Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

For how long do you think BC will keep people interested in the console?
Wouldn't it have been better to release the SeriesX/S some 2 or 3 quarters later?
MS has a marketing problem not an experience problem. People want a new title to show off their new hardware and for whatever reason most people associate that only exclusives are capable of this. And reviewers who have had the system never got the chance to try the next gen patches on the Ubisoft titles. Cyberpunk and others all got delayed etc.

but Series XS will launch with a critical 3P titles of many next generation 3P titles that will tax the system. There’s no reason to delay the hardware for Halo.

Don't quite understand. The X1X UI is 1080p as well, and I haven't noticed any flickering when launching 4K games?
It depends on the two devices and increasingly modern TVs don't tend to exhibit this. Even if you don't see a flicker, it can take a few seconds to switch resolutions/framerates/formats - again, depending on the two devices.

MS has a marketing problem not an experience problem. People want a new title to show off their new hardware and for whatever reason most people associate that only exclusives are capable of this. And reviewers who have had the system never got the chance to try the next gen patches on the Ubisoft titles. Cyberpunk and others all got delayed etc.
A well-optimised Series S/X version of Cyberpunk for launch would have been utterly amazing. Perhaps not the full nextegn patch but significantly better that whatever lower-effort version PS5 will get.

It depends on the two devices and increasingly modern TVs don't tend to exhibit this. Even if you don't see a flicker, it can take a few seconds to switch resolutions/framerates/formats - again, depending on the two devices.

I'm not sure that the Xbox One X or Series X are actually switching resolutions when going to the dashboard. They may just be rendering it internally at 1080p and letting the display controller upscale the signal to 4K output. If that's the situation, then no flickering would happen if going from 4k game to dashboard, unless it does for going from HDR to nonHDR signal or 120fps down to 60.

I wish we had more technical info on what is being done, even if its really boring material for video or articles for most, it should be visited after all the glamorous topics are hit. :yep2:

I think the vast improvements to the vast majority of current gen games will be really compelling. I am someone who does re-play games, and whilst I'm now holding off on getting a Series X until after Christmas, on PS5 I will be finishing off Ghost of Tsushima and I'm also looking forward to my next replays of Horizon, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II and God of War - games that are purely gratifying to play. From the PS+ Collection I missed Bloodborne and The Last Guardian and I've gotten into JPRGs (FF XII, Tales of Vesperia, Ni No Kuni) so I'm looking forward to dipping into FF XV and Persona 5.

Different games from what's on Xbox but the principle is the same. As I've said before, I think b/c is more compelling now. Last gen graphics still hold up well and with boosted, solid frame rates will be better than ever.

I don’t think people should underestimate what the PS+ collection brings to the table. PS+ is almost a requirement for playing these days, so even a new PS gamer will get instant access to 10 PS exclusives they’ve never played and the rest of us I would say at least half a dozen games we never tried.

I'm not sure that the Xbox One X or Series X are actually switching resolutions when going to the dashboard. They may just be rendering it internally at 1080p and letting the display controller upscale the signal to 4K output. If that's the situation, then no flickering would happen if going from 4k game to dashboard, unless it does for going from HDR to nonHDR signal or 120fps down to 60.
I assume it was just just outputting native. Most TVs have a way to display the details of the incoming HDMI signal so hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

But it's worth keeping in mind that until the launch of both consoles, what we're seeing on both could (and likely is) pre-release firmware. :yep2:

I assume it was just just outputting native. Most TVs have a way to display the details of the incoming HDMI signal so hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

But it's worth keeping in mind that until the launch of both consoles, what we're seeing on both could (and likely is) pre-release firmware. :yep2:

I'd be rather surprised myself that MS wouldn't have it done on the display controller, this removes upscalers on TVs being a problem if they are of poor quality (as it is for most cheap TVs). While this does mean that MS would have to have a good quality upscaler, they could also provide a setting that disables it. Kind of like Windows display drivers ability to have either the GPU or the attached display device handle different resolutions as well as resolution scaling.

Due to the convenience, I always have GPU scaling enabled as it's generally better quality than whatever display is hooked up. Additionally, back in the day some monitors couldn't handle some standard non-native resolutions. An old HP 30" 2560x1600 display that I had could only output native and 640x480 (yes, a really strange choice for a 16:10 display) and nothing in between. :p Thankfully I could forgive it that transgression because the display was amazing otherwise and it came at a reasonable price for the time.

Considering both AMD and MS have experience in this area, I'd be surprised if it wasn't done on the console and scaled to the video output setting.

Regards,
SB

While this does mean that MS would have to have a good quality upscaler, they could also provide a setting that disables it.
In an ideal world (like on PC) consoles would let you chose if your console or the TV upscaled. Some TVs have tremendously good upscalers which are designed to cope with everything from 480i (DVD) unto 1080p (Blu-ray) and everything in-between.

Don't quite understand. The X1X UI is 1080p as well, and I haven't noticed any flickering when launching 4K games?
When the game is in HDR, the TV has to switch mode. Otherwise there is indeed no flickering as the Xboxes (including the One S) when connected to a 4K TV always output 4K signal.

A well-optimised Series S/X version of Cyberpunk for launch would have been utterly amazing. Perhaps not the full nextegn patch but significantly better that whatever lower-effort version PS5 will get.
I'm not sure what the logic is here.
A series X optimized version of Cyberpunk would be better than a "low effort" version on the PS5?
And why would CDP do that?

Nice Q&A video from Jez Corden @ Windows Central...

Join Jez for another #AskJezXbox! This week, we talk about Dynamic Themes (and maybe show some off...) along with Xbox Series X, Series S battery compatibility, Quick Resume nuances, and much more.

Tommy McClain

Well, the solid mid chassis, honking vapor chamber, but mostly all the screwing. Looking like a fair effort to assemble it.

To me it doesn't look any more complicated that the Sony console in terms of labor to assemble, as this one reminds me of Lego/Tetris so it seems simple. Yes the vapor chamber could cost more, but then you're not dealing with liquid metal and larger heatsink and plastic hooks and the like or an incredibly over engineered stability base. *shrug*

To me it doesn't look any more complicated that the Sony console in terms of labor to assemble, as this one reminds me of Lego/Tetris so it seems simple. Yes the vapor chamber could cost more, but then you're not dealing with liquid metal and larger heatsink and plastic hooks and the like or an incredibly over engineered stability base. *shrug*

Wasn't making a comparative comment. Although the PS5's cheap looking fan covers are offensive. ;)

Wasn't making a comparative comment. Although the PS5's cheap looking fan covers are offensive. ;)

Yeah, I was just trying to look for something as a reference point for a $499 console. I think it is fair to say it is more expensive to assemble than Series S, but I'm not sure exactly how much more expensive it would be if compared to OneX assembly. Is this a 2x as expensive or a 5x as expensive or does being more modular simply some of the steps bringing down the costs? I really don't know, hence my asking questions. Some things in life end up costing more even if they seem simpler meanwhile more complex items could be slightly cheaper.

No idea what was required to do this but ...

"And they said the Xbox Series X stand wasn't removable"
Shown in the previous tear down video you was discussing.
You unlatch it from the inside.

The cost was in reference to quality of parts more so than assembly, in teardown video anyway.
It also wasn't in relation to PS5 but to previous consoles. The size of vapour chamber and solid bit of aluminum etc.

Back