Value of consoles versus PC, post PS5Pro edition *spawn

I get a notification
View attachment 12039
I either select restart now then reboot and shutdown when I'm going to bed or restart now when I'm going to make myself a cup of coffee or similar
Yes the problem is when people didn't see the notification for whatever reason.

As the default option is widows will auto reboot if no user interaction, outside of active hours

If not the same feature set, you can at least buy GPUs with better feature sets!
As long as you buy NVIDIA, specifically the variants that are actually performant with those feature sets at console launch and over the span of the console lifecycle, then of course. And there's always something bigger and badder every 6 months or so to throw more money at, which is why the PS5 Pro doesn't seem so offensive all things considered.

I finally retired the 1080 and replaced it with a 4080 Super, so good luck everyone. I'd really like to see what AMD's 8000 series offers in comparison to the PS5 Pro considering the 8000 series won't even have high end variants.

Majority of the PC enthusiasts are on nvidia. This makes the PC comparisons unkind to consoles as nvidia is well ahead of AMD in terms of performance, feature set and software maturity.

If the consoles were compared to the AMD gpu’s only, they’d come across as better but that’s not reality.

Cool to see people excited for 1080/60fps though.

Some people will prefer PC, others will prefer consoles. For me I'm probably not touching PC unless it offers a hugely improved experience (usually requiring very high end hardware) or I want to game via home streaming.

For people who want to play on a TV, especially if they already have a recent PS console, I suspect they won't be cross shopping. Windows is a horrible experience on anything but a KB+M and dealing with driver updates, the Xbox Store breaking all the time, and game configuration is not fun. In any case the price comparison obviously favours the Pro, just maybe less obviously than certain prior consoles (but perhaps more than something like the Xbox One, which IIRC was not that hard to match for a similar price, outside of maybe VRAM allocation).

Maybe I'm wrong and everyone is mixing and matching consoles and PCs all the time, but I personally don't think the experiences are comparable. Windows is OK as a desktop operating system for some people and seems acceptable for PC gaming in its own context. PS5 offers a very well tuned, very easy to use console experience that works great on a TV. Just feels like apples and oranges to me beyond the superficial performance similarities or differences.

Possibly the more interesting comparison would be PS5 Pro vs. a PC running SteamOS 3.0 or 4.0 in the future, if Valve allows that, or a similar console-tuned OS like Bazzite. There I think the capabilities and convenience are a much closer match. You do take a hit on performance and compatibility though.

O Meezy is right. I don’t think their is much cross pollination at all and this refresh wont change that. It just wont sell particularly well.

I can see where you're coming from. I've always been a "console guy", I've dabbled with PC every now and then and used to own some pretty beef rigs (One of my last systems was equipped with an AMD 290x in crossfire) but in the end the ease of use from consoles won me over everytime (despite the technical shortcomings). On PC I'd spend needless amounts of time tinkering with settings, not neccesarily because it was required but because I had this urge to get everything out of my PC. From that aspect the simplicity and limitations of consoles are a blessing, especially now that the time that I can spend on games is becoming rarer. I do still have a laptop equipped with a 145w RTX4070 (talk about terrible price/performance ratio
😅
) to tinker around with, but that's used more for development.

I do find the comparisons between console and PC interesting from an academical point of view.

That said from what I've seen of the PS5 Pro, partially thanks to you, I don't see myself purchasing one anytime soon, not for the current €920 (~$1020) price tag.

Anecdotally: Most people I know in my area either game on a console or a PC, not both. I feel that it's mostly an internet thing where people actively own and use both.

Consoles will always have a place for the living room plug n play experience. It’ll just vary based on preferences and use cases.

I didn’t buy a console this gen and moved the family to PC gaming so each has their own setup. This gives them a lot more versatility and proficiency at using a PC for beyond gaming. With Steam family going forward, it’s even better for us.

We do have a switch which is great for family fun on the TV like monopoly, Mario kart etc. so it’s a nice balance. We just don’t have a use case for a ps5/xbox and neither is exciting enough from a tech enthusiast standpoint for me to buy one.

Here is a 5600x, 4070ti PC with 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd for 845€

Mind you, I'm subscribed to a telegram group that posts the craziest offers, so it's something for a few hundred people, but it puts into prospective how much of a worse deal PS5 Pro is compared to a base PS5 in 2020.

PS: and there we go, there were 2 units available, it's gone 🙃

So...PC is clearly better because every once in a while there's a ludicrous sale that turns out to be a con job or listing fail?

