XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure about this gifting idea. My reading of Microsoft's statements is that the 30 day friend one-time transfer only applies to physical game discs. I've not seen anything to say that applies to DD games.

You're confusing 2 different things. Understandable because this is all new & Microsoft hasn't been as clear as they should be.

Anyway, there is way to _GIVE_ your _DISC_ game to another person(not lend, loan, rent,etc). That person has to be on your friends list at least 30 days & it can only be given once.

The other thing is you will be able to share your games library(remember once you install a disc game to the hard drive you have a digital version that is now part of your library. You'll be able to share this library with up to 10 "family members". These can actually be anybody on your friends list, not just family & not just in your home. But only 1 game from your library can be shared at a time. If you have 10 games & somebody is already playing one of your games, nobody else can play any of the other games in your library.

I hopeful Microsoft will continue to be transparent about how this whole system will work. It will just take a bit of time to flesh it all out.

Tommy McClain

I read that as "we don't want to share revenue with other industry players, and we would like the middlemen out so we can take a larger portion of the revenue".

Oh please. They can Fking accomplish what this engineer is saying by giong DD without doing any of the DRM to physical based games. What an excuse.

Just price your DD games cheaper on Xbox Live and you'll take these middlemen out.
Mission Accomplished.
There's absolutely no need to fiddle with the disk based DRM.

To do that you would have to exclude disc based purchases from all the stated benefits. As it stands now they are treating the disc as a fast install method, or a low data cap benefit. Not to mention keeping retailers happy to properly stock/display the console.

@Tommy - can the disk then be given away by the new holder? I am still confused by the wording.

You're confusing 2 different things. Understandable because this is all new & Microsoft hasn't been as clear as they should be.

Anyway, there is way to _GIVE_ your _DISC_ game to another person(not lend, loan, rent,etc). That person has to be on your friends list at least 30 days & it can only be given once.

The other thing is you will be able to share your games library(remember once you install a disc game to the hard drive you have a digital version that is now part of your library. You'll be able to share this library with up to 10 "family members". These can actually be anybody on your friends list, not just family & not just in your home. But only 1 game from your library can be shared at a time. If you have 10 games & somebody is already playing one of your games, nobody else can play any of the other games in your library.

I hopeful Microsoft will continue to be transparent about how this whole system will work. It will just take a bit of time to flesh it all out.

Tommy McClain

Just to add on: family members apparently also need to be on friends list for 30 days until you can add them.

I can see the effectiveness of the regular check-in for physical discs.

However, couldn't the digital downloads be engineered to not need it?
The call-up is needed for discs because they are dumb pieces of plastic that don't know how many machines they've been slotted in before.
However, digital downloads can, with certain privileged parts of the system that at least in part already exist (Trustzone or the like), be encrypted and made unique to the system and time they are downloaded, such that they cannot hop machines unless there are pirates able to clone the internal keys and encrypted serial numbers/internal registers of thousands of consoles.

They'd be verified in the instant they were installed, and the server would know just how many copies it had dispensed. What's going to change in 24 hours for those games?

@Tommy - can the disk then be given away by the new holder? I am still confused by the wording.

The way I read it: no. Sounds like it's a one-shot deal. There would be no incentives to purchase new games if you could indefinitely keep giving the disc. If that happened, it's basically just loaning the disc for which they have said will not be possible at lunch^H^H^H^Haunch. LOL.

Tommy McClain

Much better answer. Accepted.

Same game on different family member, different console, at same time seems to be still up in the air I guess.

WHAT? No it isn't.

You can't play the same game at the same time on the One. You only have ONE COPY of the game.

How friggin difficult is this for you people to understand? Sure, I understand there's a little bit of confusion as to whether or not the person is actually PHYSICALLY at your house and playing on YOUR console or not, but really.

No, I can't be playing Halo5 and have shared my game with NavNuc and he's also playing Halo5 because there's only a single copy of the game so we can't both be playing it at the same time.

But, if NavNuc comes to my house, he can play Halo5 with me and doesn't even need an Xbox Live Gold account in order to do so.

Now, if he leaves my house (I don't know why he would, because I've got all the good snacks), and goes back to his place, he can play Halo5 if he's on my "family" list and I've passed out and are no longer playing.

This isn't a really difficult concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the Twitter guys are just as confused as everybody else. I don't think they've been consistent. One moment only one game from your shared library can be played at a time, the next all 10 of your family members can be playing 10 different games at the exact same time. Personally I find the former more believable than the latter.

Tommy McClain

WHAT? No it isn't.

You can't play the same game at the same time on the One. You only have ONE COPY of the game.

How friggin difficult is this for you people to understand? Sure, I understand there's a little bit of confusion as to whether or not the person is actually PHYSICALLY at your house and playing on YOUR console or not, but really.

No, I can't be playing Halo5 and have shared my game with NavNuc and he's also playing Halo5 because there's only a single copy of the game so we can't both be playing it at the same time.

But, if NavNuc comes to my house, he can play Halo5 with me and doesn't even need an Xbox Live Gold account in order to do so.

Now, if he leaves my house (I don't know why he would, because I've got all the good snacks), and goes back to his place, he can play Halo5 if he's on my "family" list and I've passed out and are no longer playing.

This isn't a really difficult concept.

Whoa, calm down.

I'm saying it's still up in the air because as far as I've seen no Microsoft representative has directly shot that scenario down. Of course we understand we only own one copy by buying only one disk, on one account.

We all believe that you can't access the same game from two accounts at the same time, but as it apparently has not been confirmed as false (see the response from support rep), we are still putting a question mark on it until proven otherwise.

