Xbox 2007 or bust?

The market doesn't want a $199.00 Core, its wants a $199.00 Premium. A $199.00 Core isn't going to be a major sales driver in comparsion to its big brother with a similar price cut. Even if MS threw in a free memory card into the Core sku, it would still sell poorly. The Core can't drive sales of the 360 brand because people want the HDD, the Live Starter Kit, the HD cables, the headset, wireless controller, chrome trim and also the name "Premium" . Most buyers see the extra $100.00 as a worthy investment.

MS would be better served cheapen the "Premium" experience rather than augmenting the "Core" experience.

Agreed. The core is a flop, and no one is interested in it. Increasingly, I see more people going for the Elite version, because of HDMI. For me, Sony is well in it, because there's only a $50 difference between the Elite and PS3, and the 3 major games next year (FF XIII, GT5 and GTA4) are all on PS3.

No one* in enthusiast gaming/hardware forums is interested in the Core. Of course, everybody would pick a Premium if both were at $199, but a $199 Core will sell shitloads. I expect over the entire lifetime of the Xbox 360 more than half of the consoles to be Cores.

* - well, almost no one. I would prefer to buy a Core and a HDD a couple of months later, instead of saving for the Premium. Maybe I'm not indoctrinated in the religion of credit cards enough :)

No one* in enthusiast gaming/hardware forums is interested in the Core. Of course, everybody would pick a Premium if both were at $199, but a $199 Core will sell shitloads. I expect over the entire lifetime of the Xbox 360 more than half of the consoles to be Cores.

* - well, almost no one. I would prefer to buy a Core and a HDD a couple of months later, instead of saving for the Premium. Maybe I'm not indoctrinated in the religion of credit cards enough :)

Doesnt the core stand at around 10% of the 360 userbase? Its a waste of time, and if you speak to people who dont own a next-gen system, they view it as a 'tard pack', since it doesnt have wireless controllers, and more importantly the HDD.

:rolleyes:

It could be said that currently it's a waste of time, but that's only because it's not at the right price point yet. We'll have to revisit this once it gets to $250 or less. BTW, I take issue with the idea that non-next-gen owners view it as a "tard pack". I'm sure they don't even know the difference. The only people that would consider it a "tard pack" would be the ones who have already bought a $400+ system and realized they got a much better value for their money.

Tommy McClain

It could be said that currently it's a waste of time, but that's only because it's not at the right price point yet. We'll have to revisit this once it gets to $250 or less. BTW, I take issue with the idea that non-next-gen owners view it as a "tard pack". I'm sure they don't even know the difference. The only people that would consider it a "tard pack" would be the ones who have already bought a $400+ system and realized they got a much better value for their money.

Tommy McClain

By that logic, the Wii, PS2, PSP and DS are tard packs, because they don't have HDDs. The existence of a better model doesn't make the Core any worse, and the HDD is absolutely not needed for many types of ultra-mass-market games - Guitar Hero, Madden, racers, Singstar, Buzz, puzzle games etc.

The only people that would consider it a "tard pack" would be the ones who have already bought a $400+ system and realized they got a much better value for their money.
Contrary to popular belief, some people are smart enough to know what they are getting before they actually buy it. Yeah, I am shocked as well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
By that logic, the Wii, PS2, PSP and DS are tard packs, because they don't have HDDs. The existence of a better model doesn't make the Core any worse, and the HDD is absolutely not needed for many types of ultra-mass-market games - Guitar Hero, Madden, racers, Singstar, Buzz, puzzle games etc.

The only one issue is for the xbox experience you need the hdd and the earphone and the live.For a succesfull core they have to change the image of the xbox,and that is a hard and long process.So,a 250$ core will be the same success as a 350$ core.

You can get only the rrod experience with the core.:)

Umm. I was specifically talking about the Xbox 360 and PS3. If you think I'm saying that any system without a hard drive does not have value, then I think you misinterpreted my comment. Those systems (wii, etc) have excellent value.

Tommy McClain

Tommy McClain

No, its a waste of time at any price-point because of what it doesnt include. To buy accessories for it is very expensive relative to the overall price of the Premium.

I find it amusing that some 'techies' on this site consider it likely that casual gamers wont understand the difference between Core and Premium, - they're not idioits. All you have to do is look in the Argos catalogue if you're really that confused...:rolleyes:

No, its a waste of time at any price-point because of what it doesnt include. To buy accessories for it is very expensive relative to the overall price of the Premium.

LOL Let's take a hypothetical price point. So you're saying that at $200 for a Core and $300 for a Premium that the Core is still a waste of time? What about $150 and $250? Or $100 and $200? The Core is definitely not a waste of time at any price-point.

I find it amusing that some 'techies' on this site consider it likely that casual gamers wont understand the difference between Core and Premium, - they're not idioits. All you have to do is look in the Argos catalogue if you're really that confused...:rolleyes:

They're not idiots. Uninitiated? Maybe. Don't care? Likely. The people that are likely to buy the Core are probably just getting into the system at the lowest entry point. For most casuals a difference of a $100 is a big deal. A $100 could get you 2 games. Yes, they'll pay more in the long run, but they may not be able to or not willing to go whole-hog right from the beginning.

