Why is it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The situation is not symmetric as far as I have observed.

Evidently, both Sony and MS fans agree with you! Unfortunately, I suppose being more sensitive to comment A than comment B, depending on your bias, is a topic for another thread on another forum.

I agree with others who suggested that this being a tech site, and given that the PS3's main draw is its technology, people are simply more interested in what the PS3 can achieve. That, combined with a huge existing Sony fanbase means that PS3 threads will receive more attention. I don't think tinfoil-hat theories are needed to solve this Nancy Drew mystery!

//random "post icon" anyone?

There has been a 'cult of sony' since the days of the first walkman. Conversely MS is and has always been one of the most hated corporations. I don't think you have to look any further than that for the underlying reasons behind bias.

I assume you have been living in Mars or something since last year's E3?
Otherwise it is really hard not to notice Sony hatred out there (deserved or not).

Otherwise it is really hard not to notice Sony hatred out there (deserved or not).

There's hatred for all large companies (deserved or not), sure; however, that's surely eclipsed by the company's ginormous number of fans.

Taking a step back from the discussions in play, I think it's noteworthy to realize that as contentious as some threads are right now - resulting reason for this topic itself - truthfully in terms of E3/post-E3 conditions on the forum, this year has actually been amazingly mild. 2005 and 2006 at least were much worse.

Just read Sony's blog, developers are directly asked "why your couldn't be done on any other hardware?" not even "is your game possible on any other hardware?". It's clear that Sony encourages developers to make this sort of statements combined with technical mumbo-jumbo. On the other head Microsoft's policy is to let the games speak for themselves...
I agree. I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy or cover-up of the board that Sony tech gets more coverage - Sony are making a big thing out of the tech, which gives us something to talk about. If MS want more coverage here, they need to start talking technical mumbo-jumbo! If Tap In and others want more talk on XB360, they need to find interesting interviews and articles that talk about the tech side of things!

Sony hatred, here?

The series of Sony PR blunders led only to several months in moderation, where Sonybots was talking as if they are wise, impartial and cool-headed; now that Sony is back up on one knee and trying to rise again, all the pretense of balance is thrown out of the window, and these forums are Sonystan again.

Sony hatred, here?
??
Whatever Sony love is here, it cannot simply be a reflection of what is out there.
The series of Sony PR blunders led only to several months in moderation, where Sonybots was talking as if they are wise, impartial and cool-headed; now that Sony is back up on one knee and trying to rise again, all the pretense of balance is thrown out of the window, and these forums are Sonystan again.

Let's assume you are right.
The OP was asking why there was so much interest in PS3 game threads, including all those negative comments from 360 owners. Sony fanboyism by itself, fails to explain relative lack of trolling in 360 game threads.

And many many many others were just fapping over the trailer because they were huge PS2/MGS fans.

That's just the truth.

New tech or not MSG gets lots of ppl on this site excited and there is nothing wrong with that.

And if Halo3 does the same, well good for them. :LOL:

Jov

New tech or not MSG gets lots of ppl on this site excited and there is nothing wrong with that.

And if Halo3 does the same, well good for them. :LOL:

Jov

Nothing wrong with it at all, but lets acknowledge the reality.

The site is dominated by Playstation fans.

But why does Lair or Uncharted threads have such huge number of views? Again, new games which you wouldn't expect to sell nearly as well as Halo 3.

Maybe because they're new games trying new things (game play, story, etc..) where as Halo's success has either set a very high expectation and the current build has not pushed that bar high enough, or the fact (to some at least) it'll be same old same old with improved graphics.

Nothing wrong with it at all, but lets acknowledge the reality.

The site is dominated by Playstation fans.

Possibly because the world is dominated by them..?

I don't know any other console that has a 100+ million user base and thus when the biggest games on the platform sawn numerous successors on the PS3, regardless of it's sales there are a heck of alot of people who have had a good amount of exposure to these title and therefore interest in the continuation of the francises..

Added to that the exotic nature of the PS3 technology which practically everyone (PS fan or not) loves talking about, and this doesn't leave room for suprise when PS-related threads are a little more active..

Possibly because the world is dominated by them..?

I don't know any other console that has a 100+ million user base and thus when the biggest games on the platform sawn numerous successors on the PS3, regardless of it's sales there are a heck of alot of people who have had a good amount of exposure to these title and therefore interest in the continuation of the francises..

