What are the best current card games? Any recommendation?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Wanted to ask this 'cos a little over 10 years ago I got Magic the Gathering and found the game very fun, but the fact that it is now free to play makes me feel unease about it.

I also come from playing Diablo 4 which at times is crazy with dozens of things happening at the same time and I feel like playing something calm, be it a game with turn-based combat, or a fun card game.

One that I've heard good things about from Todd Howard, the creator of TES, is the Marvel Snap, but I'm not sure yet as it seems to be free to play and I'd like to play it offline as well.

Any suggestions?

tried Marvel Snap. The thing is that I am not into Marvel and only know like 2% of the characters that the game presents. So I parked the game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel is other game I tried, and I liked it very much. Even if I don't know what Yu Gi Oh is either, I could give this one a try. My only gripe with the game is that it's a "free" game, and I prefer to have the ownership of the game, paying and having all the content, or at least the most, in single player mode.

Not sure what your precise definition of 'card game' is, whether it has to be a dueling deckbuilder or not but Slay the Spire is a fantastic card battler.

I've only played an android version of Star Realms but the in person card game itself is also awesome, and the steam version is well reviewed and only two bucks.

Not sure what your precise definition of 'card game' is, whether it has to be a dueling deckbuilder or not but Slay the Spire is a fantastic card battler.

I've only played an android version of Star Realms but the in person card game itself is also awesome, and the steam version is well reviewed and only two bucks.
thanks for the recommendation! I am watching Star Realms store page on Steam and it says that in order to play multiplayer you need the full game. I just want it for the single player, mostly. Does it have a deep single player campaign?

I got Monster Train as of recently. I want to get Slay the Spire once I complete Monster Train.

Additionally, I started to play Gwent the Card Game, and I just want to play Single Player, and I found out that this Single Player campaign called Thronebreaker is awesome.

I am not a big fan of free to play games, but it has the Single Player content, which is what I actually want. Plus Gwent is so fun. My favourite Deck for now is the Scoiatel.

I just realized now that the highly rewarded Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is a standalone game, that there is no need to have Gwent to play it, it is completely standalone. That's great. Exactly the kind of experience I wanted. I'll uninstall full Gwent even if I like it since TW3 came out and I like to play with the Scoiatel, I'm not much monetization. I just wanted a complete single-player experience.

Maybe there are mods for ThroneBreaker, I'll take a look

there are actually a few mods for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, one is an UI mod, and the other is a nude mod -as expected-. :mrgreen:

For those who love the lore of The Witcher series, the great thing about cards games is that they are excellent to know the lore and bestiary of a game a bit deeper, along with NPCs and other characters in the game's world.

Thronebreaker is a mix of one of the top cards games, Gwent, and King's Bounty/Heroes of Might & Magic series. It's superb, since HoMM is one of my favourite videogames.

One other suggestion from my backlog, that I've only played a tiny bit so far, but really enjoyed, until I got distracted by other shinies: Inscryption.

Once again, not entirely sure if it fits your personal definition of what you want a card game to be, but there are cards-a-plenty, and a great story. :)

I've got to dig into the Steam version of Star Realms to answer the above question, unfortunately - I only played the Android version and the in person physical card game in the past.

One other suggestion from my backlog, that I've only played a tiny bit so far, but really enjoyed, until I got distracted by other shinies: Inscryption.

Once again, not entirely sure if it fits your personal definition of what you want a card game to be, but there are cards-a-plenty, and a great story. :)

I've got to dig into the Steam version of Star Realms to answer the above question, unfortunately - I only played the Android version and the in person physical card game in the past.
thanks once again! I added it to my Steam's wishlist. If you hadn't shared a review or defined the game somehow, after watching the Steam's video I am sure I'd think it wouldn't be for me 'cos the game seems dark, art style wise and a bit colourless, but the good reviews are sooooo numerous, with almost 90000 overwhelmingly positive reviews, that the game must have something to it. I am going to add it to my backlog of cards games to play and my steam collection.

a colleague recommended me Ring of Pain, 'cos in his opinion is the best second cards game after Slay the Spire. He told me Ring of Pain is one of those games which has that something that makes you not wanting to stop playing... let's play another time, and that it's the second best.

I have now spent about 30 hours playing Thronebreaker. I haven't completed the game yet.

Thronebreaker is a very special mix of genres like I have not seen in a card game. It is also a great way to learn more about the lore of The Witcher series, since with static and more detailed cards you tend to pay more attention to details than in an open world with many npcs and creatures.

If you like to enjoy a good story, expand your Gwent experience or try a different genre..., this seems like a great purchase to me. Although I don't consider it a masterpiece, it is a quite good game.

From the original Gwent it has evolved into something much greater, with many changes from the original game that was included in The Witcher 3. The difference is enormous. The game also has puzzles, some quite hard - if you get stuck, then watch a YouTube video and that's it. The plot has moments where it gets quite interesting and there are also moments of complicated decisions, units management, deck management and other elements such as the camp or workshop.

If you do not play on easy, the use of decks adapted to the situation can be very important, because the battles of the game can modify the rules with secondary and optional objectives, for which it may be necessary to adapt the deck. If you play on easy this is not so important, but from normal difficulty on the game has some complex encounters. I have not played on hard difficult nor do I want to, since normal is fine for me.

There is also some puzzle that allegedly pays homage to Hearthstone.

Technically the game meets the type of game it is. The artwork on some of the cards is beautiful. What doesn't convince me is the main character's NBA 2K-like inertia, when our queen takes some time to stop like a car with worn brakes. But hey, for the type of game Thronebreaker is, that matters between zero and nothing.

It has very good songs, especially some with choruses that surprised me for the better.

It's a card game I would recommend, but I think there may be better card games out there. It is also possible that the other Gwent single player game, Rogue Mage, is very good, 'cos of the variety typical of a rogue like. I don't have Rogue Mage in order to recommend it or not. I would recommend Tronebreaker, although I'd wait to buy it when it's on sale, not for 20€ which is what I paid.

Rogue Mage costs 9.99€ and it doesn't seem like a bad price to me.

Back