XGI Volari reviews?

V8 Single = ( Xabre with half the TMUs ) + ( Xabre with half the TMUs and one additionnal FP24 single-cycle MAD arithmetic unit ) + Xabre T&L + new VS unit.

I'm saying there's a T&L unit left due to the 8 light score. Or maybe they just optimized this insanely... Eh. The more I look at it, the more that VS unit looks like the NV3x's, but maybe a tad less efficient ( and a tad less transistor-hungry too? No idea! ) - Unoriginal, at best ;)

If XGI actually had good MSAA, this might have been good, real good. The weakness of their arithmetic units could have been hidden by their massive bandwidth power. But sounds like the XGI V8 Duo will be nothing more than a mediocre offering, and one I'm not particularly impressed by.

Who knows, if they improve their driver performance, which seems catastrophic when you compare theorical values and practical ones... Then maybe if they released a refresh of this chip, perhaps with a few more Pixel Shading units, then it could be a serious competitor. For the time being, it certainly isn't too serious at all.

Uttar

we should compare these results with results obtained from 9700Pro and NV30 with their first official drivers ... looking at Aquamark results (or VS results in 3dmark2001 8 lights), its clear that there is potential... I seriously doubt in current drivers there are many "app-specific" optimisations (no doubt there are specific workaroiunds ;) )

And imho "Duo" is a "face-prestige" product. Considering effectiveness of 2nd chip is 50-70%, V5/V8 can be interesting ... after all - how many people are insane enough to give 300+$ for a videocard? ;)
I think its impossible to believe that their new command (which by rumours include people who left M-x and N-a) can make new chip sooner than 2004 fall

to keep in mind that all the results are probably with bilinear or so the reviewer suspects.

And without AF, even if the application requests so, as in AquaMark...

Uttar

Weren't the dual and single processor models scoring about the same? Just trying to remember an nVnews thread. If so, there's still potential there waiting for the drivers.

I'd say they are aiming at the same market the NV3x range was (before the r300).

Jeez, performance numbers seem to be all over the place. ^_^;; Certainly looking forward to the first reviewers who REALLY get into the nitty-gritty of the card to see what's what. Obviously we can't expect their drivers right out of the game to be amazing, but things seem a bit unpredictable right now...

chavvdarrr said:
looking at Aquamark results (or VS results in 3dmark2001 8 lights), its clear that there is potential...

If only the potential was being used for games, which it isn't. I would rather dodge the scores that don't matter like all of the stupid crap aquamark does with overdraw and all those other useless tests

Back