NPD November 2011

interesting
At the end of 2010, Wii had a 8.7M lead on the 360 in the US

LTD (from the Dec 2010 NPD thread)

Wii 34,154,281
360 25,395,075
PS3 15,462,196

At the end of November 2011, the 360 gained around 2M+ on the Wii. Leaving a difference of 6.77

LTD (from this thread)

WII: 37.75M
360: 30.98M
PS3: 19.05M

IF Nov sales double in Dec, we end up at the end of 2011 with:

WII: 39.45M
360: 34.3M
PS3: 20.85M

I think the chances of MS selling 3.4M in December is pretty much 0%.

2m would be pushing it.

While I agree 3.4 isn't going to happen, I can't imagine them not doing 2m. Their lowest ever increase for December over November was last year at 35% (which would be ~2.3m this year), if they planned better this year they should avoid the drop off from being supply constrained they had last year. Also keep in mind December is a 5 week month to Novembers 4.

While I agree 3.4 isn't going to happen, I can't imagine them not doing 2m. Their lowest ever increase for December over November was last year at 35% (which would be ~2.3m this year), if they planned better this year they should avoid the drop off from being supply constrained they had last year. Also keep in mind December is a 5 week month to Novembers 4.

I haven't been paying attention to sales ads lately, but aren't the $200 kinect/250gb bundles over?

If so, fat chance of them pushing over 2m.

There will be similar post christmas sales, just like last year (and ditto there for black friday deals).

I think the theory WRT Zelda sales is that gamers have moved on from Wii.

Wii Fit3.0 or Wii Party3.0 may still sell, but gamers have moved on.

December sales indicate gift buying, ie parents, ie not gamers (from the stance of making their own purchase decisions).

I think a case could be made for holding Zelda back as a launch title for Wiiu being a better way to go.

I don't feel strongly either way about Zelda sales. In my eyes, Nintendo gave up the console platform many years ago and I've not seen much indicating they intend to dive back in.

To me it isn't especially relevant on the intent of the purchase. I mean...do we discount ALL December sales then or is there some percentage one wishes to use for gamers that wanted a particular gifted title and gamers who did not? I'm mostly saying that I believe there is a revisionist history going on with respect to how Zelda sells especially in the context at looking at other titles with similar possibly flat sales and going "great job".

I have a hard time believing that the 360 could even do 2.5M in December but if they did, that would be quite the accomplishment. I expect flat PS3 sales and once again absolutely no clue on Wii but I don't think it will eclipse the 360 like it did last year.

the PS3 currently has about a 50k* unit lead for sell-through over the 360 when combining US NPD Jan - November, Japan week 1 - week 48, and pixel counted EU numbers through CY Q3. The asterisk is due to taking the highest probable number for the PS3 in months where calculations had to be done in US NPD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back