Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

For instance, I'm playing DQ XI (almost done) and it's a very good game, but it really didn't need to be 60 hours long. They added a ridiculous amount of filler to pad the game IMO for retail release.

Haven't played DQ XI, so don't take this as necessarily addressing DQ XI.

However, for JRPGs, quite often fan service is mistaken for filler. So, for example, in FFXIV which I do have a lot of experience with there is an absolute metric ton of stuff that I've seen some refer to filler. However, almost all of it is directly tied to fan service targeted at people that played any of the previously released Final Fantasy game. You see this a lot in even the single player FF games.

I'm fairly certain they also do that in the DQ games as they have a long history as well many players who have played many of the previous entries in the series. That said, not having played them myself, I couldn't begin to speculate on how much is filler and how much is fan service (which for people who didn't play all of the previous games would come across as filler).

Even something as simple as "kill X number of rats" or other creatures is a bit of fan service to people who have played RPGs in the past. It's also filler in that case because it has no meaningful fan service other than as a nod to previous RPGs having kill X creatures quests. :p

Regards,
SB

Noted. I'm just saying that not everything needs to be a $70 60-hour epic and GP allows smaller sized AAA-budget titles to be viable. For instance, Ori 2 was 25 hours for me or something and I'm glad it wasn't 60 hours just so they could sell it for $70.

AC titles are a good example of what I'm talking about - big for the sake of being big. I'm not big on grind.

What I'm hoping to see less of in games is filler. I think GP enables that more. You don't need to add tons of filler content to games to justify the $70 price tag, just put whatever makes sense into the game and put it on GP.

For instance, I'm playing DQ XI (almost done) and it's a very good game, but it really didn't need to be 60 hours long. They added a ridiculous amount of filler to pad the game IMO for retail release.

Hellblade is a good example of a nice 10 hour focused experience that doesn't have any filler. People get mad when they pay $60 for something like that, but throw it on GP and it's fine.

In the last 12 months I played and completed Hellblade, Call of the Sea, The Medium, Ori 2, Battletoads, and What Remains of Edith Finch? in less time than I've spent on DQ XI because those games don't have any padding.

Sure, it's good to have these more involved games like FH5, Halo I, and Witcher 3 etc..., but not everything needs to be a sprawling epic. I hope GP makes that happen more.
I don’t understand the hate on a £50/60 game that lasts 10-15 hours and gives you a good interactive experience (ie most SP story driven linear games).

For me if you enjoy the story, genre or gameplay then it’s no different to going to the cinema a few times.

This is what makes physical and GP games so good, I can try something and sell it or move on when done (be that completed or don’t like).

I don’t understand the hate on a £50/60 game that lasts 10-15 hours and gives you a good interactive experience (ie most SP story driven linear games).

For me if you enjoy the story, genre or gameplay then it’s no different to going to the cinema a few times.

This is what makes physical and GP games so good, I can try something and sell it or move on when done (be that completed or don’t like).

Often times games are much cheaper on per hour basis than the movies. Esp when you add in food and other items.

By me its $15 a movie ticket so considering a 2 hour movie its $7.50 an hour. a $60 game at 10 hours would be $6 an hour. 15 hour game would be $4 an hour

Streaming on consoles is available now, according to YouTube. Won't have chance to try it until later.

I have a few hours playing via Edge on the XSS, which aside from a few controller switching niggles was a fun experience.

Available-Today_Coming-Soon_1.4.2022.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/04/coming-soon-to-xbox-game-pass-january-2022/

Coming Soon to Xbox Game Pass: Mass Effect Legendary Edition, The Anacrusis (Game Preview), Spelunky 2, and More

It's quite clear to me that something like GamePass is the future of gaming (just like music and film/spotify, netflix etc). Right now single AAA's for 80 dollars a piece do still extremely well, esp in Sony's ecosystem. But i could see that fading away or blending into a service like gamepass with the option to play over cloud, local over different machines/sku's.

It's quite clear to me that something like GamePass is the future of gaming (just like music and film/spotify, netflix etc).

I agree, but it feels like a very distant future. GamePass - like music and movies streaming service - subscriber bases are a smaller fraction compared the audience of people buying content to 'own' content, whether physically on round things or digitally so how long will this future take to arrive for everybody?

Spotify is easily the largest music subscription service and in the second half of 2021 had 170m global subscribers. That's less than a quarter of the population of Europe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a GamePass subscription myself.

I agree, but it feels like a very distant future. GamePass - like music and movies streaming service - subscriber bases are a smaller fraction compared the audience of people buying content to 'own' content, whether physically on round things or digitally so how long will this future take to arrive for everybody?

Spotify is easily the largest music subscription service and in the second half of 2021 had 170m global subscribers. That's less than a quarter of the population of Europe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a GamePass subscription myself.

I am not sure about Spotify since I don't use it but things like Netflix which only has 200m subscribers are basically family plans. My netflix plan is $18 a month and can allow 4 streams at once. So I don't think comparing it to a population number would really make much sense. More so it doesn't matter if your in the same house or not. My parents use my netflix account , my sister and her husband and kids use mine also. We have hulu (black friday deal for $1 a month) and they along with my wife's two brothers and their kids also use that. So there is a lot of sharing. But on the flip side there are things we subscribe too that we never would have because there was just two few things worth paying for. So something like hulu wasn't something we had planned on until it was $12 for the year.

Game pass is growing quickly. more than likely its because other subscriptions have found success and people are now more used to them. But companies themselves love subscriptions because its a continued revenue stream.

Look at it this way. Halo Infinite got great reviews and people bought it aside from having it on game pass. But what if Halo Infinite 2 tanked reviews ? It could sell a lot worse but the people who have game pass will still be subscribe to game pass waiting on what is after that game. So Ms will still make money

I am not sure about Spotify since I don't use it but things like Netflix which only has 200m subscribers are basically family plans.
There are Spotify family plans but if they make up a very small number of their subscriptions. Netflix are notoriously lax on enforcing their terms of service for their accounts, which you freely admit to breaking. I'm not judging you but this is the reason I didn't use Netflix.

If the same is true for GamePass and there is widespread use of people using GamePass accounts (and the ToS are quite favourable for genuine families), this means companies are losing both subscription revenue and sales revenue. Is this sustainable in the long-term?

If the same is true for GamePass and there is widespread use of people using GamePass accounts (and the ToS are quite favourable for genuine families)

It likely happens less than the normal Game Sharing setup on PlayStation or Xbox, where you set your "home" console to your friends/family member so they get the benefits you pay for (games purchased in Game Share setup), and vice-versa.

Back