Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think 4TF was ever the target , I always heard a higher performance rating. But I could be wrong

I heard 4TF however the RDNA2 in it is running like the 6TF GCN Xbox One X .. so it should be able to do 1440p and 60fps. At least that is the impression I got of the leaks.

I thought that's what you meant by $200, $400, $500. What are the three prices for?
no I believe xos and xox will be gone by holiday or after holiday depending on left over stock.

I believe MS will have a digital only lockheart , a digital only xbox series x and a optical edition of series x

game pass will be included for x amount of time. If you want physical discs you'd buy a console with the physical disc. Disc is no longer default , its no longer the norm. 80% of sales are digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Reckon 1S and 1Sad will be around for couple years yet. For the ultra low end/price.
Will still be supported with games for a while yet. There's usually a pretty decent long tail to previous gen consoles.
Don't see that changing this gen, even with things like xcloud.

1X EOL

Friendly reminder to keep the thread on topic by keeping it focused on Microsoft.

That's why I think Lockheart is a key device in their strategy. Its low cost gateway that they can control to make sure the hardware can handle their new compression techniques they will employee with xcloud over the next few years. The plan for Lockheart is to get into price categories they were never able to hit before and I believe based on listening between the lines that they expect lockheart to at some point make it down to fire tv size . Also the size of the first lockheart will surprise everyone.
Amazing vision of gaming.

There are still some details I don't fully understand.
Do you mention Lockhart console with

"$199 retail price"
"5 ~ 6TF GPU and high-speed SSD"
"Fire tv size"

The Fire TV size is 115 × 115 × 17.5 mm. If Lockhart can fit the size with 3.6+ GHz Zen2 and 5TF GPU I can't imagine
how this thing to be cooled, and the BOM would be $300+.

Instead that reminds me another console. That is a "streaming only" box.

"Xcloud console"
"Fire tv size"

Is there another sku besides lockhart, which is for Xcloud only? Since it is a streaming box, fast SSD and high-performance APU
are not required and the price can be cheaper.

Amazing vision of gaming.

There are still some details I don't fully understand.
Do you mention Lockhart console with

"$199 retail price"
"5 ~ 6TF GPU and high-speed SSD"
"Fire tv size"

The Fire TV size is 115 × 115 × 17.5 mm. If Lockhart can fit the size with 3.6+ GHz Zen2 and 5TF GPU I can't imagine
how this thing to be cooled, and the BOM would be $300+.

Instead that reminds me another console. That is a "streaming only" box.

"Xcloud console"
"Fire tv size"

Is there another sku besides lockhart, which is for Xcloud only? Since it is a streaming box, fast SSD and high-performance APU
are not required and the price can be cheaper.

Lockheart price depends on xsx pricing which in large part depends on ps5 pricing. MS wants to have the most powerful console while being priced as low as or lower than its competition. Lockheart is supposed to be an entry level next gen system. They want something on the market that addresses these goals
  1. service 1080p tv owners while offering next gen graphics
  2. offer an easy upgrade path for xbox one /s ps4 base owners who bought the console for $200-$300 and want next gen graphics but not the price tag
  3. a strong platform for xcloud / game pass
  4. a good secondary unit in peoples homes to complement the xsx

As for fire tv size that is the ultimate goal as I said. It wont be that size at launch although it will still be small for a console. They want a piece of technology that can eventually fit multiple form factors and they want something that when you go to the store and want to get little jimmy or suzzie a gaming system or media device for their tv you say well they sure like playing on the family rooms xbox series x , why don't I get them lockheart and oh look its much smaller and cheaper and they can use this for Netflix and hulu and Disney plus . Then they go and buy that.

If they put out a streaming only box it would be much cheaper like fire stick pricing off the bat.

Lockheart price depends on xsx pricing which in large part depends on ps5 pricing. MS wants to have the most powerful console while being priced as low as or lower than its competition. Lockheart is supposed to be an entry level next gen system. They want something on the market that addresses these goals
  1. service 1080p tv owners while offering next gen graphics
  2. offer an easy upgrade path for xbox one /s ps4 base owners who bought the console for $200-$300 and want next gen graphics but not the price tag
  3. a strong platform for xcloud / game pass
  4. a good secondary unit in peoples homes to complement the xsx

As for fire tv size that is the ultimate goal as I said. It wont be that size at launch although it will still be small for a console. They want a piece of technology that can eventually fit multiple form factors and they want something that when you go to the store and want to get little jimmy or suzzie a gaming system or media device for their tv you say well they sure like playing on the family rooms xbox series x , why don't I get them lockheart and oh look its much smaller and cheaper and they can use this for Netflix and hulu and Disney plus . Then they go and buy that.

If they put out a streaming only box it would be much cheaper like fire stick pricing off the bat.
This makes me wonder about japan. The culture is more appreciative of a small form factor, then the rest of the world. Also if you don't have a 4K TV, you would still get some benefit from it being able to run the latest games at a lower resolution. If it had the right level of support in Japan, it could make a dent there. The PS5 no disc version is still pretty huge by comparison if Lockheart is half the height of XSX. Previously, I never considered it, but i could see getting this for my Daughter and Brother as gifts, since they aren't as concerned about 4K as I am. Man i really want to see what they have prepared.

when it's too good to be true, it's likely not. I'm staying on the conservative side of things. I would love to be proven wrong, you can shove it in my face, all the way to my browser to the pre-order page.

Even at 499 it's cheap for what hardware you get. I don't see MS eating 100 dollars per console sold though, even with MS's resources, that could be fatal for their company?

I would prefer $499. $399 sets expectations that high end consoles like Xsx and PS5 should be that cheap, thus giving manufacturers less room on BOM going foward.

Even at 499 it's cheap for what hardware you get. I don't see MS eating 100 dollars per console sold though, even with MS's resources, that could be fatal for their company?
Not fatal. Although they could be really aggressive with pricing by saying. Sign up for 2 years of Gamepass, and get XSX for the low price of BLAMO. Like phone plans.

At any iteration the gospel is that ms has money to burn so, to reward us of our awesomeness, they will slash the price, win the console war, and lead us while brandishing a burning sword.
Until now it never happened.
We must have more faith.

At any iteration the gospel is that ms has money to burn so, to reward us of our awesomeness, they will slash the price, win the console war, and lead us while brandishing a burning sword.
Until now it never happened.
We must have more faith.
its not about burning money. Its about taking a small loss to get people onto never ending cloud subscriptions. A $50 one time loss could lead to years or $25 a month subscriptions and then there is a % that buy dlc and games through game pass discounts after playing them.

That's why MS may be willing to price lower up front

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back