Yo got to love BUZZ ;)

Meh... so why dont we stick to our current-gen consoles and the devs simply make better games for them ?
Its not that you use every ounce of additional power to make better graphics, even though that seems traditionally the expectation. Imagine how a GTA wouldve worked on 16bit consoles ?
Now tell me that a system that is apparently weaker than another automatically implies having "better gameplay" than the stronger ones...

Meh... so why dont we stick to our current-gen consoles and the devs simply make better games for them ?
Its not that you use every ounce of additional power to make better graphics, even though that seems traditionally the expectation. Imagine how a GTA wouldve worked on 16bit consoles ?
Now tell me that a system that is apparently weaker than another automatically implies having "better gameplay" than the stronger ones...
On a system with lots of graphics potential, there will be games that use it.
If you're making a game for such a platform, you're in competition to those flashy games. No matter how great your gameplay is, you need to play along to some extent. Playing along on graphics means more cost, equals more risk.

FYI, that's what some of us have been doing for the past year (and yes, devs have been making better and better games too) :p

On a system with lots of graphics potential, there will be games that use it.
If you're making a game for such a platform, you're in competition to those flashy games. No matter how great your gameplay is, you need to play along to some extent. Playing along on graphics means more cost, equals more risk.
All systems have their finite resources, how devs choose to use them is not dependend on the power of the system. You will have games that try to push the Wii to its edge with flashy graphics, and games that focus on gameplay - its the same for any system to date.
So the question is rather how do the games compare to other systems (not only graphically) ? If you have more resources you can realise more (or the same easier), so its not looking to bright for Wii IMHO.

I'm not sure how to take that article. Is he kidding around, using sarcasm, or 100% serious?

If the latter, the man is putting way too much into graphics.

Well, that sums it up.

There cannot be good gameplay with good graphics also.

Thank you Nintendo for saving us all.

Well, that sums it up.

There cannot be good gameplay with good graphics also.

Thank you Nintendo for saving us all.

No kidding. Heaven forbid someone notices that with the PS3 and Xbox 360 you get both good graphics AND good gameplay, and Nintendo is the only one that doesn't provide both.

No kidding. Heaven forbid someone notices that with the PS3 and Xbox 360 you get both good graphics AND good gameplay, and Nintendo is the only one that doesn't provide both.

On the other side Nintendo seems to be good gameplay AND much more innovation (ie what 360/PS3 brings in immovation Wii bring in gfx and vice versa).

It is a pity that none brings good gameplay AND innovation AND better gfx (personally more because of specs based gameplay features like AI and such).

All systems have their finite resources, how devs choose to use them is not dependend on the power of the system. You will have games that try to push the Wii to its edge with flashy graphics, and games that focus on gameplay - its the same for any system to date.
So the question is rather how do the games compare to other systems (not only graphically) ? If you have more resources you can realise more (or the same easier), so its not looking to bright for Wii IMHO.
I think on any given platforms there are simply levels of graphics fidelity consumers are willing to accept.
DS games go for 40€ around here and, as a rule, look like DS games. Bring out a DS game, with the exact same graphics and the exact same price, on any home console and consumers will break out in tears, magazines will tear you to shreds and the internet will hate you.
Some XBox Live Arcade games look to be on that level, but then their prices are very low, and probably for a reason.

In principle I agree with you, platform boundaries are artificial, and simple, focused games could be anywhere. But it seems publishers are reluctant to bring out fugly games for the more powerful platforms in practice. I don't know if I can explain exactly why this is, I probably can't, I just know that I don't see many games going against the grain.

Meanwhile on the perpetually underpowered Nintendo handhelds those ultra-high-risk things with fugly graphics are in fact happening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarioWare,_Inc.:_Mega_Microgame$
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_Heaven
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplankton

(needless to say, some of them are highly obscure and/or tank commercially, but they at least exist!)

On the other side Nintendo seems to be good gameplay AND much more innovation (ie what 360/PS3 brings in immovation Wii bring in gfx and vice versa).

It is a pity that none brings good gameplay AND innovation AND better gfx (personally more because of specs based gameplay features like AI and such).

Other than the controller what "innovation" has Nintendo brought with the Wii?

I could easily argue that MS and Sony both brought as much "innovation" with their systems, it just wasn't attached to the controller.

Other than the controller what "innovation" has Nintendo brought with the Wii?

I could easily argue that MS and Sony both brought as much "innovation" with their systems, it just wasn't attached to the controller.

Dont take me wrong I am all for "more performance= possibly new gameplay features", but by now I hardly see anything that couldnt be done (gameplay wise) on the XB, the only one that seems to bring something new to the table is AssasinsCreed (and we can cleary see the roots on PoP and Hitman) ,and one or other more, with persistent worlds of AI (assuming, like I guess, this is not possible on Wii).

On the other side we have WiiTennis that even with a bad implementation (IMO, litle control,no online, weak AI ?,...) it is a totaly new paradigm. Or even in FPS that become much more agressive or here you can do decent meele combat, all in the first gen games.

Plus for some it can even have be neo-invative as many really like the fast loadings/start up promisse and such, or even the connect 24.

Back