Worst day in Norway since WW2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Onkl Bjorni, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yes, this is an important factor without any question. And it has nothing to do necessarily with the country being rich or poor - Norway and The Netherlands are both rich countries, but the per-capita income is lower than in the US. However, wealth-distribution is much better and crucially poverty levels are much lower.

And still, if I remember correctly, in the US prisons are some of the most expensive in the world. I'm at the very least pretty sure they have comparatively many people in them. The prison industry in the US is huge. Doesn't necessarily mean that the system is fundamentally broken, but I am getting the impression that there are too many people benefitting from prisons. I'm just waiting for some kind of scandal to break out similar to the cigarette manufacturor scandals. :D

Here most common thing to go wrong is that someone who is in a curative state of imprisonment is allowed outside of prison with caretakers sometimes escapes and in rare cases does something bad. The big question here is whether or not you should give up on trying to rehabilitate 90 / 100 criminals just because 10 / 100 is going to do something bad again. Repeat offender stats do differ for various crimes. If I recall correctly for murder it is actually quite low, and for sex offenders it is quite high (which is one of the reasons why they are registered in most countries).

2. hoho

Veteran

In current economics where real unemployment is somewhere around 10-20%, what kind of jobs would the inmates have to do to pay for themselves?

3. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Usd per capita is lower than in Norway. Nominal is approx 90k usd per capita in Norway.

I promise you, Norwegian prison costs are atleast double.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Per prisoner, per day? Probably triple. Per capita? Less than a third.

5. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Well, us putting everyone in jail ofc makes stuff quite expensive. I saw a documentary recently which claimed there was close to a million us citizens in prison for possession of weed. That is crazy

6. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

An update to this sad story:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15936276

7. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It is at the very least clearly not 'temporary', because he planned everything in great detail.

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

His manifesto, as well as the level of preparation he showed carrying out the acquisition of weapons and ammunition, researching, testing and manufacturing his bombs and so on would speak of the rational state of mind he was in.

A crazy person would not manage something like that IMO, he's faking it to try and gain advantage.

9. hoho

Veteran

Why is insanity considered a binary state where one either is literally too crazy to be capable of doing some things vs not being crazy at all?

10. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

That makes no sense. Are you arguing that the things you list there are the sorts of things that ordinary, normal, well-adjusted people spend their weekends doing?!

Just because he was capable of methodical planning doesn't mean he wasn't unhinged.

11. cjo

cjo
    Regular

The article said:

He was capable of planning and calm thought, it just so happens that his underlying thought processes and/or assumptions were warped enough that he is considered crazy.

12. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Lol Norway. If any of you guys ever feel like committing mass murder, you know where to go.

13. Gubbi

Veteran

QFT.

If anything, the lengthy meticulous planning demonstrates the extend of his delusions.

Cheers

14. I.S.T.

Veteran

Agreed.

15. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Sane or insane - for me his crime deserves only one punishment. There is a hope some crazy inmates will do the justice.

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

A life-time of being forced to pick up the soap in the showers?