You can always trust the developer (or how Ubisoft screws you over and over again)

Please stop this "or how Ubisoft screws you over and over again".
I own The Division and AC: Unity and both do look much much better than in the older footage (I am playing the PC version).

After I saw AC Unity on another gamers PC I bought it in December 2014 only because of the graphics and the Setting/atmosphere.
In the E3 videos it did not looked as impressive. Therefore, I have not bought it on the release date.

I think you're the only person I've ever seen say this. I haven't bothered with AC: Unity as the performance was utter crap at anything higher than low/medium at the time I bothered to check it out (few weeks after launch).

But the Division is still missing a lot of stuff from the original E3 unveiling. So no, it in no way looks better than the original unveiling. It looks really nice. And they managed to get most of stuff in. More than a lot of people give them credit for, but it's still missing stuff. Like the progressive and persistent accumulation and decumulation of snow as time passes for instance. As well as the persistent effects of player actions on snow in the area. They have temporary effects on snow but they are not only less complex, they also aren't persistent. And that's just one example.

While I along with most people wanted to believe that what they showed was possible. If anyone took a minute to actually examine what they showed and what was promised, they would have realized that it just wasn't possible to do what they were promising on the hardware that was going to be released at any point by the time the game was launched.

I still think it's one of the better looking games out there, but it's still not anywhere near what the E3 unveiling had.

Regards,
SB

Personally I wouldn't lump Division and AC:Unity in the list because they were released looking absolutely fantastic and any downgrades weren't that significant. Some of their other titles over the last few years however....

Unity wasn't in the OP video and from what I've heard and seen it's probably one of if not the best looking games out there. I will pick it up one day when it's on a heavy sale. Would pay full price but it looks like a huge downgrade gameplay wise vs Black Flag which was amazing.

Unity wasn't in the OP video and from what I've heard and seen it's probably one of if not the best looking games out there. I will pick it up one day when it's on a heavy sale. Would pay full price but it looks like a huge downgrade gameplay wise vs Black Flag which was amazing.

That just supports the point that the video creator is biased towards Ubisoft to generate a lot of clicks.

The Division even has a better graphics in gameplay. Much more details/geometry, higher quality effects, much greater draw distance, less pop ups, POM, dynamic time of day, better AA, motion blur etc.

I think you're the only person I've ever seen say this. I haven't bothered with AC: Unity as the performance was utter crap at anything higher than low/medium at the time I bothered to check it out (few weeks after launch).

But the Division is still missing a lot of stuff from the original E3 unveiling. So no, it in no way looks better than the original unveiling. It looks really nice. And they managed to get most of stuff in. More than a lot of people give them credit for, but it's still missing stuff. Like the progressive and persistent accumulation and decumulation of snow as time passes for instance. As well as the persistent effects of player actions on snow in the area. They have temporary effects on snow but they are not only less complex, they also aren't persistent. And that's just one example.

While I along with most people wanted to believe that what they showed was possible. If anyone took a minute to actually examine what they showed and what was promised, they would have realized that it just wasn't possible to do what they were promising on the hardware that was going to be released at any point by the time the game was launched.

I still think it's one of the better looking games out there, but it's still not anywhere near what the E3 unveiling had.

Regards,
SB

AC: Unity had problems to maintain 60fps because of CPU limit. With a target of 30fps1620p, the highest settings were no problem in AC: Unity on a GTX 980. Even with all nVidia effects enebled. Only a lot of the non interactive cutscenes would run below 30fps.

Define a lot of stuff. Despite the godrays which are shining trough the bullet caused holes. There are all effects from the 2013 showcase in the actual game. Then the PC version has more and higher quality effects just look at HBAO+, PCSS etc.

"the progressive and persistent accumulation and decumulation of snow as time passes for instance"
The video doesn't show this in the 2013 trailer either. 2D snow can melt in the final game too. No deformation of 3D snow.

And when you compare the assets. Just look at the police car. It has a much lower texture resolution than the final game offers.

The most people can not tell which is a technical downgrade and what is caused due values as time of day etc.

It's on max settings available at 1080p on PC

Why does it look much worse compared to the actual maxed out settings? He even used a worse AA in Watch Dogs.

Why is this graphically much better than his crappy video? (Beta video)

Last edited:
Well irrespective if there is no difference between them, I wouldn't use a video from the beta to prove a point about the released version of a game. Yes The Division looks fantastic and they did amazing work on the game. As I stated the differences aren't huge and Unity wasn't even mentioned.

Do you have an opinion about any of the other games shown?

I cant remember Far Cry 3 a lot. On the other hand I tested Far Cry 4 on the PlayStation 4, which was well optimized with a high draw distance. Technically it was good, but the design of the landscape was too monotonous.

Reinbow Six' graphic is indeed weaker but in my point of view it looks still good. Especially the lighting.

EDIT:
AC: Syndicate had better graphics than in the previous gameplay.

Last edited:
Unity wasn't in the OP video and from what I've heard and seen it's probably one of if not the best looking games out there. I will pick it up one day when it's on a heavy sale.
I bought Unity on PS4 months (and many patches) after lunch when it was cheap and really liked it. It's sat there sitting on my Steam wish list just waiting for the right price. The atmosphere is really out there. Initially I did miss the naval combat from Black Flag but having reflected on it, I think the game is better focussed for it. What I didn't miss from Black Flag was the awful tailing/stealth missions. The main missions in Unity were great.

Did you test it yourself or are you trusting the source ?
(Or did you make the video ?)
I'm trusting the source more than Ubisoft, and until proven otherwise I see no reason to doubt his results. I can confirm that at least far cry footages look like what I see on my screen with max settings, and how division looked in the last beta phase

I'm trusting the source more than Ubisoft, and until proven otherwise I see no reason to doubt his results. I can confirm that at least far cry footages look like what I see on my screen with max settings, and how division looked in the last beta phase

Retail release for the Division increased and added some graphics features that weren't in the BETA. This brought it closer to the E3 reveal, but still didn't include everything from the E3 reveal.

Regards,
SB

Back