XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Xbox 360 is so dead in Japan. Why should it sell well?

I think the few people who buy it, are making a huge mistake. Why you ask. I was just recently in Japan, and going into any typical video store showed hundreds of PS2 available, and a handful of Xbox games. One place I even counted FIVE!!! Xbox games available. I told my friend, who lives in Japan, that there are five games for the Xbox in this particular store, and he said, "That many.". Why spend money on a console that's going to get so little support. It's a waste of money. Each person who buys the Xbox 360 is buying the sequel to a massively failed console.

Every store you go into, it's Sony land, and RGP land. Tons of support from Japanese publishers. Very little presence there from Western developers.

At the Tokyo Game Show I saw God of War, an incredible game from Sony of America, and it's being published in Japan by Capcom, and there were 3 people playing the game at TGS, while each RPG at Sony's booth had hundreds of people waiting to play. Sony does not even publish GOW, their own game in their home country, because they know it will not appeal to Japanese tastes.

Those small handful of Japanese RPG's that MS is paying for, is simply not enough. Those games will sell poorly because the installed base will be small, and then it's game over trying to appeal to Japanese tastes, because everyone and his dog by that time will have the PS3, and which everyone knows will have tons of games, especially RPG's. This will drive even more Japanese developer support. It's a big snowball, that MS can't do anything to stop.

I predict Xbox 360 will sell less than the current Xbox in Japan.

Funny how the Xbox 360 is white, as it will be a white elephant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking optimisticly: If this was the launch it can only get better from here, we have price cuts and a lot of games that appeals to the Japanese crowd on the way and we know it is the games that sells systems. So how long do we have to wait for official numbers from Japan?

dubyateeeff said:
Speaking optimisticly: If this was the launch it can only get better from here, we have price cuts and a lot of games that appeals to the Japanese crowd on the way and we know it is the games that sells systems. So how long do we have to wait for official numbers from Japan?

No actually it can get worse. It did with the Xbox. Not saying it will this time, but your quote is not true.

I love how people just ignore games. Like game make ABSOLUTLEY no difference right?

XBOX never even had close to this quality of support in year 1, of course it's gonna sell pretty good in japan because it's gonna have some kick-ass games in japan it's as simple as that.

Not selling well at launch? Surprise surprise! Enchant Arm got delayed, Chromehounds got delayed, DOA4 got delayed, there's not even a single good japanese game in the lineup besudes maybe RR6.

Before we start declaring it dead lets use our heads maybe? A little common sense may be in order? Most launch games slipped, and none of the really good japanese games come out until next year. 360 will do fine, there's just to many GOOD games coming out for it not too, it's as simple as that.

mckmas8808 said:
No actually it can get worse. It did with the Xbox. Not saying it will this time, but your quote is not true.

Actually i think it could go both ways, but in xbox360's defence; i think DOA and some RPG's that are coming later should get some more people buying the console. Or i could be wrong and everybody will just wait for the ps3, whenever it will launch. o_O

scooby_dooby said:
Before we start declaring it dead lets use our heads maybe? A little common sense may be in order? Most launch games slipped, and none of the really good japanese games come out until next year. 360 will do fine, there's just to many GOOD games coming out for it not too, it's as simple as that.

As matter of fact, everything I stated was from what I observed in Japan, and I am using my head in giving my opinion. Be a man and accept it as such, and don't insult us, just because we don't agree with you.

"to many GOOD games" - in your eyes only. A see a small handful of games, that simply will not make a difference. I remember the Xbox launch quite clearly, and MS game studios in Japan produced a string of games that got poor reviews. You're making the assumption that if Microsoft throws money at a Japanese development team, it will be a good game.

aldo said:
MS informed us how they learned from the Xbox that they needed more Japanese titles for the Xbox360. When they prepare for the release of the Xbox720 they will note how they learned from the X360 that those titles need to be AVAILABLE at launch. I wonder what lesson they will have learned by the time they launch the Xbox1080.

-aldo

what the hell, they had some really good launch title lined up but they got delayed. What do you want them to do? Force the game out? Then everyone would piss and moan about MS forcing developers' hand.

