Value of Linus Tech Media benchmarking / reviews *pretend spawn

I see Gamers Nexus has been added to the Nvidia Defense Force shit list. Perhaps we can be provided a list of media outlets that hit the Nvidia marketing bullet points with sufficient coverage and positivity?

Eh no need for that at this point. There is really only one LTT defender in this thread, the others are just pointing out that GN isn't perfect, but not necessarily as an excuse for LTT. GN has produced questionable content before that's out of their wheelhouse (I would definitely not to go to GN for takes on anything outside of the PC DIY space, like consoles/Macs), but I certainly trust Steve's ethics and in general they obviously value accuracy and technical accumen extremely highly. LTT has always basically been a marketing exercise, fun (?) fluff and their attempt to foray into more 'serious' material has exposed their/Linus's weaknesses that much more.

In a sense it's not her fault that she was hired for something she wasn't perhaps qualified or mentally prepared for. And while it doesn't excuse the workplace behavior at LTT, perhaps she shouldn't have encouraged that sort of behavior with her own behavior of playing into it which only encourages that behavior by making it seem like she's absolutely fine with it.
I mean can we really tell from that video if "being one of the guys" is how she really is like ? Or is it rather that she thought (or worse, was told) this is what it's expected of her ?

And GN bencharmking has value when in one of his he concluded ps5 gpu is on gtx1060 level ? ;d

And GN bencharmking has value when in one of his he concluded ps5 gpu is on gtx1060 level ? ;

Yeah he royally fucked that up (and didn't handle being corrected on it well either from what I recall), which is why I referred to consoles/Macs as outside his wheelhouse and evidence that GN can screw up too, they're definitely not infallible. To insinuate this is remotely on the level of the torrent of misinformation and more importantly, the tepid way such constant misinformation is 'corrected' on LTT - not to mention the serious ethical concerns with Linus's vested interests in some products he reviews, workplace culture and mocking people who say, want expressed warranty details on the products he sells is laughable.

Albeit I suspect you're objecting more to your particular favorite platform being the subject of that poor video first and foremost and not necessarily giving an objective review of GN's overall technical expertise/ethics. Who knows, maybe actually quoting the post you disagree with instead of just threadshitting would help clarify things.

Last edited:
So are there any good PC hardware reviewers? GN definitely seems like one of the best to me but I'd love to be pointed to something better. An actual website would be great rather than youtube channels but it seems that era is over. The best guys all got hired by big IHVs (Ryan Shrout and Scott Wasson) or even went places like Apple (Anand). Even johnnyguru went to Corsair. I'm happy for them but the void hasn't been filled for me. It was a sad day when I removed TechReport from my bookmarks :(

So are there any good PC hardware reviewers? GN definitely seems like one of the best to me but I'd love to be pointed to something better. An actual website would be great rather than youtube channels but it seems that era is over. The best guys all got hired by big IHVs (Ryan Shrout and Scott Wasson) or even went places like Apple (Anand). Even johnnyguru went to Corsair. I'm happy for them but the void hasn't been filled for me. It was a sad day when I removed TechReport from my bookmarks :(
The only websites I currently use are TechPowerup.com, PCGameshardware.de and Computerbase.de. Otherwise I watch DF and HUB videos.

Especially when cards are becoming limited by VRAM and you must choose between raytracing or high quality textures
I love this argument so much as it exposes the hypocrisy of some of these techtubers, so far we've had about 6 games that are limited by VRAM capacity at max settings, this number is certainly not enough to establish a trend going forward, especially as some of them got fixed by patches. And I remember very well that 6 ray tracing games were not enough for these techtubers to consider ray tracing important in the beginning, and still after dozens and dozens of ray tracing titles, they still consider ray tracing useless. But suddenly VRAM is now an important metric because of max texture setting in 6 games (some of which don't even change image quality by much as in the case of RE4)!

So, what makes maximum texture quality (that are limited by VRAM capacity) more important than ray tracing? If their excuse that most people don't care about ray tracing "using some random poll somewhere", then the retort is gonna be that most people don't care about max texture settings either, most people don't even care about max settings, most people are poor and don't care about 4K, or 120Hz, or even 1440p. Most people have 1080p monitors and play at low/medium settings using 3060 class GPU or lower.

This is just pure hypocrisy or technical illiteracy from these techtubers, I am leaning towards innate hypocrisy though, as they pick and choose their standards and change them when necessary to fit whatever personal preferences they have in their mind.

So are there any good PC hardware reviewers?
On Youtube? There is none. The only good sites left are PCGamesHardware, ComputerBase, and Comptoir-Hardware, and none of them is English. TechReport is gone, Anand just stopped, Techspot is just a disgusting copy of Hardware Unboxed, and Tomshardware is just a shadow of it's former self. Digital Foundry is the only remaining solid Youtube gaming reviewing platform, they cover everything thoroughly .. from frametimes, to ray tracing to upscaling to power consumption and cooling, ie: the good old established way of doing a review, covering all of the capabilities of the products.

As for the rest of these Techtubers, they exist only on a separate plain of reality, only catering for clicks and views coming from the absolute lowest common denominator of the average "joe" man. They no longer care about progress or tech, only what makes the "masses" eager to click. As a result, they no longer became relevant, their content is regarded as mere technical drama, and the recent marketshare statistics show that very little people are actually affected by them.

Techpowerup is still a great website IMO. It's my favourite place to go to look at PC stuff, especially GPU related. Lots of tests, lots of data, gives you enough data to asses things from your own perspective.

I've recently re-discovered Igor's lab, some great stuff there especially WRT to GPU power consumption and transient power spikes (TDP/TBP is a lie).

Techpowerup is still a great website IMO. It's my favourite place to go to look at PC stuff, especially GPU related. Lots of tests, lots of data, gives you enough data to asses things from your own perspective.