Tommy McClain

The only one issue is for the xbox experience you need the hdd and the earphone and the live.

BS. What is "the xbox experience"? Isn't playing any of the hundreds of single-player games on the 360 not an "xbox experience"? Are Cores banned from Live?

you can use a mercedes to carry vegetables.But it is not the major image that the mercedes-benz want to advertise .
If your business modell is around the live, a product that support only partialy the exerience don't have place under your badge.

I don't think that MGS4 is relevant in the US anymore, but GT5 is and both are relevant in Europe which is where MS is weaker than they want to be right now. They need to put something out that will impress the Euros.

Then this seems a strange move

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26874

But to be honest I don't see how they can increase their relevance in Europe ?

(But thats good for me, cheap games that nobody wants :cool: )

you can use a mercedes to carry vegetables.But it is not the major image that the mercedes-benz want to advertise .
If your business modell is around the live, a product that support only partialy the exerience don't have place under your badge.

The business model of 360, like all consoles before them, is to sell as many games as possible. Live is icing on the cake.

Speaking of car analogies - you wouldn't know of people buying supposedly off-road SUVs and drive them to the supermarket only?

The business model of 360, like all consoles before them
Unlike all consoles before them, XB360 has a market for downloadable content. The business model is to make as much money as possible from the install base, and selling DC is a very lucrative part of that.

LOL Let's take a hypothetical price point. So you're saying that at $200 for a Core and $300 for a Premium that the Core is still a waste of time? What about $150 and $250? Or $100 and $200? The Core is definitely not a waste of time at any price-point.

They're not idiots. Uninitiated? Maybe. Don't care? Likely. The people that are likely to buy the Core are probably just getting into the system at the lowest entry point. For most casuals a difference of a $100 is a big deal. A $100 could get you 2 games. Yes, they'll pay more in the long run, but they may not be able to or not willing to go whole-hog right from the beginning.

Tommy McClain

$100? What is that £50? And what are the alternatives? Over-priced memory cards and HDD's if you choose to get one eventually.

The Core is already a mere $300 - and still selling like crap.

Unlike all consoles before them, XB360 has a market for downloadable content. The business model is to make as much money as possible from the install base, and selling DC is a very lucrative part of that.

From having DC as a lucrative secondary business model, to claiming that without DLC you don't get "the xbox experience" is a veeeery long stretch.

$100? What is that £50? And what are the alternatives? Over-priced memory cards and HDD's if you choose to get one eventually.

The Core is already a mere $300 - and still selling like crap.

I hope you realize that for a significant majority of the 6+ billion people on earth, and ALSO for a significant majority of the 120+ million people who had consoles of the previous generation, $300 can't be called "mere $300" - do you? Maybe you don't regularly mix with people who don't have $40,000 cars and $500 cellphones, but those people exist, and are part of the market.

From having DC as a lucrative secondary business model, to claiming that without DLC you don't get "the xbox experience" is a veeeery long stretch.
I don't think the 'XBox Experience' is just playing games. That wasn't the design, nor is it the unique selling point. The differentiating factor that turns the experience from 'the game console experience' into 'the XB360 experience' is online gaming and content. This is really just an argument of interpretation, but playing single player games on it doesn't constitute the XB360 experience in my mind. That's not using the hardware and services to their full, intended potential. If you bought a Ferrari and drove it at 30 MPH tops around town, would you consider yourself getting the full Ferrari experience, or is that principly no different to driving any other car, and you could have saved a lot of money to get that same experience elsewhere? If you bought a PS3 and only used it for watch movies and photo slideshows, are you getting the 'PS3 Experience'? If you buy a Wii and only play VC games on the retro controller, are you getting the full 'Wii Experience'?

I hope you realize that for a significant majority of the 6+ billion people on earth, and ALSO for a significant majority of the 120+ million people who had consoles of the previous generation, $300 can't be called "mere $300" - do you? Maybe you don't regularly mix with people who don't have $40,000 cars and $500 cellphones, but those people exist, and are part of the market.

I guess Americans are more price-sensitive, because to me £150 is like pocket money. I spent slightly less on my mp3 player. Then again, I guess you guys are used to paying less for electronics.

I hope you realize that the PS2 sold 25 million at the $299.00 and above, the Xbox 360 Premium has sold 7-9 million at $399.00 and above and the PS3 has sold 3-5 million at $599.00 and above so you can't simply point to "price" as the major reason of why the Core has only sold 1-2 million.

$300.00 isn't cheap amongst the vast majority of the world population. But given the stage of the current generation and its current target audience, $300.00 is "cheap" where even in the face of the popular $250.00 Wii, the majority of the current gen consoles have been sold at $399.00 and above.

Its a given that all console will move down in price so a $100.00 price drop for the Core won't happen in a vacuum. The factors that help influence the poor sales of the Core will still be present at the $199.00 price point.

Back