Chromehounds, N3, Enchant Arm, DOA4, would made an excellent 4-title punch for japan. Not one of these titles made launch day. MS fault? Maybe a little, but it's not like they didn't try, sometime shit happens.

The games will still come out, and will be even better than if they had been forced at launch. Blur Dragon is dropping next spring, there are only a handful of PS3 games more anticipated than Blue Dragon, that will sell crazy systems.

At the same time N3 & Chromehounds will be selling systems, not to mention enchant arm that will also drop early next year. Then Lost Odyssey drops later in 06. With some great western RPG's bringing up the wings, and Halo 3 and NG2.

THe doom and gloom is uncalled for, the games lineup stands on it's own, is very good, the launch line-up sucks, but launch line-ups never mean shit.

Edge said:
As matter of fact, everything I stated was from what I observed in Japan, and I am using my head in giving my opinion. Be a man and accept it as such, and don't insult us, just because we don't agree with you.

"to many GOOD games" - in your eyes only. A see a small handful of games, that simply will not make a difference. I remember the Xbox launch quite clearly, and MS game studios in Japan produced a string of games that got poor reviews. You're making the assumption that if Microsoft throws money at a Japanese development team, it will be a good game.

I don't care if you walked into stores in Japan. Should I now accept your opinion as more qualified? Your opinion is completely twisted and biased anyways edge, that much is clear.

"You're making the assumption"
WRONG.

Did I put BlueDragon #12th most wanted game in japan? Did I make hundreds of gamers line up for Chromehounds and N3 at TGS? From software is an excellent developer and there's no reason to believe Enchant Arm won't be pretty kick-ass. Did I make capcom created 2 exclusive 360 titles, AND bring RE 5 multi-platform?

I'm not assuming shit, you're just in denial and you like to pretend these titles are comparable to shitty year-one titles in 2001. Nopt even close man. THese are good quality titles I really could care less if you admit it or not, keep pretending.

scooby_dooby said:
I love how people just ignore games. Like game make ABSOLUTLEY no difference right?
You would have a point if WonderSwan+FF had a chance against Nintendo+Gameboy over in Japan.

BTW, FF has a even bigger name than any of the games listed up above. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
what the hell, they had some really good launch title lined up but they got delayed. What do you want them to do? Force the game out? Then everyone would piss and moan about MS forcing developers' hand.

Chromehounds, N3, Enchant Arm, DOA4, would made an excellent 4-title punch for japan. Not one of these titles made launch day. MS fault? Maybe a little, but it's not like they didn't try, sometime shit happens.

The games will still come out, and will be even better than if they had been forced at launch. Blur Dragon is dropping next spring, there are only a handful of PS3 games more anticipated than Blue Dragon, that will sell crazy systems.

At the same time N3 & Chromehounds will be selling systems, not to mention enchant arm that will also drop early next year. Then Lost Odyssey drops later in 06. With some great western RPG's bringing up the wings, and Halo 3 and NG2.

THe doom and gloom is uncalled for, the games lineup stands on it's own, is very good, the launch line-up sucks, but launch line-ups never mean shit.

After all this talking you are still not giving Nintendo their due credit. What is good to you for the 360 in Japan? Maybe your good and my good are two different things.

> "These are good quality titles I really could care less if you admit it or not, keep pretending."

Can I have the review scores of all those games please? Thanks.

> "Did I put BlueDragon #12th most wanted game in japan?"

Nice. You just forgot to point out, that's the ONLY game in the top twenty most wanted that is for the Xbox 360 in Japan. Just that alone should tell everyone where the Xbox 360 is going in Japan. Thanks for providing that info.

BTOA said:
You would have a point if WonderSwan+FF had a chance against Nintendo+Gameboy over in Japan.

BTW, FF has a even bigger name than any of the games listed up above. ;)

And Rogue Galaxy. It sold 150,000 units one the first day!!! Published by Sony too right? Don't see this game coming out for the 360 in a few years.

lol, the Japan launch is so miserable. Still, I would have thought you'd get people buying 20 of them, then selling them to North Americans for $1000 a piece. Big profits there!