Added to that the exotic nature of the PS3 technology which practically everyone (PS fan or not) loves talking about, and this doesn't leave room for suprise when PS-related threads are a little more active..

yes do not worry, you are in the majority... you are in a safe place. ;)

that the PS3 game threads in general have more replies and page views than X360 ones?

There are several PS3 game threads with well over 100 replies and tens of thousands of views. Meanwhile, even the vaunted Halo 3 threads have a fraction of the traffic.

Of course, Halo3 will outsell every game this fall.

Last time we did a poll of owners of systems on B3D, X360 formed a vast majority IIRC. So you can't necessarily say B3D is unrepresentative of the market at large or that the size of the threads reflects expected relative sales of these games.

Of course, a lot of posts in the PS3 game threads are negative. Too bad there's no easy way to tally what percentage of those are naysayers.

B3D posts aren't given to cheerleading types of posts that you'd see in other forums. In fact a lot of posts here could be characterized as dissection of screens, videos, etc. Is that saying something about PS3 games development, that there seems to be a lot of contention about establishing technical facts?

SONY fans mostly stick to discussing their own threads - hence the higher views. They've been kicked around so much in the last 12-18 months (mostly by media) that when the slightest hint of something positive shines through the cracks of depression, the masses celebrate, and then someone's bound to go overboard and start claiming it the best thing since sliced bread - thus bringing the X360 defenders into play.

X360 fans on these boards play more of a defensive role. They tend to watch SONY related threads (again - hence the high views) waiting for that one overboard statement (as mentioned above) so they can jump in with the "it's not that impressive" type comments, thus opening up Pandora's box, and the rest of the SONY world comes for them.

Oh, and it's not because of MS's status as a corporation why I don't cheer for them, it's because SONY is like a 'first love' for me. PlayStation has given me years of fun, and the X360 hasn't really brought anything new to the table. Even now, the more innovative games are on the PS3 (ie. LBP).

Sony hatred, here?

I'm not a big PS fan but I think reply-proof posts like yours illustrate betan's point about unnecessary trolling. :p

SONY fans mostly stick to discussing their own threads - hence the higher views. They've been kicked around so much in the last 12-18 months (mostly by media) that when the slightest hint of something positive shines through the cracks of depression, the masses celebrate, and then someone's bound to go overboard and start claiming it the best thing since sliced bread - thus bringing the X360 defenders into play.

X360 fans on these boards play more of a defensive role. They tend to watch SONY related threads (again - hence the high views) waiting for that one overboard statement (as mentioned above) so they can jump in with the "it's not that impressive" type comments, thus opening up Pandora's box, and the rest of the SONY world comes for them.

Oh, and it's not because of MS's status as a corporation why I don't cheer for them, it's because SONY is like a 'first love' for me. PlayStation has given me years of fun, and the X360 hasn't really brought anything new to the table. Even now, the more innovative games are on the PS3 (ie. LBP).

I don't think what you describe is completely accurate. I think for the most part we all as B3D posters give more attention to the more active posts. Most posters here don't frequent posts looking for conflict but will automatically respond to over zealous or over optimistic/pestimistic posts.

Sony posts recieve the most attention is probably due to all the drama surrounding the launch, performance and sales of the PS3. The events surrounding the 360 and Wii are timid by comparsion.

I dont own a car... does that mean i dont get a vote... ever? :cry:
Well sure, technically... But you don't have the weight of statistics behind it! :p

It's like saying you've played on portable gaming systems for years... everyone just assumes you've had a GameBoy at some point.

Anyway WTF man, it is the official PR blog. Your (you and others') responses to Sony bullshiting around look deeply emotional. Why do you care at all?
I referenced to that only to show general Sony's policy. I am really not moved by Sony's statements in any way, because I understand they do it clearly to promote their consoles and I am quite used to companies telling me everything they can to sell me their products. Sony isn't any worse or better than other corporations (including Microsoft or Nintendo).
Interestingly, just less than a week ago MS declared 360 as the most powerful console again.
Should I be upset about it?;)
In case you haven't notice Bioshock is also coming to PC.
And...? My goal wasn't to name a game that is on 360 but couldn't be on any other hardware, but a game that uses hardware to achieve interesting things (that certainly weren't possible on last-gen consoles, at least not on the same scale). It could be ported to PS3 with performance gain, I don't care really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back