Why is putting a question mark on this issue a sign of a Sony fanboyism? It's actually a good thing for Xbox One consumers if it is true, no?
:?:
Microsoft fanboyism I can understand, but... er...

You do mean if the game has split screen multiplayer right?

Sounds like the Twitter guys are just as confused as everybody else. I don't think they've been consistent. One moment only one game from your shared library can be played at a time, the next all 10 of your family members can be playing 10 different games at the exact same time. Personally I find the former more believable than the latter.

The Twitter accounts are manned by hourly peons who have no idea what they're talking about and probably should have been instructed not to try and answer these policy questions. Let's not forget they were wrong about just about everything in the wake of the Xbox One's original reveal. Hell, Stepto and Eric Neustadter were on the Giant Bomb stream tonight flat out saying @XboxSupport is not a reliable source for anything about Xbox One. there job is to answer questions about the 360. That's what they're trained on and briefed for.

Just to add on: family members apparently also need to be on friends list for 30 days until you can add them.

I don't think that is accurate. However there is a 30 day limit between switching someone out and adding that same person back. But you can create a brand new account for a friend or family member and add them right away to your family group as long as you have a free slot for them.

Phil Spencer said DRM policies might change in the long term. I don't have a hypothesis for changes, but they can be less or more restrictive, both options are actual changes.

http://ready-up.net/news/xbox-one-drm-policies-open-to-long-term-change/

Phil Spencer, Microsoft Studios' corporate vice president, says that while current Xbox One DRM plans are set in stone changes could be made in the future.

Spencer went on to talk about how products change over time, using Xbox 360′s integration of Netflix, a service that simply didn’t exist when the console was released.

We will be as attentive to that feedback on Xbox One as we were through 360. So what Larry’s saying is that these systems evolve. We’re a software company. If you think about the amount of times we changed the operating system on 360…”

In essence Spencer is saying that the rules can change, but it won’t happen in the short term. If you’re waiting for an Xbox One policy change between now and release then you may well be left wanting.

The Xbox One’s DRM policies have been a huge issue for Microsoft over the last week and they’ve been taking fire from all angles over the past week. It’s good to know that the system can change...

As ever we can simply hope that Microsoft pays close attention to criticism.

Nothing. Except the One was designed from the ground up, and has numerous resources devoted specifically to take advantage of the fact that all of the content on the system is stored in the cloud.

I really hate it when Sony fans keep saying that the One is a gimped console because it has so many resources devoted to doing things other than gaming, and yet when those advantages are pointed out they believe that Sony can simply switch gears mid-stream and introduce those same features and functionality.

They can't. Can they offer a PS4 with no optical drive that is strictly DD? Sure. But is there an end benefit to the consumer in how the console deals with that media? Nope. Because the PS4 wasn't designed to perform that way, or offer that functionality, or have so much RAM reserved for the OS and media and entertainment functions that allow the multitasking and instant switching, etc. The only benefit of the PS4 removing the optical drive would be (perhaps) a cheaper console.

There's no experience benefit to the consumer for Sony doing that.

We don't know what the RAM reservation is for PS4 but the fact that their OS is based off BSD suggest a very efficient offering. XB1 RAM reservation has as much to do with the fact that they want it to be able leverage apps developed for the rest of their ecosystem.

I see no reason why PS4 couldn't offer virtually all the same software features in a smaller footprint than what MS is doing now. The only thing categorically Sony can not do is overlay their UI on top of your TV channel because they don't have HDMI input on the device. However assuming someone has Eyetoy they can use motion controls to navigate the UI as well as voice commands as well.

I'm curious how you are concluding that all this can't be done on PS4. I would expect that the features at launch will only be expanded upon over time just as we saw with both the 360 and PS3. It simply comes down to Sony reserving enough space for potential future firmware updates. The services I will get on both devices will improve. And again the footprint on XB1 has as much to do with the framework they are tied to as anything else.

So, I just realized something about Microsoft's DRM approach that seems incredibly obvious in retrospect, but that didn't hit me until just now.

That is, Microsoft's DRM policy has nothing at all to do with preventing used games sales to benefit the publishers. Instead, they're doing it to deliberately devalue the physical disk.
Well if they have passed on physical disk their policies may have been perceived differently. In my opinion, if they moved to digital download then the Live subscription fee would no longer have made sense aka, the Xbox UI/front end (whatever really costs money not online gaming) could get profitable by self as MSFT would get its money from the sales of games, apps, etc. instead of letting some margins to retailers.
To me the hard cold truth is that both for Sony and MSFT the fee they are asking us to pay is to maintain the their appstore "wannabee" which can't be profitable as digital still has not overtaken physical sales.

It shouldn't be a big deal if they allowed potential owners to create an account on xbox.com without actually having the hardware, but it seems unlikely.

As far as I'm concerned, my brother is in my friends list already. Not recently, by the way, in case you're wondering. Rather, that was about 5 years ago. Since 2008 or so. The question should be how I could add new members of my family like my sister-in-law and the like if they don't have the actual hardware. I could buy them a new console whenever I buy mine, but at launch price even if I came quite close to buy it, I'd chicken out. :smile:

I am pretty tired of writing today, I replied to PMs, posts and stuff and I feel hungry, kinda ot I know.

yep he's right what they wanted to do is important and could get game prices down and strengthen the industry but since they never told the story ...they pissed off a lot of people

they better figure out a way to tell it soon

Tommy McClain

Thank you sir for the clarification! Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back