Xbox Live appearing on IOS and Android

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Mar 14, 2019.

1. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18265214/microsoft-xbox-live-ios-android-games-support-features

2. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

This way android and ios games get pulled into the Xbox ecosystem even though your not buying from any ms stores.

Get people wanting to up their gamerscore etc, and hope that means a subset of those gamers feel more aligned with Xbox.
    That feeling of being used to Xbox live, I'll stick to those games and services in general.

For devs, easy way to add those functionality that they may otherwise may not bother with.
    On the surface sounds like a win win

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Not a win win for devs, I say as an indie. ;) For Xbox gamers it's great. For cross-platform titles, it's no worse than not having it if you were already going to target XB. For mobile devs, it's yet another ecosystem to implement when you already support iOS and Android native services (which already have (compulsory) achievements, friends, challenges, high scores, etc.). If it became the de facto service and no-one ever need bother with GameCentre and Play, great, but until then, I reckon it'll be a limited thing mostly for cross-platform titles or IPs.

Jay likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Fair enough, I've not played any ios or android games. Wasn't aware that they had it much less some aspects being compulsory.

Thanks for the clarification

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Might be useful for current 3rd party in the context of expanding their line ups of popular IPs with spin-off/tie-ins in order to cross promote in game bonus unlocks.

At the same time folks are probably getting irritated with having to setup a new account with each publisher. Microsoft would have to work really hard to get agreements on there though. I dunno what that would look like - just making it easier to link accounts? It seems nigh on impossible for giving MS the keys otherwise.

It could be like how Ubisoft or EA does things?

#5 TheAlSpark, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019