Worst day in Norway since WW2

This is the craziest day I have experienced.

First there is a bomb explosion outside the buildings housing many government departments and also the office of the prime minister. At least 7 reported dead.

Then there is a shooting incident (massacre?) at a traditional summer gathering for political youth outside Oslo. There can be as many as 25-30 people killed on Utøya. There was apparently just one assailant and he was wearing a police uniform.

Norway is a small country so I am sure every Norwegian is touched by this in one way or another.

who would the want to hurt norway its is kind of like Iceland(except the uk ;) <--) nobody hates them enough to do anything

i feel sorry for people that were hurt

who would the want to hurt norway its is kind of like Iceland(except the uk ;) <--) nobody hates them enough to do anything

i feel sorry for people that were hurt

I had the same reaction, anyone who has strong feelings about Norway has positive feelings about the country, so I don't think it has anything to do with foreign affairs.

Looks like internal terrorism… :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
My sympathies to all victims of these awful acts. I love Norway and its people, this is just terrible.

I was just in oslo a month ago and was chatting with security guards about where I could get some good food. They were relaxed and nice, this sucks, hopefully they can keep their nice outlook after this.

Looks like the bombing and the massacre on Utøya are both the work of a Norwegian right-wing nationalist/white supremacist, who is now under arrest. So far it is not known if he had any help carrying out the plot, but considering he manufactured at least three explosive devices (two of which never went off) and acquired an assault rifle somehow that doesn't seem out of the question.

Apparantly this guy has criticized Norwegian society on right-wing websites and whatnot for not being critical enough of Islam, but considering what this guy just did I don't think Muslims is what the Norwegians ought to be scared of...

Latest update from the police puts the death toll on the Utoya sight at at least 80, would not be surprised if the final death toll end up over 100 persons.
All by one sick, sad and deranged person.
Normally don't wish ill will on anyone, but hope this s***head gets what he deserves.

22.07.2011 will forever be one of the most tragic days in Norwegian history :(

Terrible tragedy. My condolences to friends and families of victims. I hope some people realize that mad men come in all shapes and sizes.

I saw some footage of the island with rescuer/police recovering bodies from the water. It's really mind numbing and sad.

BTW isn't Norway sort of known for taking it easy with criminals ? What would the guy get ?

I saw some footage of the island with rescuer/police recovering bodies from the water. It's really mind numbing and sad.

BTW isn't Norway sort of known for taking it easy with criminals ? What would the guy get ?

The maximum prison term that it's possible to sentence anyone to on Norway is normally 21 years; however Norwegian courts do have the option of extending the prison term for 5 years at a time - indefinitely. I would very much expect this option to be exercised against this monster, ensuring that he will in fact remain behind bars for the rest of his life.

The maximum prison term that it's possible to sentence anyone to on Norway is normally 21 years; however Norwegian courts do have the option of extending the prison term for 5 years at a time - indefinitely. I would very much expect this option to be exercised against this monster, ensuring that he will in fact remain behind bars for the rest of his life.

I looked it up and is the thing that you're talking about preventative detention (first paragraph)? It sounds like the way it works is that you sentence them to preventative detention rather than a set number of years and then you can extend it indefinitely. I'm not sure but I can't find many English sources on this.

The Utoya shooter caught on camera "finishing" the helpless victums with his weapon:

23r263t.jpg

Back