Xbox Live Fall update (360)

dashboardupdateachievement.png

I didn't get that achievement :cry: I had to restart my 360 as there were little graphical anomalies on the menus, thankfully they went after a restart.

I also cant get 1080p to work either, it just goes all fuzzy then goes blank. After that my monitor reports component doesn't support that display setting. I have a 2405 and I'm sure it supports 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

I also cant get 1080p to work either, it just goes all fuzzy then goes blank. After that my monitor reports component doesn't support that display setting. I have a 2405 and I'm sure it supports 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

The 2405 doesn't support 1080p over component, so that's the problem. You'll probably want to pick up the VGA adapter.

Woops

Problems solved?

The balanced individuals of the Internet were in uproar yesterday: some of them were downloading the new Xbox 360 autumn update and discovering that it broke their console completely.

Well, Microsoft's finally admitted that it's aware of the problem, although it describes the number of people affected as "very small". "We're working with each customer individually to resolve any problems. Any Xbox 360 customers who have any issues with their console should contact the customer service team on 0800 587 1102," a UK statement read, with US and Canadian owners advised to call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69453

[Edit: At about 6:30 PM PST, I got word that they replaced the installation code that was causing the majority of the issues that were reported. If you've already sucessfully installed the software, you shouldn't have any problems going forward. If you have any problems with the update, please call your local support line (find it at www.xbox.com/support).]

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/11/01/538613.aspx

I didn't get that achievement :cry: I had to restart my 360 as there were little graphical anomalies on the menus, thankfully they went after a restart.

If you're using VGA, then you'll be interested to hear that Krevnik at www.avsforum.com actually measured the signal, and the 360 provides a horizontal frequency of 66.9Khz, where many TVs expect 67.5 (the famous Sony XBR2 series, for instance). This 500-600Hz difference is probably too much for a number of TVs, including yours.

EDIT: This apparently has to do with two different standards, VESA and EIA, which list 66.6 and 67.5Khz as standard respectively ...

Just throwing some info in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem at first, as well. For me, the fix was to keep WMP11 running on the host PC. Seems there is some underlying catalog that wasn't being updated until WMP11 was running. Never had this problem with WMC under Media Center. Not a big deal, though. I much prefer accessing video without having to launch Media Center on the 360.
I'm using WMC, not WMP11 (got the runtime codecs installed and use Media Player Classic for playback, WMP is just too much of a resource hog IMO), and its active in the background all the time to stream content, so that's not the problem. There's just some types of wmv files that won't show up. As for those that won't play, I'm pretty sure by now that's because of the codecs they use. The 360 doesn't seem to play .wmvs that use the MS mpeg4 condec. If I encode with regular WMV9 or WMV8, everything's fine.

I have spent the past days trying to find good and easy ways to convert my .avis to .wmv and I gotta say, it can be quite messy! I've tried almost a dozen tools that claim to do the job, yet none of them has all the features, flexibility or stability I am looking for. It's really quite frustrating.

Those than can batch-reencode often don't let me define custom settings for resolution and bitrate, others encode to wmv, but only with the mpeg4 codec (which, as I stated above, the 360 doesn't seem to play), some take hours to do a job that should only take 15 minutes, etc...

The chinese opensource project MediaCoder offers WMV support since a recent update, but its still touchy as hell and I haven't been able to get its wmv output working properly (if I get it to output a wmv at all, it only creates an empty container file 1/10th the size of the target). I had great hopes for GX::Transcoder, but its wmv conversion seems to be limited to a set of presets that override any custom settings I apply regarding resolution and compression rates. So far WinAVI seems like the easiest tool, though I'm not happ with the choice of quality options it offers me either, plus its not free. I'm open to suggestions...

You did see my 'wink' right?

Right?

I did, Just didn't get through the update unscathed, maybe a 100 point achievement :smile:

And will find out if the VGA works or not, will have one soon, whether its worth it or not is the main question though.

Why don't you just use windows media encoder? That's what Transcode360 uses to transcode nearly every video format there is.
Because its an unstable mess and won't work properly over 50% of the time. At least the GUI version. It won't even open/display any of the avis I am experimenting with, despite them working fine in any other tool or player I tried. The way things are going, I'm probably gonna end up encoding this stuff by hand through wmenc.exe and command line options, if I could only find some decent documentation...

Because its an unstable mess and won't work properly over 50% of the time. At least the GUI version. It won't even open/display any of the avis I am experimenting with, despite them working fine in any other tool or player I tried. The way things are going, I'm probably gonna end up encoding this stuff by hand through wmenc.exe and command line options, if I could only find some decent documentation...

Transcode360 has never failed to play any of my files. It does require three or four more button clicks in Media Center on the 360. When a file is highlighted one must either hit 'info' on their remote or 'x' on the 360 controller, go to More... and select Transcode360. While I wish it were as seamless as hdtvpump, it gets the job done.

Transcode360 has never failed to play any of my files. It does require three or four more button clicks in Media Center on the 360. When a file is highlighted one must either hit 'info' on their remote or 'x' on the 360 controller, go to More... and select Transcode360. While I wish it were as seamless as hdtvpump, it gets the job done.

Ya just use transcode, you're looking at maybe 10seconds to start a file.

As for MCEncoder, have you tried using the batch conversion? I think there's a way to have it run as abackground service as well.

Huh? Transcode360 is a plugin for XP MCE, AFAIK there's no way for me to run it on a regular XP SP2, there's simply no plugin architexture for it to "plug into", at least that's what the developer of transcode 360 says on his website ...

I am having a bit of a problem with Transcode360 as I cannot get the sound and the video to sync properly in some files. Anyone have an ideas on fixes? I am currently thinking of just spending the time to convert my movies to WMV 9 and then not worry about Transcode360 at all.

Well my 360 died a couple of days ago, was getting the red ring of death and error code 0102 :mad:

Before that I was getting freezing in games after a few minutes of playing, though this only just started after the update.

Anyway, I went through all the motions, unplugging everything, harddrive etc then plugging them all back in. I must have restarted the thing about 50 times.

Id almost given up on it but the I wondered about the error code, because my xbox was standing up in gives 3 lights showing up from top left to bottom right. So I wondered what it would show flat down, the lights actually change so there in the same order, from top left to bottom right. Neat little feature, so just for the sake of it I was spinning the 360 around to see it changed on all sides. I can tell you it doesnt, only changes for standing up stright and flat on one side.

After all this fun I decided to restart it again, and guess what, it works :LOL: , and it works perfectly, hasnt frozen yet lol. So the cure for freezing xbox is just to give it a little spin :devilish:

Back