Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people who believe it's possible (regardless if they think it will happen or not), is basing it on if the final dev XB1 has 12GB in it or not.
If final dev kit did, then no it probably wouldn't be a big change at all, as the board used in the retail box will more than likely be the same, just different components populated.

Pretty much this, yeah.

There was zero possibility of 8GB in the PS4 too. I'm not holding my breath, but don't insist things you don't know about are certain.

bikilian, it was a completely different scenario!
PS4, at that time, wasn't even announced!
Here we are talking about an already announced & presented system.
And the ONLY relevant tech info revealed are the 8GB of ram... We have also a picture of the interior board (Wired) that show the 8GB !

It seems to me that MS is now experimenting with the final hardware in order to achieve the maximum from the hardware they ALREADY have in theit hand! No more no less!
And so, we already know that X1 will have a GPU upclock, maybe increased esram btw, and maybe also a CPU clock higher than 1,6...
And, if we reflect upon it, maybe MS didn't announce these kind of data before in order to see the final hardware and see what they could achieve with it.

The rumor is born from the fact that the final development kits have 12GB...
But I believe that it was a common knowledge that development kits need more memory for the debbugging etc... especially on a system with a huge and heavy OS like X1, it is not correct anymore?

And then, regarding the Xbox360 famous memory increase (wanted by Epic ...), in reality, we have learned that it has happened not in the last few months but almost a year prior to launch of the system!

E3 has been 2 month ago, and the X1 much probably will launch in November, in about 3 month...

Do we realize what does it means to re-arrange the mass production, the manufacturing plant, the hardware, the quality tests, memory providers etc... in 3-5 month before the launch?

With all due respect, 12Gb to me sound as a fanboy dream, and a useless one, as X1 is already a very good system as it is!

To me the manufacturing process has already begun and in the next few days the first final retail version of X1 consolles will be produced...

And the ONLY relevant tech info revealed are the 8GB of ram... We have also a picture of the interior board (Wired) that show the 8GB !

This.

Going from 8 to 12 would require a redesing of the motherboard, it would be easier to jump from 8 to 16.

This.

Going from 8 to 12 would require a redesing of the motherboard, it would be easier to jump from 8 to 16.

This was my point too. I wouldn't say never but this does seem unlikely in the extreme, to say nothing of dubious usefulness anyway.

I've only seen pictures of the top of the board not the underneath.
If those are the pics your talking about then that doesn't prove that the board would need a redesign at all.

The final dev box, and retail box will more than likely use the same board. Why would they design, test and manufacture two different boards? (Regardless of memory populated)

Usefulness and necessity are a different issue than feasibility or if it's flat out possible or not.

This.

Actually, it wouldn't. It currently uses 16 4Gb chips. I saw an announcement go past just the other day announcing 6Gb chip manufacturing for DDR3. 16 6Gb chips == 12GB RAM.

And if they split it 8/4, then their marketing materials wouldn't have to change at all. It would have 8GB, for games.

Like I said before, I'm still expecting 8GB, as announced, and as planned when I was there. But expecting something and _knowing_ something are two different things.

Actually, it wouldn't. It currently uses 16 4Gb chips. I saw an announcement go past just the other day announcing 6Gb chip manufacturing for DDR3. 16 6Gb chips == 12GB RAM.

And if they split it 8/4, then their marketing materials wouldn't have to change at all. It would have 8GB, for games.

Like I said before, I'm still expecting 8GB, as announced, and as planned when I was there. But expecting something and _knowing_ something are two different things.

However, if they put 12GB in the box, the marketing materials would surely change though right? :)

I am sorry if my comment seems out of place.
Maybe it also due to the fact that english is not my primary idiom, and so my way of express things is not so much sophisticated...

But the concept is the same, at this point - 3 month since the launch -I am expecting 8 gb of memory for X1.

Any news regarding the CPU clock speed?

Anyway Micron doesn't have 6Gb chips so MS would have needed to change manufacturer 4 moths form release IF they wanted to use 6Gb density chips IF the chips were available.

Edit.
If the 6Gb in question are those form Samsung then they are multiple LPDDR3 chips stacked in a single package and are only for mobile phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't realise there was such a thing as 6Gb chips but that obviously makes things a lot more technically feasible if they are a real option for MS. Effectively the jump to 12GB would be just as easy as Sony's jump to 8 and cheaper in terms of percentage cost increase.

Although it would also be clearly of far more limited value.

This does raise the question of how the 12GB in dev kits is currently configured though since I assume that's not using 6Gb chips.

So, the change its possible but highly improbable, I think we all agree on that.

Just want to add that 8GB just for games seems like an overkill, PS4's system reservation pretty much confirm this. There is no really a point on having more RAM if that isn't going to improve the performance of your machine in a significant way.

So, the change its possible but highly improbable, I think we all agree on that.

Just want to add that 8GB just for games seems like an overkill, PS4's system reservation pretty much confirm this. There is no really a point on having more RAM if that isn't going to improve the performance of your machine in a significant way.

Crytek not agree with you:

"If they find ways to cheapen the cost to a degree they could triple or quadruple their memory. Just say, 'Hey we're going to have 32 gigs of memory'. That would be quite amazing because memory can do so many more techniques and tricks."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ible-hint-at-8gb-of-ram-in-next-gen-consoles/

Pray tell how the Xbox One would even write 1/4th of that per frame (at 30fps)?

I do not put in dispute the fact that 12GB of ram in a console could be a really really great thing. I believe some developers (crytek & epic..) could become crazy with it...

I simply put in discussion the reality and the feasibility of the addition of extra 4Gb of ram on a finished system design, 3-5 month before the actual launch. Impossible IMHO.

Games don't access all data and assets in RAM every frame, every second or even every minute. You need data in RAM for anything the player might do, or the game may need to do or render.

I do not put in dispute the fact that 12GB of ram in a console could be a really really great thing. I believe some developers (crytek & epic..) could become crazy with it...

I simply put in discussion the reality and the feasibility of the addition of extra 4Gb of ram on a finished system design, 3-5 month before the actual launch. Impossible IMHO.

It depends on when the decision was made. Particularly if it was in response to the competition, the decision could have been as early as February 21st. I'm not sure why we'd have to assume a 3-5 month lead time?

Why would it want to? Load up really high res textures to enable smooth zooming. If I recall correctly, Rage had a 4GB texture. Load the whole thing == zero loading time waits. You could save a ton in production costs by reducing the complexity of your engine, or generating the LOD textures on the fly from a single always resident megatexture, etc etc. I can think of hundreds of things to do with extra memory that don't require me to be able to access all of it every single frame. More dynamic audio, uncompressed audio samples, Generated giant lookup tables for AI and physics. Almost anything you could use CPU for can be accelerated by using more memory instead. Stop thinking of things in such a limited way.

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means...
Highly unlikely, sure. Stupid, I'll give you. Crazy, even. Extremely difficult and expensive, absolutely. Impossible? It's definitely possible.

I think 8GB for machines of these specs is really on that cusp.
Why? We can all agree with extremes like 512 MBs or 64 GBs being too little/much, but when it comes to the middle ground, what is the reasoning behind 8 GBs versus 12 GBs? Especially factoring in the significant OS reservation.

AFAIK, every console generation has been hampered by low RAM and devs being restricted, so a lot of leg-room would historically suggest it'll be used (because it was lamented at the launch of every other console). Now we've also talked in the past about how even 2GBs could be enough for games using virtual assets, so it's not like the other options aren't getting a good hearing. I'd be hard pushed to identify a sweet spot for the RAM amount, so I'd be interested to hear you reasoning as to why you think 8GBs is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back