I've recently re-discovered Igor's lab, some great stuff there especially WRT to GPU power consumption and transient power spikes (TDP/TBP is a lie).

There seem to be a bunch of good German sites. I can't remember all of the names.

What she describes, if true, would warrant a serious case of workplace bullying and harassment (with bonus sexual harassment) regardless of generation.

The ability of a group of "colleagues" to target, undermine and mentally harm an individual is something that most people don't really understand until they've seen it.

I've seen so many Gen Z employees that are entitled and don't accept any critic. They are offended by everything and create shit storm in the workspace from very little. I don't say it's the case here, she may be very right but what I'm saying is that we must wait for the other side of the story before throwing LMG under the bus. Is it so controversial ?

When would be the appropriate time?

Before Linus' mask had slipped, and she was going up against a hugely popular tech celebrity with unlimited funds (and an army of internet sycophants) to go after her? After all this was over and no-one would listen to her?

If her story is to be believed, then people within within Linus Media Group continued to bully and harass her even when she was at her weakest. Why wouldn't she speak out when her voice was at its loudest?
They are many ways to solve a problem without making it a big scandal. You talk to management first. Then you escalate to HR, even the boss. If still no result, then in most countries you can complain to the appropriate government entity. I mean that you don't need to expose the issue to the whole world because in the vast majority nobody wins in terms of PR. My HR solved all our cases by communication with the employee and unfortunately sometimes by trial, but never our company have been on the public radar. that's the point I wanted to make.

Anyway, I know that my stance is not popular but I wanted to give another perspective to the debate. After all that's what a forum is for

Techpowerup is still a great website IMO.
They have (or at least had last time I've checked this) a problem with updating their data though as it seems that they don't update it at all and just reuse the old benchmarking data for new benchmarks. This usually means that the results are incorrect since game patches and new drivers tend to change the results quite a bit.

They have (or at least had last time I've checked this) a problem with updating their data though as it seems that they don't update it at all and just reuse the old benchmarking data for new benchmarks. This usually means that the results are incorrect since game patches and new drivers tend to change the results quite a bit.
AFAIK they still make sure the results for the GPUs in the individual game tests for a specific review are up to date. The performance summaries use old data for GPUs not in that specific review.

what I'm saying is that we must wait for the other side of the story before throwing LMG under the bus. Is it so controversial ?

I don't see how their side of the story is going to make their position any better. Everything in her story will probably have at least enough truth that they won't want to bother getting into a public back-and-forth over the details or how they distinguish bullying and harassment from familial tough-love and acerbic candor. The question that I have is what are LMG's blue chip sponsors going to do about all this? I see no upside for folks like Intel, Dell, AMD, Nvidia, etc to keep their brands attached to his company. How much of an ad revenue hit do they need to take before their business model and scale of operation doesn't work?

As for the rest of these Techtubers, they exist only on a separate plain of reality, only catering for clicks and views coming from the absolute lowest common denominator of the average "joe" man. They no longer care about progress or tech, only what makes the "masses" eager to click. As a result, they no longer became relevant, their content is regarded as mere technical drama, and the recent marketshare statistics show that very little people are actually affected by them.

I guess it's the internet-age equivalent of cable TV. Niche content channels grow and become general audience entertainment channels eventually. Whether you start as The Nashville Network, History, or Discovery Channel, you eventually end up as a reality TV channel. The Youtube equivalent of that would be vlogging I guess.

I've seen so many Gen Z employees that are entitled and don't accept any critic. They are offended by everything and create shit storm in the workspace from very little. I don't say it's the case here, she may be very right but what I'm saying is that we must wait for the other side of the story before throwing LMG under the bus. Is it so controversial ?

They are many ways to solve a problem without making it a big scandal. You talk to management first. Then you escalate to HR, even the boss. If still no result, then in most countries you can complain to the appropriate government entity. I mean that you don't need to expose the issue to the whole world because in the vast majority nobody wins in terms of PR. My HR solved all our cases by communication with the employee and unfortunately sometimes by trial, but never our company have been on the public radar. that's the point I wanted to make.

Anyway, I know that my stance is not popular but I wanted to give another perspective to the debate. After all that's what a forum is for
well, some of her claims might be a bit childish, like when she says they asked them to be assertive and then she tried to act like that, but LMG staff said she seemed to be too bossy. In a big corporation those are like abstract and little thoughts not one care about.

However, I insist that given how Linus seems to work she might have a point there, with many issues she detailed. I mean, I watched few videos of them, from which some are worth watching but I was a subscriber on youtube, and whether it was they wanted to transform it into some kind of TV show or other reason, many episodes come out as odd.

Linus seems to be that odd guy, and sometimes even their employees don't seem to be comfortable around him. Maybe given their technological background, they might not be comfortable around humans overall, but it's probably the former. If I worked with Linus I'm not sure how I'd feel. As a spectator, his high-pitched voice and his condescending tone, are just a huge turn off for me.

How do you humble a man like that?

Some of their staff seem okey, like that guy with the glasses and some beard telling jokes. Some others aren't also particularly likable. There is that blonde guy with a cap -sometimes- which is as expressive as a stone. He comes out as a bit of a soulless person. Then there is that Linux nerd with that sloppy aspect, that gives me the creeps but I gotta admit I sometimes learnt from him.

What worries me the most is that maybe except German people, we dont have a tech jesus christ. -excluding DF from this 'cos they are more gaming and performance oriented, not other type of hardware-, as @DavidGraham mentioned.

There are too many jayztwocents, sadly, whose channels shows lots of subtle signs that their computing knowledge doesn't really extend beyond "they installed a graphics card once and thinks they're an expert"

Back