NPD June 2011

AlNom

Legend
Stolen from GAF (Thanks!)

Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive 419,000
02. Duke Nukem Forever (360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive 376,300
03. Infamous 2 (PS3) Sony 369,200
04. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
05. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo 283.2K
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
08. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive
09. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
10. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft

Hardware

Xbox 360 - 507,000
Wii - 273,000
PS3 - ~276,000 (extrapolated)
3DS - 143,000
DS - 386,000

ಠ_ಠ

MS PR said:
Additionally, Xbox 360 was the only console in the U.S. to show year-over-year growth in the month of June

--------------------

For reference
NPD June 2009 http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54611
NPD June 2010 http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58027

I'm at a loss as to predictions. Maybe there really really really are a bunch of people out there awaiting price movements if thats the case I think I'll have to adjust the mental forecast for what that means for the PS3 price adjustment later in the year.

500K in june? Was there a Summer Solstice Sale or something for the 360? Is this what dads ask for on Father's Day?

Kind of crazy.. Last June, MS had the Slim to push sales beyond 2009's ~240K to ~450K in 2010. This year....

June
2009 - 240K
2010 - 450K
2011 - 507K

Isn't 507,000 quite a big number for this time of the year? I have no clue what is expected during June month, but it is supposed to be quite slow, right?...

That's some a-fuckin-mazing XB360 numbers there. I thought decent numbers would be around 300K. Half a million a month is pure brilliance.

Kind of crazy.. Last June, MS had the Slim to push sales beyond 2009's ~240K to ~450K in 2010. This year....

June
2009 - 240K
2010 - 450K
2011 - 507K

It should be noted however that even before the slim was announced/sold that the 360 was already doing YoY increases.

MS PR
Holding 48% share of the overall current-generation console market share, Xbox 360 sold 507,000 units in June, selling nearly twice as many units as other current-generation platforms and maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011.

so with the Wii number above, that should put PS3 at around 276K

Isn't 507,000 quite a big number for this time of the year? I have no clue what is expected during June month, but it is supposed to be quite slow, right?...
thats inflated due to free xbox360's, but still an excellent number

michaelpachter Michael Pachter
@Good point by @NicolasVerge, the 507k Xbox figure included all of the "free" 360s given away under the Windows 7 PC promotion

terrible wii sales. this is a whole month with the pricecut. I guess that fable banded about a few years ago on these forums that price is the most important thing for sales has finally be proven false. Infact like Ive always said #1 is desirability.

Judging by amazon.com somethings up with the ps3, no 160,320gb ps3's in stock. Im guessing a hardware refresh or something is on the cards

Promotional giveaways have never been counted in NPD figures.

<edit> and even if they did:
The 'free' xbox is in lieu of a 10% discount offer.
The promotion started in May, the biggest relative jump (yoy) in sales for the xbox this year was.... April.
The promotion applies to students, who probably aren't buying their computers in June.
The promotion runs through August so if there's an effect, that's probably going to be the month with the biggest effect.

terrible wii sales. this is a whole month with the pricecut. I guess that fable banded about a few years ago on these forums that price is the most important thing for sales has finally be proven false. Infact like Ive always said #1 is desirability.

Judging by amazon.com somethings up with the ps3, no 160,320gb ps3's in stock. Im guessing a hardware refresh or something is on the cards

Meh. Price is important. So is bang for your buck. With everyone and their moms knowing that the Wii has shit for graphics it's no wonder its sales are dwindling even with a price cut. The problem is the Wii offers very little value compared to the 360, and since so many households have HDTV's now it makes little sense to even invest in buying games for the Wii that look like crap compared to the HD consoles.

Put it simply, Wii is actually overpriced?

It is rather amazing to see how far MS has come this generation and it looks like they are only continuing to pick up speed. I'd be hesitant about releasing details about any new machine until we learn more of what the Wii U is capable of.

I guess that fable banded about a few years ago on these forums that price is the most important thing for sales has finally be proven false. Infact like Ive always said #1 is desirability.

I don't think it's price or desirability. It's perceived value, which is a combination of the two. Given the multiple and often hard to predict factors that go into a product's desirabililty, price is usually the easiest way to influence this. I think it's clear now WRT the Wii that, "it's too expensive" is not the reason people aren't buying Wiis the way they used to. And the software slump is an even bigger red flag for me. I think their lack of broad 3rd-party support is really killing them.

WRT PS3, they had to stop manufacturing the current PS3 SKUs (which support HD over component Blu-Ray playback) as of Dec of 2010 to comply with the AACS agreement. While the older SKUs I expect will retain this ability, since the new revision will never have it they can remove the functionality without running into some of the "difficulties" they have had when removing other features.

Well this is odd

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/87197/npd-tallies-us-video-game-revenue-for-june-2011/

Michael Pachter did tell me in email however that much of the X360 year over year rise came from a) free X360s given away with Windows 7, and b) X360s sold directly to distributors (some of these units apparently ended up in Brazil) - and Microsoft convinced NPD to count both. Pachter didn't have figures on how many units those promotions added, but estimates that X360 would have dropped slightly year over year (-5% to -10%) without those inclusions.

I'm sure the likes of zed will be happy to believe it but I think Pachter as usual has no idea what he's talking about...:LOL:

With everyone and their moms knowing that the Wii has shit for graphics it's no wonder its sales are dwindling even with a price cut. The problem is the Wii offers very little value compared to the 360, and since so many households have HDTV's now it makes little sense to even invest in buying games for the Wii that look like crap compared to the HD consoles..

Wii bashing is not allowed here...:LOL:

Anyway I completely agree...there are lots of AAA games for Xbox that are less than $20 new.

As for Xbox sales going through the roof....well...lets just say that these people who bought Xboxes recently heard a little rumor about a piece of software that turns a Xbox into a closed box PC...;)

I think Vgchartz got the last month as wrong as anybody has ever gotten any month. They had Wii at 461k (includes Canada I quess...) and 360 way under counted even if the free giveaways were included. They had the Wii way over the 360.

I mean this time they blew it epicly and it seems they are trying to launch paid service VGchartz Pro in August. I'm sure their June numbers are good for the new business :smile:

Have to say that the gap between the Wii and the 360 did surprise me too a little bit. I do hope we get certainty with regards to the giveaway units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back