Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Shown in the previous tear down video you was discussing.
You unlatch it from the inside.
I wonder why they didn't just go with a screw accessible from outside. Ok, I do know, cost/complexity. It all adds up.

I wonder why they didn't just go with a screw accessible from outside. Ok, I do know, cost/complexity. It all adds up.

They already have a twist lock on the stand. They don't have to have the internal latch. Guess they just didn't like the screws exposed.

They already have a twist lock on the stand. They don't have to have the internal latch. Guess they just didn't like the screws exposed.
Maybe. It's not exposed in vertical orientation, only horizontal where it wouldn't be because people would take the bloody stand off! ;)

The only reason I can think of is that they don't want it to be removed.

People may remove it or loose stand and still put it in the vertical orientation because it can easily stand without it. But that would cover the air inlet holes.

TW has an early look at the Apple TV App for Xbox Series X|S.

*HDR disabled for capture purposes.

The only reason I can think of is that they don't want it to be removed.

If so, I wonder why they didn't just mould the stand shape into the bottom of the console itself rather than making two things then clipping them together.

GamePass is their feature for now, but they may get around to it next gen as a way to continue to evolve the GamePass experience.

all that money is being invested towards studios, games, services and cloud right now.
I think given their situation with games, this is the right call for them.
I'm still surprised at the amount of people who own an Xbox and don't have gamepass. Just had this conversation yesterday with a dad looking for a newer release that's on gamepass, and he couldn't see the value of gamepass and just wanted to spend $50 on a used copy of that game and complain about the price. $50 is 5 months of gamepass! Or more than that if you are already paying for Live.

Don't quite understand. The X1X UI is 1080p as well, and I haven't noticed any flickering when launching 4K games?
That's because Xbox has, since 360, output whatever resolution you have it configured to output, regardless of what resolution the content is being generated at.

It depends on the two devices and increasingly modern TVs don't tend to exhibit this. Even if you don't see a flicker, it can take a few seconds to switch resolutions/framerates/formats - again, depending on the two devices.
Not on Xbox, because it doesn't change resolution based on content. Even if you have a 1x hooked up to a 720p display and a game renders at 4k, it scales it down to fit the display.

Not on Xbox, because it doesn't change resolution based on content. Even if you have a 1x hooked up to a 720p display and a game renders at 4k, it scales it down to fit the display.
What about HDMI renegotiation for framerate and HDR? If you have a 4K HDR that supports 120Hz but only a limited VRR range, it'll switch for whatever is optimum for the game I assume? And I imagine HDR is game-specific too?

What about HDMI renegotiation for framerate and HDR? If you have a 4K HDR that supports 120Hz but only a limited VRR range, it'll switch for whatever is optimum for the game I assume? And I imagine HDR is game-specific too?
I don't have a TV that supports VRR to test, but based on the way other settings work, it won't let you enable things at the same time that your display doesn't support together. Also, and I don't think PS4 supports this, but you can set your Xbox One to output using DVI protocols over HDMI, which gives you access to weird PC only resolutions. And, I've seen Xbox Ones that sometimes still have messed up video out if they've had their HDMI ports replaced that still work fine in DVI mode. Not exactly sure what that does differently, but maybe it uses different pins to transmit the signal.

I don't have a TV that supports VRR to test, but based on the way other settings work, it won't let you enable things at the same time that your display doesn't support together. Also, and I don't think PS4 supports this, but you can set your Xbox One to output using DVI protocols over HDMI, which gives you access to weird PC only resolutions. And, I've seen Xbox Ones that sometimes still have messed up video out if they've had their HDMI ports replaced that still work fine in DVI mode. Not exactly sure what that does differently, but maybe it uses different pins to transmit the signal.
This makes sense. HDMI cables are only rated by bandwidth (standard, high-speed, premium high-speed, ultra-high-speed), the HDMI standards (1.4, 2.0, 2.1) determine what features the devices support and ultimately the negotiation is about what both devices can support given the available bandwidth of the cable. It's probably a lot better now than it used to be, hence the weird flickery thing mostly being a thing of the past.

The DVI thing is interesting, this may explain why Xbox can output 1440p which is a HDMI supported resolution but not a standard one for TVs. Not that this is a good reason for PS5 not to support it because not everybody games on a TV. My previous Bravia X-Series supported 1440p input from my PC at 60Hz right until a firmware update when it didn't anymore. It seems like a weird thing to remove.

It hides the screws. They'd be exposed if the base was moulded.

Oh I see, there are screws in the bottom obscured by the clip-on stand. I don't like the influence anti-screw-head movement have over console manufacturers. :nope: Sony made a little compartment to hide their screw when not in use and even the thread on the bottom has a rubber stopper for when the screw is not in place. Just... why? :???:

Oh I see, there are screws in the bottom obscured by the clip-on stand. I don't like the influence anti-screw-head movement have over console manufacturers. :nope: Sony made a little compartment to hide their screw when not in use and even the thread on the bottom has a rubber stopper for when the screw is not in place. Just... why? :???:

I'd like to see the engineering time that went into that stability base. :)

This makes sense. HDMI cables are only rated by bandwidth (standard, high-speed, premium high-speed, ultra-high-speed), the HDMI standards (1.4, 2.0, 2.1) determine what features the devices support and ultimately the negotiation is about what both devices can support given the available bandwidth of the cable. It's probably a lot better now than it used to be, hence the weird flickery thing mostly being a thing of the past.

The DVI thing is interesting, this may explain why Xbox can output 1440p which is a HDMI supported resolution but not a standard one for TVs. Not that this is a good reason for PS5 not to support it because not everybody games on a TV. My previous Bravia X-Series supported 1440p input from my PC at 60Hz right until a firmware update when it didn't anymore. It seems like a weird thing to remove.
I've never had the flickery thing happen on Xbox, except with the original. 360 and One have bot just output a signal that's whatever resolution you have set in the control panel. And 1440p support, I haven't actually looked to see if that changes the output to DVI, but it might.

WITCHCRAFT!!! How is that even connected to the drive?!?! :runaway:

It's not connected. It's a guide. It allows the paper clip to be guided through the big holes behind the stand. Remember the the stand is on the left side of the case when laid sideways.The same side as the Bluray/DVD drive. In fact, you can see the corner of the Bluary/DVD slot on the right side of the image.

Link to original image I used.

Tommy McClain

It's interesting that they are some titles that QuickResume doesn't work with, I wonder what they could be doing that the OS can't capture or that causes issues when restored. Maybe persistent online games?
Obviously multiplayer games.
But like you said, even single player often connects to a server, so depending on how it handles loss of connection etc will determine if it works or not.

Back