Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
the weird clock is probably because the clock is on a simple programmable PLL and it's a digital divider.
800 to 853.3333 is 15/16.
Yup, pretty curious. The good news about the upclock is that -aside from the fact it helps the performance- I am happy for (((interference))) and eastmen. I was wary of the rumour they were talking about but it turned out to be true! My hats off to them.

Loved your theory about the 53MHz upclock and the devil and so on. Kinda sounded to me like these crazy theories about the Gates of Hell -note the Gates thing, it's Bill Gates surname- :D

http://egomania.nu/gates.html

I am writing this while I am falling asleep. 666 is the number of all evil, but 853 sounds very odd. 853MHz... Simply strange...

Yeah I couldn't recall your username when I name dropped interference earlier. ;)

So I ask you, was this the upclock MS was supposedly surveying devs about? I'm a bit confused on the timing of this stuff. When was the survey goin around? The 53MHz boost sounds like it was something MS got entirely for free, so why survey ppl asking about an upclock of up to 100MHz if they presumably knew beforehand that they got this for free? Good PR with devs or something to make them feel as if they were being listened to?

My info comes from a friend at the end kf june. I believe I was the first to talk about a clock bump of around 75mhz. T
He was surveyed right about e3 .

As I said before they had a respin or something that came back very good and the 75mhz or there abkuts would cost them basicly nothing. I guess after testing enough this the magic number

I was also told 1.6ghz isnt the cpu clock speed. 1.8 is my guess

Looking at things on the up and up for microsoft's GPU Up clock, kudos to them for even considering it. The more they do for their console the less work the "Cloud" will need to do to impress.

My info comes from a friend at the end kf june. I believe I was the first to talk about a clock bump of around 75mhz. T

As I said before they had a respin or something that came back very good and the 75mhz or there abkuts would cost them basicly nothing. I guess after testing enough this the magic number

yes you were the first to mention it...thanks. :smile:

hope you are correct about the CPU upclock as well

Have you heard confirmation that there's 12 CUs on the gpu?

I dont. They weren't willing to stretch their extremely aggressive silence/heat goals for a little bit more performance. Only delivering an upclock if it didn't budge thermals/noise *at all*. Doesn't sit well with me. They likely left performance on the table. Maybe they could have easily got to say, 950, a meaningful increase, if they were willing to accept just a little more noise and heat.
It doesn't necessarily mean this. Microsoft would have had an engineering target of x Mhz performance at y decibels. I'm reading the statement that actual hardware that are able to hit x+z Mhz performance at y decibels.

Why guess 1.8GHz? Wouldn't it make more sense to be 1.706MHz to keep it as double that of the GPU?

A CPU bump is much more interesting to me. That would likely have a more tangible impact on games and the system as a whole.

Why nobody used asymmetric clocked cores?
For example one core at 1.8+ and the others at 1.6 to sort heavy single thread task

Why nobody used asymmetric clocked cores?
For example one core at 1.8+ and the others at 1.6 to sort heavy single thread task

Because nextgen games will all be multicore as all current gen console games are already multicore. They have to be in order to get any sort of performance on the X360.

Just thought it worth mentioning the issues Nintendo have with Renesas's collapse show why SRAM was an important choice of DRAM. A reliance on a particular foundry adds an element of risk (true perhaps for Renesas as well, relying on Wii U for a lot of its business).

What would they even use an extra 4 GBs on? More things could be multitasked but anything else? Seems like more of a marketing bullet point than a significant benefit in the real world.

Here's how I see it hypothetically:

7GB for games
4GB for apps, with 512MB per app, so last 8 apps always resident in memory for fast-switching (perhaps some apps could request 1GB).
2GB for OS
1GB reserved for future use.

The goal is great looking games (comparable with the PS4) and a system that ALWAYS feels responsive because it's not loading data. And when I say always, I mean ALWAYS. Want to go to the marketplace? 2 seconds away. Want to watch YouTube? 2 seconds away. Streaming Twitch? 2 seconds away. Open that app from 3 weeks ago? 2 seconds away.

The worst thing about the Xbox 360 and PS3 besides their power consumption for a simple thing like Netflix (which is absolutely atrocious 45W vs 2W max for Chromecast), is that everything takes so freaking long to happen.

Here's how I see it hypothetically:

7GB for games
4GB for apps, with 512MB per app, so last 8 apps always resident in memory for fast-switching (perhaps some apps could request 1GB).
2GB for OS
1GB reserved for future use.

The goal is great looking games (comparable with the PS4) and a system that ALWAYS feels responsive because it's not loading data. And when I say always, I mean ALWAYS. Want to go to the marketplace? 2 seconds away. Want to watch YouTube? 2 seconds away. Streaming Twitch? 2 seconds away. Open that app from 3 weeks ago? 2 seconds away.

The worst thing about the Xbox 360 and PS3 besides their power consumption for a simple thing like Netflix (which is absolutely atrocious 45W vs 2W max for Chromecast), is that everything takes so freaking long to happen.

7 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 14.

It currently has 8 GB of ram, we are adding 4GB not a extra 6GB :).

Perhaps they'll also add in virtual memory...

Perhaps they'll also add in virtual memory...
Yeah, why not swap out unused stuff if someone really wants to browse with 10+ open tabs on his XB1? If the game is locked and the basic components of the OS (so that switching is fast and the OS responsive) I would definitely accept some sacrifice on not visible tabs of a browser gobbling up loads of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back