XBox 360 launched in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
jvd said:
To bad its not a sound bite , i love making fun of her fake british acent

This is the picture of Madonna's Xbox 360 freezing up.

65990154_404caecfaa.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
Plain and simple guys a new next-gen console should sell itself. It's not looking good so far.
I don't think that's true, since if that were the case then the original Xbox should be a major success in Japan and the PSP should be a failure in NA. Here in the States I could post very similar pictures of what I had to go through to get a PSP launch day.

A launch does not make a system. The Xbox 360 is sold out here in NA and in Europe, but it could still be a failure a year from now.

.Sis

Sis said:
I don't think that's true, since if that were the case then the original Xbox should be a major success in Japan and the PSP should be a failure in NA. Here in the States I could post very similar pictures of what I had to go through to get a PSP launch day.

A launch does not make a system. The Xbox 360 is sold out here in NA and in Europe, but it could still be a failure a year from now.

.Sis

The PSP in NA is different. They had more supply than they needed. And they seemed to do it on purpose.

mckmas8808 said:
The PSP in NA is different. They had more supply than they needed. And they seemed to do it on purpose.

I don't know about that - I'm pretty sure Sony would have liked to sell out initially. Afterall it was part of the premise for delaying the UK/Europe launch.

Couldn't one just say then that the 360 in Japan also then just had 'more supply than they needed?'

What we need is some hard sales figures, until then we're just kind of spinning our wheels.

expletive said:
I would agree in almost all cases with the exception of the Xbox in Japan. Seeing how poorly the first one did after a bunch of games had already been released, what makes you think that this console would sell with 6 very average ones? And for the record, i do agree this is not what MS had wanted for their launch but once NNN, DOA4 and eA were pushed back, i think this was expected.

The question is: would it make a difference if the release, of the games, wasn't delayed?

Why wouldn't the gamers buy the 360 on day one in order to secure their chances to play those games? I'm sure they know those games will be released. So what's stopping them from purchasing the system knowing those titles will be released soon.

I think from that blog linked a few posts ago pretty much describes it. People just simply don't care. They'll wait in line for figureines but not the 360. It would be interesting to see how this unfolds.

xbdestroya said:
I don't know about that - I'm pretty sure Sony would have liked to sell out initially. Afterall it was part of the premise for delaying the UK/Europe launch.

Couldn't one just say then that the 360 in Japan also then just had 'more supply than they needed?'

What we need is some hard sales figures, until then we're just kind of spinning our wheels.

Well what I'm saying is we should not compare this Japan 360 launch to the NA PSP launch period. And yes waiting for sales numbers will help.

Joe DeFuria said:
Of course not...if something doesn't support your argument...ignore it.

Smarten up people. Joey D. how can we compare the Japan launch of the 360 to the NA launch of the PSP without sales figures? Explain that for me please.

mckmas8808 said:
Smarten up people. Joey D. how can we compare the Japan launch of the 360 to the NA launch of the PSP without sales figures? Explain that for me please.
I'm not even sure it's about sales figures, though obviously a certain lower end number (like single digits) would not bode well.

The bottom line is you have a system that launched with a bunch of FPS games and a single mediocre racer. Granted, if the PS3 launched with an identical lineup, it'd probably be a sell out. However, the PS3 doesn't have to prove anything with the gamers, the Xbox 360 does.

.Sis

Sis said:
I'm not even sure it's about sales figures, though obviously a certain lower end number (like single digits) would not bode well.

The bottom line is you have a system that launched with a bunch of FPS games and a single mediocre racer. Granted, if the PS3 launched with an identical lineup, it'd probably be a sell out. However, the PS3 doesn't have to prove anything with the gamers, the Xbox 360 does.

.Sis

Actually it is about sales figures. But I agree with your bottom line quote

Ms should buy squarenix if they want to be succesfull in Japan,there's no other way.

Oh well it's a good thing that the Japanese market is shrinking every year and most Japanese software companies are looking to expand their presense in the U.S market.

mckmas8808 said:
Actually it is about sales figures. But I agree with your bottom line quote
No, it's not. Because you can't compare Xbox 360 sales figures to PSP sales figures to Xbox sales figures to PS1 sales.

Well, you CAN, but that's part of the problem. Easy math leads to bad conclusions.

.Sis

mckmas8808 said:

Smarten up people. Mc eighty-tee, how can you claim that the PSP in NA is "different" in terms of sales anaylsis...and then come back and talk about how we don't have sales figures? Can't have it both ways.

360 is going to have a tough time after the PS3 launch. At least Xbox1 had the graphical advantage.

I really can't see many reasons for people to buy 360's in Japan.

drpepper said:
The question is: would it make a difference if the release, of the games, wasn't delayed?

Why wouldn't the gamers buy the 360 on day one in order to secure their chances to play those games?

Because, using recent xbox1 history as a barometer, they figure they dont have to stand in the cold on day one. Theyll wait until the games are released and if they are good, theyll buy it. Its no different than people in NA and EU taking a 'wait and see' approach to the 360 except in Japan they are MUCH more likely to "wait and see" with anything 'xbox'.

Last edited by a moderator:
seismologist said:
360 is going to have a tough time after the PS3 launch. At least Xbox1 had the graphical advantage.

I really can't see many reasons for people to buy 360's in Japan.

Here's a list of Xbox 360 exclusive games that interest me, bolded ones could probably do pretty well in Japan. From Xbox Live, 360 exclusive games to the media center functionality anybody should be able to find plenty of reasons to get a 360:

Halo 3
Gears Of War
Forza 2
Kameo
Ninety Nine Nights
Crackdown
PGR3
Next Gen Wolfenstein
Dead Or Alive 4
Ninja Gaiden 2
Project Progressive
Lost Planet