1368739565123ujc.jpg

Nintendo April Numbers:
-Lego City 3DS: 94K digital and physical combined
-Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 140K digital and physical combined

Nintendo LTD Numbers:
-Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 530K digital and physical combined LTD
-New Super Mario Bros. U: 770K digital and physical combined LTD

Hardware (LOL):
Xbox 360: 130K (-44.9%) [NPD: Top selling platform, so everything including handhelds is less.]

Gaf extrapolation:
Xbox 360 = 130K
PS3 = 102K
3DS = 100K
NDS = 60K
Wii = 42K
Wii U = 38K
PSV = 15K
PS2 + PSP = 7K

Ouch. The numbers are pretty good in m eyes for both PS3 and 360 considering they have successors coming out later this year. The shocker to me is Wii outselling Wii U by 4k units. That really smells bad for Nintendo. It just goes to show that no games means no sales. Vita sales are also depressing and might need something like a redesign into other forms to get it rolling again. Nintendo's got a firm grip on the traditional handheld market as usual, so that's a bright spot for them.

Plus it's April, which means the slow season is upon us. With the new gen consoles on the horizon I can say I'm happy that we're now in a transitional stage where the current gen loses steam as the next gen picks it up, even if in the form of a slow simmer until it boils come launch time. Exciting times ahead of us.

Yes. Durango and Ps4 should be coming to market at a great time, in theory.

Nintendo won't be able to compete unless they design a new console.

Vita is dead in the US. Even by Sonys admission of a 5m FY forecast, it's a goner

Why is Skylanders Giants still selling so well? Is it another slow burn casual hit ala Mario Kart Wii?

Anyway the hardware is pretty bad overall, but the Xbox 360 is approaching 8 years old and the PS3 7. One crazy thing to think about is how far the Wii has fallen: 714,000 5 years ago to 42,000 last month.

Did the fact that the PS1/PS2 was so bad in terms of frame-rate and control often make the success of the Wii happen? I found I struggled quite badly initially in controlling the PS1/PS2 consoles and given the casual success of these devices did frustration drive a desire to try more intuitive controls?

Well, seeing the data for now some editors think there is no point in bringing out third party games to WiiU if it is selling that badly. Ninty launched the console too early and with not so great hardware.

I guess the numbers for Vita aren't understandable, it's selling too low when it is in fact an amazing piece of hardware.

Good numbers for the PS3 and X360 though, especially if we take into account that this decaying generation has seen better days.

Vita is under performing (what's new?), but at the same time I don't think they're losing any money on it either, so no big deal, can't hit em all out of the park. Just means it's role as a gaming device needs redefinition and changed expectations.

I'd like to see what they've got in store for it at E3. And when PS4 comes out it grows into an accessory for it too.

PS Vita was a huge mistake.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 and Durango are slow starters.

Depends on what is a worse mistake, coming out with a console that sold millions but lost Sony a TON of money, or coming out with a handheld that's sold meh numbers but is likely overall profitable? If the reverse were true, the money-losing handheld most definitely would have been axed, but Sony eeking out a tiny bit of profit from the Vita is the reason why it hasn't gone the way of the Dreamcast. Plus, if there is a tiny bit of hope from potential PS4/PSVita bundles, and if Gaikai streaming does become an actual reality, there's no reason why a person can't just buy PS4 games digitally and stream them to their Vita over WiFi. It's out there, but not ridiculously far-fetched.

And I think the Vita would do far better in the US if it were given a Call of Duty title that were in the same class as the 360/PS3/PC instead of some distinct handheld version. The ability to play with your friends online on a PS3 while you are on your Vita would be massively big.

I'm surprised DS is selling as well as it is, given that 3DS isn't that much more expensive and is backwards compatible.

I think they should do a rebranding of PSVita when PS4 is released. That should kick some life into it.

I think Sony has a very real shot of revitalizing sales when ps4 launches with the ability to livelink to Vita. This along with a modest pricedrop will do wonders for their sales.

Ok. Give me numbers to what you think are "revitalized sales."

Just FYI, Sony's own forecast for the Vita is only 5mil for the full year.

Ok. Give me numbers to what you think are "revitalized sales."

Just FYI, Sony's own forecast for the Vita is only 5mil for the full year.

Hitting 5m would be revitalized in contrast to 15k/mo...

I'd say 5m is a good goal if the proper measures are taken WRT price and marketing.

The biggest thing Vita is missing is that it can't double up as a phone nor a tablet.

Given the hardware in the box, it would have been smart to (at least) have a dual boot option into android.

Hitting 5m would be revitalized in contrast to 15k/mo...

I'd say 5m is a good goal if the proper measures are taken WRT price and marketing.

The biggest thing Vita is missing is that it can't double up as a phone nor a tablet.

Given the hardware in the box, it would have been smart to (at least) have a dual boot option into android.

So I understand you correctly, you are asserting that a "modest" price movement from the Vitas current price will cause people to want to pick up not only a PS4 at whatever price it launches at but also a PS Vita?

Personally, I think they'll miss their FY forecast again since there are a number of areas who have yet to sell-through the launch product in the States (possibly EMEA) as such I just don't think that with the tiny sell-through they are having in major distribution areas it is enough to warrant the 5M sell-in. I should add that I don't think they'll miss by too much but miss nonetheless.

Back