't ask me for a PS3 she did ask me for an iPhone ;) so take that as you will. I do think the PS3 has good value to it, but it is harder to get the wife to buy off on something she isn't gonna use everyday.

On Topic:

Well how much longer do we have to put up with people swearing up and down that the Wii is gonna fizzle out? It is doing extremely well. I do hope Sony and MS are taking some notes on this.

...I do hope Sony and MS are taking some notes on this.

I hope they aren't taking too many notes!

"make console cheap, slightly increase gpu and cpu power over last gen, add motion control, keep tabs on profits"

Affordable is good, but at the expense of power isn't a good thing IMO.

I'd say MS has the best mix right now in this regard.

Well how much longer do we have to put up with people swearing up and down that the Wii is gonna fizzle out? It is doing extremely well. I do hope Sony and MS are taking some notes on this.
I don't! I'd hate for console gaming tech to hit the pause button for 5 years, and I'd hate for traditional gamers to be forgotten in favour of less sophisticated gamers. Let Nintendo have their Wii and uber-sales if they get 'em, but not to the detriment of those of us who want something else. Just as all the Barbie lovers of the world are pleased that the creators of Barbie knew their market and didn't try to turn Barbie into Furby or Cabbage Patch Kids when they were all the rage.

The Wii and PS3 are on the extreme ends of the spectrum. If MS would of given up a price cut I think the xbox would of been a perfect medium. Sure the Wii does not have enough goodies under the hood and the PS3 200 to expensive for a movie format I could careless about. I think the lesson sony should take is not to use gamers to push some movie format. I never wanna see a 599 dollar priced console were 1/3 of the cost is for IMO almost useless for most gamers. A 299/399 priced PS3 with out blue ray would of had me instantly. Sony should of either cut blue ray or delayed the system till it was affordable to put in like the PS2 and DVD.

Because value is in the eye of the consumer. The PS3 is primarily being marketed at gamers, mostly former PS2 owners. They want to play games. More importantly they want to play their favorite games: GTA, GT, MGS, FF, etc... and they can't do that on PS3 right now. Nor do they really want to for $599. That's the essential value problem with the PS3 right now: "$599 and I can't even play my favorite franchises?" It's kind of obvious when you think of it.

The Wii and PS3 are on the extreme ends of the spectrum. If MS would of given up a price cut I think the xbox would of been a perfect medium. Sure the Wii does not have enough goodies under the hood and the PS3 200 to expensive for a movie format I could careless about. I think the lesson sony should take is not to use gamers to push some movie format. I never wanna see a 599 dollar priced console were 1/3 of the cost is for IMO almost useless for most gamers. A 299/399 priced PS3 with out blue ray would of had me instantly. Sony should of either cut blue ray or delayed the system till it was affordable to put in like the PS2 and DVD.

Yes. Sony paid a very dear price to put Blu-Ray out there. I'm not sure if it'll pay off in the end or not. So far it has been a fiasco of epic proportions.

Because value is in the eye of the consumer. The PS3 is primarily being marketed at gamers, mostly former PS2 owners. They want to play games. More importantly they want to play their favorite games: GTA, GT, MGS, FF, etc... and they can't do that on PS3 right now. Nor do they really want to for $599. That's the essential value problem with the PS3 right now: "$599 and I can't even play my favorite franchises?" It's kind of obvious when you think of it.

Yah, I get it. I wouldn't pay that much for a PS3. In a year or two, I might get one, or maybe a 360, if the price has dropped. I just find it weird that they were able to sell so many iPhones on launch weekend ... if people were to complain about anything being a ripoff, it should be the iPhone.

Yah, I get it. I wouldn't pay that much for a PS3. In a year or two, I might get one, or maybe a 360, if the price has dropped. I just find it weird that they were able to sell so many iPhones on launch weekend ... if people were to complain about anything being a ripoff, it should be the iPhone.

The price for high tech mobile devices has been established. The iPhone is not setting a higher standard in terms of price (its no more expensive than a high end Blackberry). The PS3 did attempt to set a higher standard for consoles in terms of price and has failed.

Back