Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Does anyone know if their is some virtual address space limit of ~100GB to the GPU? I've seen a couple references to that figure, and not sure if that supposed to be an actual limit, or example of package size. Seems like a limit and so I wonder what happens in cases where the game package is >100GB.

Does anyone know if their is some virtual address space limit of ~100GB to the GPU? I've seen a couple references to that figure, and not sure if that supposed to be an actual limit, or example of package size. Seems like a limit and so I wonder what happens in cases where the game package is >100GB.

Not that I know but I don't see much point for GPU cards to have a fully encoded 64bit addressbus and waste chip space on it. So there might be some 128GB or so virtual address space limit.

48 or 49 bits of adressing.

The same approach as Sony. Even when you are finishing up your next piece of hardware (One X), you're already making notes and preparing the ground or what comes next even though that is 5-6 years away. You're probably already talking to vendors about securing supplies of RAM even though you may not know exactly what type, capacity and price, just having a provisional volume contract in place gives both parties some security regarding future business. This has become more critical for consoles as they have made greater and greater use of commodity components - you're now competing with so many more people for those items at low prices.

What's weird is to think they are probably thinking about XSX 2 (and PS6) NOW. Or at least in another year.

But I suppose in early years it's only in very general terms as they can't have what kind of tech will be available in 7 years narrowed down. So they're probably just got a few people "thinking" about 2027 gen in theoretical or broad industry terms.

the way my One X is constrained by being only able to run One games at a higher res.
Your going to have to give me some examples where the base Xbox is holding back the 1X.

It's not limited to run games at just higher res, and if that's all it does then what makes you think it could do better?
What effects, rendering techniques, gameplay mechanics?
I've seen it said, and never an example given.

Don't forget it needs to render at a reasonable resolution for what it was sold as (4k machine), so above 1080p min

Last edited:
DIsagree. Every game on both consoles for the first 1-2 years at least will be using an engine that wasn't developed specifically for the next gen consoles. Just because they all had to start development before there was even

We will just have to wait and see but going with history there have been games at console launches that looked like they wouldn't be possible on the previous gen.
Next gen might be different but we will have to wait and see.

I personally feel that there will be at least one game in the launch window on PS5 that will look like it wouldn't be possible on current gen.

DIsagree. Every game on both consoles for the first 1-2 years at least will be using an engine that wasn't developed specifically for the next gen consoles. Just because they all had to start development before there was even hardware for the next gen consoles.
That depends on how quickly Bethesda Game Studios release Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. Fallout 4 was 2015 - Fallout 76 was by another team.

Todd Howard has spoken about Starfield and said it was nextgen only back in 2018. And you know when Bethesda say it is nextgen, not only not run on current gen, it was barely run on nextgen hardware either! :runaway: I jest, the robustness of Fallout 4 hugely surprised me and look what a better engine did for Skyrim (Special Edition).

It's also why I feel XSX not having a launch game made exclusively for it is a mistake, I mean what's the point of releasing the most powerful console and there's nothing to showcase it at launch.

Just because they supporting both platforms doesn't mean they won't take advantage newer technologies & features on the XBSX. PC does this kind of thing all of the time.

Tommy McClain

Just because they supporting both platforms doesn't mean they won't take advantage newer technologies & features on the XBSX. PC does this kind of thing all of the time.

Tommy McClain

It's not like I haven't been playing games on the PC since 1990.
Seriously I would be very disappointed if next gen games are just prettier versions of games that can run on a jaguar CPU and 1.2 TFlop graphics part.

Very bloody disappointed.

I will not buy a next gen consoles if that's the case what's the bloody point.

Crash bandicoot blew my mind when I saw it on PS1 demo disk.
Ssx and mgs2( actually saw the mgs2 trailer on a VHS tape that came with a magazine). Ghost recon advanced warfighter and Gears of War for 360 same as infamous second son and killzone on PS4.

Probably were others too just cant remember now.

Last edited:
This was somewhat interesting though not much new stuff. Optical audio port was mentioned. Basically MS statistics show very few people use it. It made sense to remove optical and use that mony elsewhere. Also pricepoint was mentioned to be critically important.

This was somewhat interesting though not much new stuff. Optical audio port was mentioned. Basically MS statistics show very few people use it. It made sense to remove optical and use that mony elsewhere. Also pricepoint was mentioned to be critically important.

he mentions Ryse around the 49:40 minutes mark. He doesn't say much, but anyways.

10:45: "go big with [Xbox All Access] at the launch of the consoles" -note the plural consoles-

he mentions Ryse around the 49:40 minutes mark. He doesn't say much, but anyways.

10:45: "go big with [Xbox All Access] at the launch of the consoles" -note the plural consoles-

Something I like when hearing Phil talk. From what I've heard and read, he doesn't try to blame anyone for the position that Xbox is in.

He always says that "we" messed up, not the previous management who aren't there anymore or anyone else, but we. He's in charge so he'll take the blame for what he has inherited. Consumers don't care who messed up they just want the company to acknowledge that they F'd up and that they are working to fix whatever went wrong. He always acknowledges that the XBO launch burned a lot of former Xbox gamers and they are still on the long road of earning back their trust.

And the other thing that is always nice to see from the head of the gaming division is that he always stresses that the gamer is at the center of all the decisions that they make. A nod to how they (Microsoft) F'd up the XBO launch and messaging and how they are now focused on games as the #1 priority. I'm sure they if they weren't rivals, Sony would be welcoming them back to the club of focusing division decisions on the gamers and not on things like the "living room experience." That last is still there, obviously, but it's no longer competing with the gaming focus. Gaming first, other things if they can.

Also, something that may or may not be important. When talking about price, many times, he'll refer back to the start of the PS4/XBO generation and how price was a major factor in XBO stumbling hard out of the gate. Combined with other things he's said in the past, I think he's going to try to launch the XBSX at the same price as the PS5, even if that potentially means eating a bunch of the cost.

Microsoft has deep pockets and they can certainly afford to do that if they think it'll win back some market share. Additionally from things he's said, it appears that Xbox's position as a division of Microsoft is the strongest it has ever been WRT to the board of directors and investors. You can see signs of that with how much freedom Phil has had WRT to acquiring new studios. They aren't working under an ever present cloud of distrust from investors wanting Microsoft to divest themselves of the Xbox division as they have in past.

Regards,
SB

And Sony has data about BC use yet here we are.

Another thing, what’s to say that the % of early adopters isn’t high? Those that are buying the XSX day one may be more likely to be rocking an audio setup which is fed via optical, just because the majority don’t doesn’t mean it’s a redundant feature.

And Sony has data about BC use yet here we are.

Another thing, what’s to say that the % of early adopters isn’t high? Those that are buying the XSX day one may be more likely to be rocking an audio setup which is fed via optical, just because the majority don’t doesn’t mean it’s a redundant feature.
Did I hear that they are working with them to get it working via USB?
If that's the case maybe some sort of USB to optical adapter may be on the horizon. Otherwise what is there to work with them on?

Yes, it was posted a week ago that Microsoft is working with headset and headphone manufacturers to get their firmware upgrades on the base stations / adapter plugs to be able to do their audio feed over USB connections. It was mentioned last week in the interview with Phil Spencer too.

I think someone reposted the interview again the other day.

agreed. I'm actually one of those that use optical because my old 5.1 amp doesn't support anything else. But the Tv has multiple HDMi inputs and an optical out passthrough so it suffices. Any modern amp in the 2010s would have had HDMI as an input. Any new TV would support optical out pass through as well.

Back