Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really hoping for 75mhz but the 50mhz is what we get , then its what we get.

Every little bit helps . I wonder if its just the gpu upclocked or if other components like shape are increased. I dunno what those clocks are tied too.

Now it will be nice when we get the real cpu speed . I wonder if we will get the real cpu speed

I do have to wonder if this means the end of 12GB.

Because I dont see why they'd announce one performance improvement but not another.

Unless it is still under consideration I suppose.

Some more numbers, cause I love numbers...

The 80 Gflops the upclock adds is 37% of the 216 Gflops of an X360 GPU. So it's like adding over a third of a 360 GPU :p (probably a lot more once you look at efficiency, but that's irrelevant here). What this really shows is how huge the next-current gen gap is.

It's close to half a Wii U GPU if there's any truth to the 160 SP's in Wii U rumor (remember those are only clocked at 550).

768 shaders @853 is equivalent to 819 @800

So in essence 51 shaders worth of compute power were added.

It's worth noting this further calls into question all the rumors that MS was really struggling with yields, heat, etc.

We already recently learned from DF the super loud dev kits of a few months ago where due to a software error that caused the fans to run at 100% all the time.

And I guess, this technically nails down the GPU clock. Technically it was unknown before.

I agree with the person on GAF who said "slap a beefier heatsink/fan on there and give us 200 mhz" though :(

I do have to wonder if this means the end of 12GB.

Because I dont see why they'd announce one performance improvement but not another.

Unless it is still under consideration I suppose.

Some more numbers, cause I love numbers...

The 80 Gflops the upclock adds is 37% of the 216 Gflops of an X360 GPU. So it's like adding over a third of a 360 GPU :p (probably a lot more once you look at efficiency, but that's irrelevant here). What this really shows is how huge the next-current gen gap is.

It's close to half a Wii U GPU if there's any truth to the 160 SP's in Wii U rumor (remember those are only clocked at 550).

768 shaders @853 is equivalent to 819 @800

So in essence 51 shaders worth of compute power were added.

It's worth noting this further calls into question all the rumors that MS was really struggling with yields, heat, etc.

We already recently learned from DF the super loud dev kits of a few months ago where due to a software error that caused the fans to run at 100% all the time.

i think with this we can kill the yield rumors.

and no, i don't think that the 12GB rumor is dead yet.

could be spacing good news to keep positive headlines...or it could be just a strategic move. the longer you sit on additions/improvements the better when you have competition.

maybe it's both.

i think the upclock we got was probably a result of wanting long-lasting chips, silent running and meaningful performance increase.

xbox is looking more and more powerful, 12gb of ram would be icing on the cake. so this plus the esram upgrade wouldn't that increase the esram from 196GB/s to 209GB/s?

Fifty-three mhz?? What an arbitrary number. I think the better news is not necessarily the 80 GFLOPS or so, but the fact that chip must be stable and running cool for them to even consider this.

Fifty-three mhz?? What an arbitrary number. I think the better news is not necessarily the 80 GFLOPS or so, but the fact that chip must be stable and running cool for them to even consider this.

You often saw clocks like that on PC GPU's.

Particularly from Nvidia in the last few years I noticed. They really seemed to squeeze for every 1 mhz where AMD stuck more to 25 mhz increments that I recall.

Now they both have boost bins, so all kinds of oddball boost clocks are the norm.

I would take the DF ESRAM article with a grain of salt for now, but year 177 is pretty telling :LOL:

I see plenty of people that cite DF when it supports their mindset... not so much when it goes against thier perceived notion. interesting thing to watch over these internetz...

Myself I'm not sure that 53Mhz solves any problems... which is the only reason why I would be messing with the hardware at this point.

353 Mhz i can see... 53 why bother?

The weird 53 MHz number could just be what the PLL/clock generator can be programmed to. I don't know what they are using, but you can't always program arbitrary frequencies.

My guess is that this is the max frequency that they can hit that doesn't require a voltage bump.

Why does a clock bump indicate a problem that needs to be fixed, unless you're fanboy warring? Why does the clock bump have to be an even number divisible by ten? If you can increase the clock without harming the life of the component, why not do it? Developers would surely appreciate it, even if the performance difference is marginal. Honestly, this is a non-story. They're not going to risk anything in a clock increase. I'm sure these units are tested in thermal chambers with high-ambient temperatures to make sure the cooling can do it's job properly. At room temperature you should have nothing to worry about. People keep bringing up RROD. Lead-free manufacturing is not a mystery anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

By problem, I mean some offical performance target they had in mind, either in terms of flops or resolution. Is there some game that a dev is working on where they said if it only had 53 more MHZ we'd be able to match/exceed a our expectations? That solves a problem.

Im all for any free increase though.

By problem, I mean some offical performance target they had in mind, either in terms of flops or resolution. Is there some game that a dev is working on where they said if it only had 53 more MHZ we'd be able to match/exceed a our expectations? That solves a problem.

Im all for any free increase though.

Honestly, what dev is not going to ask for more? How often do developers, pre-launch, say that they're good with what they've got and don't bother trying to find any performance improvements?

the weird clock is probably because the clock is on a simple programmable PLL and it's a digital divider.
800 to 853.3333 is 15/16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back