Worms XBLA complete

nintenho

Veteran
http://www.xboxic.com/news/1950

Worms HD for XBLA done, waiting on MS to be released
Posted in Games, Xbox Live Arcade, Rumors by Nino on November 8th, 2006 at 1:11
ILoveXbla.com found some interesting news on Team17 fansite Dream17 concerning a rumored Xbox Live Arcade port of good old Worms. Apparently the guy that runs Dream17 bumped into Worms producer Martyn Brown during the 2006 London Games Festival back in October and Brown told him that “Worms HD is now complete, and it’s just a matter of Microsoft releasing itâ€￾. Bombs away!

That might spike up Arcade sales.

I don't know how it would pump the sales really. I remember back in the days when I was little punk, it used to be awesome playing worms and beating the hell out of my friends in it but, the appeal is gone for me these days. :)

Worms is a good game but they really need to do something for it to make it appealing again. I don't think "HD" will cut it.

Worms! Man, that is a fun game. My friend and I used to play this on the PC all the time -- like a better version of Scorched Earth (great game in its own right). IF it supports MP over live that would be a blast, especially if they added video chat :D

As long as it's a 2D remake like Lemmings on PS3, and not a 3D monstrosity like later Worms games, it could be good. Played a lot of the original Worms at uni. Since then though, I haven't found many people with the patience for turn-based games, which is a shame. They need a realtime worms!

Haha one of the best party games ever. I remember sleepovers aged 15, Megadrive, Micromachines, Worms and rear projection TV. Those were the days.

It would be worthless without live. That has to be the easiest game to do it on. Has to! I know a bunch of people to play this with.

It would be worthless without live. That has to be the easiest game to do it on. Has to! I know a bunch of people to play this with.

I agree. I thought that was a disappointment in the fairly recent PSP version:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/698/698561p1.html

Of course with the PSP you can do gamesharing and ad-hoc, as well has hot-swap (which is kinda neat) and being portable and all you can take it along with you to have some fun with friends, but I still really would have liked an infrastructure mode.

Then again, I still don't know if I'd have bought it then. It's getting kinda old now ... Bu then of course, there are a lot of people who never played it, and it's good they get a chance to catch up. :)

On the PSP it uses the same engine as Lemmings, by the way, if I remember correctly - so I wouldn't be surprised, with Lemmings announced for E-distro on PS3, and now Worms for Live, that you'll also get Lemmings on Live at some point.

Of course with the PSP you can do gamesharing and ad-hoc, as well has hot-swap (which is kinda neat) and being portable and all you can take it along with you to have some fun with friends, but I still really would have liked an infrastructure mode.
Infrastructure with a handheld is somewhat less reliable than with a stationary device. People would tend to "instant quit on losing" even more, and on other occasions. I can understand the arguments of Team17 there.

But sadly, Worms PSP doesn't even support game sharing! The DS-version did, though. And i'd rather not have my PSP tossed around every few seconds in "hot potatoe mode". Thus i didn't buy it...

On the PSP it uses the same engine as Lemmings, by the way, if I remember correctly - so I wouldn't be surprised, with Lemmings announced for E-distro on PS3, and now Worms for Live, that you'll also get Lemmings on Live at some point.

Sony owns the Lemmings IP, they bought it along with Psygnosis long ago. Team17 was asked to make a Lemmings game using their Worms engine and surely did so, but the rights remain with Sony. You will definitely never ever see Lemmings Live.

Worms is one of my most favorite party games for sure. So much fun.

taken from Team17 about Worms on Live
Plans for announcements are being discussed with MS next week, hold tight.

The game is in final certification stages btw, yes it's pretty much all finished apart from any last bugs they find. MS has a schedule of releases and we'll soon find out how we fit into that. Our first digital-platform release (ie. non retail, download only) is Lemmings 2 for PS3, very shortly.
I hope worms comes to the PS3, I'd buy that without hesitation.

I imagine Worms will come to PS3. Can you name any platforms that didn't get worms?! As they have the Lemmings 2 engine created for PS3 (Team17 did that BTW according to their forum) I expect Worms will get a port.

It'll be interesting how cross-platform the download games become versus the disc-based games. It'd be cheaper to create lots of 1st party exclusive downloads than 1st major titles, so I would expect more competition in that arena.

I imagine Worms will come to PS3. Can you name any platforms that didn't get worms?! As they have the Lemmings 2 engine created for PS3 (Team17 did that BTW according to their forum) I expect Worms will get a port.

It'll be interesting how cross-platform the download games become versus the disc-based games. It'd be cheaper to create lots of 1st party exclusive downloads than 1st major titles, so I would expect more competition in that arena.

Worms is worse than me. It's been on everything.

When we get chips implanted in our brains directly, there will be a version of Worms in them.

I imagine Worms will come to PS3. Can you name any platforms that didn't get worms?!
Good point. The moderator on the forum hinted that there is a good chance it will come, I just hope it's sooner than later. Worms should be played by everybody, it's great fun imo. :)

Infrastructure with a handheld is somewhat less reliable than with a stationary device. People would tend to "instant quit on losing" even more, and on other occasions. I can understand the arguments of Team17 there.

Well, I think that's a lame excuse. I can choose to play with people I trust, and MGS3 solved this problem rather elegantly anyway.

But sadly, Worms PSP doesn't even support game sharing!

Ouch! That sucks ...

The DS-version did, though. And i'd rather not have my PSP tossed around every few seconds in "hot potatoe mode".

I have no problems with that though. And I do think that's a useful mode actually, because I still don't have enough people around me with a PSP to do this stuff regularly.

Sony owns the Lemmings IP, they bought it along with Psygnosis long ago. Team17 was asked to make a Lemmings game using their Worms engine and surely did so, but the rights remain with Sony. You will definitely never ever see Lemmings Live.

Oh? I didn't know that ... (starts wondering about what Psygnosis games I used to really love ... Isn't Blood Money also from Psygnosis? I loved that slow little shooter, great two player mode and great difficulty - actually finished it. But I can't find it anymore on emulation, only a demo ... it seems to have been lost :( The jelly fish and water snakes were beautiful).

Oh? I didn't know that ... (starts wondering about what Psygnosis games I used to really love ... Isn't Blood Money also from Psygnosis?
Yeah, Blood Money was one of the earliest games I remember from Psygnoisis. Wikipedia shows quite a line-up for the firm. Some of the more important titles for me are
Shadow of the Beast - the 'Killer App' for the Amiga
Lemmings
Hired Guns - Fantastic 4 player game, mistly because int he coop you could shoot your friends. Or lock them in a room with a grenade.
Armour-Geddon - An impossible but very smooth 3D combat game, known for it's CG intro - early days for all that!

coming next week.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4059_en.html

Worms Wriggling Onto Arcade Next Week
Team17's invertebrates finally get a release date.

UK, March 2, 2007 - Microsoft has announced that Team17's turn-based strategy game Worms will be available to download from Xbox Live Arcade next Wednesday for 800 MS Points.

This special Xbox 360 version of Worms comes complete with a host of fancy features, including four-person multiplayer action over Xbox Live or locally, three tutorials for newcomers to the series, 20 single-player challenges, 22 weapons and a host of customisation options.

Worms will be available from the Xbox Live Marketplace from 8am (GMT) on Wednesday, March 8.

Back