Edge said:
> "These are good quality titles I really could care less if you admit it or not, keep pretending."

Nice. You just forgot to point out, that's the ONLY game in the top twenty most wanted that is for the Xbox 360 in Japan. Just that alone should tell everyone where the Xbox 360 is going in Japan. Thanks for providing that info.

DOA4 has been in the top 20 aswell.

Ok I see a lot of stuff indicating 360 had a miserable Japanese launch, but a lot of it seems to focus on the lack of lines on launch morning. Is there anything more 'solid' yet? Lack of lines to me doesn't mean too much. Though I don't think 360's anything of a 'hit' over Japan way, at the same time I'm not ready to write it off as a launch day failure either. Is there nothing solid info-wise? Like, launch day retrospectives/numbers, not day of launch predictions and opinions from 11am yesterday morning in Japan.

xbdestroya said:
Ok I see a lot of stuff indicating 360 had a miserable Japanese launch, but a lot of it seems to focus on the lack of lines on launch morning. Is there anything more 'solid' yet? Lack of lines to me doesn't mean too much. Though I don't think 360's anything of a 'hit' over Japan way, at the same time I'm not ready to write it off as a launch day failure either. Is there nothing solid info-wise? Like, launch day retrospectives/numbers, not day of launch predictions and opinions from 11am yesterday morning in Japan.
Good post indeed, some of you guys need to chill out lol. I'm interested in the facts as well. Anyone have any numbers?

mckmas8808 said:
Nope probably in a couple of days though.
True.

I was also wondering, anybody have a list of the launch titles the X-Box1 debuted in Japan with? (i guess i should stop being so lazy and look for myself haha)

edit:
found it lol
Twelve titles are scheduled for the Japanese launch. They are Double Steal (Wreckless in the US), Genma Onimusha, Nobunaga's Ambition, Air Force Delta II, Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Hyper Sports Winter 2002, ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding 2002, Jet Grind Radio Future, Dead or Alive 3, Tenku: Freestyle Snowboarding (Amped in the US), Nezmix, and Project Gotham.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/projectgothamracing/news.html?sid=2838350

12 titles vs 6? the xbox1 titles seemed more japanese oriented also, no?

Edge said:

LOL. You're arguments are so half baked it's funny.

There are actually more 360 games in that list than PS3. "Just that alone should tell everyone where the PS3 is going in Japan...blah blah blah blah"

http://www.jeux-france.com/news12173_famitsu-most-wanted-05-08-11-08-.html
1. Final Fantasy XII (PS2, Square Enix)
2. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, Square Enix)
3. Resident Evil 4 (PS2, Capcom)
4. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3, Konami)
5. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2, Sony)
6. Mother 3 (GBA, Nintendo)
7. Resident Evil 5 (PS3, Capcom)
8. The Legend of Zelda (GC, Nintendo)
9. Rogue Galaxy (PS2, Sony)
10. Animal Crossing DS (NDS, Nintendo)
11. Blue Dragon (Xbox 360, Microsoft)
12. Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360, Tecmo)
13. Kimi Kiss (PS2, Enterbrain)
14. Soul Calibur III (PS2, Namco)
15. Devil Summoner : Kuzunoha Raidou (PS2, Atlus)
16. Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
17. Beat Down : Fist of Vengeance (PS2, Capcom)
18. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney (NDS, Capcom)
19. Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi (PS2, Bandai)
20. Monster Hunter 2 (PS2, Capcom)

scooby_dooby said:
Halo is nothing in Japan, and Ninja Gaiden is a title tailored for Western markets with mediocre sales in Japan when compared with other Tecmo Xbox games.

What I'm curious about Japanese Xbox 360 game developers is which market they have in mind. Microsoft surely want to sell Xbox 360 consoles in Japan so want Japanese developers to make games that cater to Japanese tastes. OTOH, Japanese developers know Xbox 360 will sell well in the West and the Japanese market is saturated except for mobile space. When they design Xbox 360 exclusive games they will want to make games that can sell and advertise their brands in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back