Ultimately, consoles are better value than PCs because sometimes someone steals a bunch and then gets chased by the cops and they dump the truck and while the police are chasing them on foot, you can sneak in and pinch one for free. If we're going by useless outliers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The price point of most things are what people are willing to pay, and unfortunately with PC hardware there is a whole other industry eyeing it for profit.

unless there is a way to separate that out, PCs will fundamentally run into this issue of being significantly more expensive.

I agree with Ollie that I’d you're committed to console lifestyle, there isn’t much of a choice here for you.

But the recent review of 5pro looks like significant plumbing needs to happen for there to be dramatic results. Right now, the simple plug in PSSR isn’t sufficient imo for an upgrade.

What doesn't help PC is the mentally that more expensive equals better.

You don't need a £250 motherboard, for gaming you can get a motherboard for £100 that has a great VRM and heat sink set-up and will be more than enough for gaming.

Same with RAM, I used a 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 kit that cost £109, you don't need a £300 RAM kit.

You don't need a 12GB/s PCIE5 NVME drive that costs £250, when an £80 2TB PCIE3 NVME at 2-3GB/s is more than enough.

But people see these videos on social media of these £5000 PC's and think that's what it costs to have a great gaming PC.

So...PC is clearly better because every once in a while there's a ludicrous sale that turns out to be a con job or listing fail?

Ultimately, consoles are better value than PCs because sometimes someone steals a bunch and then gets chased by the cops and they dump the truck and while the police are chasing them on foot, you can sneak in and pinch one for free. If we're going by useless outliers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My problem isn't with consoles, it's with PS5 pro. For 470€, you can get a PS5 disk, and even if it doesn't have all the cutting edge features, it's still a great deal (the best deal if you buy physical).

PS5 pro on the other hand positions itself as a premium machine for those that want the cutting edge, but fails a lot in that regard. No upgraded CPU ( even just 4.4ghz zen 2 would have been enough of an upgrade), no ai assisted frame generation, PSSR will need some time to reach maturity, no ray reconstruction, no AI HDR, no Nvidia level ray tracing.

930€ with the disk attachment. So when those very rare offers show up, they remind you of how much the pro misses the mark.

My problem isn't with consoles, it's with PS5 pro. For 470€, you can get a PS5 disk, and even if it doesn't have all the cutting edge features, it's still a great deal (the best deal if you buy physical).

PS5 pro on the other hand positions itself as a premium machine for those that want the cutting edge, but fails a lot in that regard. No upgraded CPU ( even just 4.4ghz zen 2 would have been enough of an upgrade), no ai assisted frame generation, PSSR will need some time to reach maturity, no ray reconstruction, no AI HDR, no Nvidia level ray tracing.

930€ with the disk attachment. So when those very rare offers show up, they remind you of how much the pro misses the mark.
That's exactly it. Base PS5 is a fairly good deal and I dont think any PC player could reasonably deny it.

PS5 Pro pushes into 'decent gaming PC' territory though, and even if you pay more for the PC in the end, you're getting something that offers way more for a gaming enthusiast than the console can in many ways. Basically a 'if I'm already spending this much...' kind of situation.

Obviously PC gaming is still not gonna be for everybody, but we know PC gaming is not some totally separate market from console gaming seeing how popular PC gaming has become in the last 10-15 years. Most of these folks were coming from being console gamers before, so there's absolutely overlap.

Same, it's pretty difficult to argue the extra cost of a 'good' gaming PC against the cost of a base PS5.

But it's so much easier to argue to the extra cost of a 'good' gaming PC vs PS5 Pro.

And that's the problem that PS5 Pro has, it's too close to the cost of a 'good' gaming PC.

A 7800XT (Essentially PS5 Pro's GPU) is £450 in the UK, but that's a full blown GPU complete with RAM, a large and complex PCB, large heatsink and a load additional components that just aren't needed for the Pro, Sony only really need the die, so they save a huge amount of money not only on that but also likely a bulk discount and due to the lower clocks can get away with lower quality yields.

And looking at the rest of PS5 Pro's specs, I can't understand where the extra cost is coming from? It could be using a slightly revised version of PS5 mainboard for all we know.

So I do believe Sony could have priced it cheaper, but that would mean they would have to either reduce base PS5's price or have lower base sales as people would have just paid the extra for the Pro SKU.

There are certainly good margins on PS5 Pro as it serves no purpose except to appeal to a fanbase - it's basically a chance to milk PS whales. It possibly could be $550 but then why bother making it? It's not attracting new users so ongoing software sales won't be any different to selling those same users a PS5. Sony would basically lose money on such a venture, designing new hardware to sell at cost without any need for that new hardware to produce content revenue.

As for reducing PS5's base price, what do Sony's financials tell us about hardware profitability? If the hardware has good margins, operating income should be notably up versus launch.AFAIK that's not happening.

Back