[XBLA, PSN] Alien Breed: Evolution

AlNom

Legend
Alien Breed was great on Amiga thanks to superb Team17 artwork and cooperative play, riding on the hype of Aliens. I just wish this was 3/4 player coop!

Whenever I hear a game is done using UE3 I get worried, to be honest, because I haven't liked a single game yet that uses it. This should be good in theory, but we'll see.

Not even Gears :(

I think I understand where he is coming from. Although many different games have used it in a different way and with a different art direction, they all seemed to be limited within the same confinements. The modifications arent unique or that advanced.

Some games with a new engine build from ground up that targets specific areas do more marvelous things. I would like to mention a few examples but I dont want to create a vs discussion.

Looking good ! Doesn't look like a violent game, which is a plus for me.

Take your time. There're too many great games this holiday.

Looking good ! Doesn't look like a violent game, which is a plus for me.

Take your time. There're too many great games this holiday.

Not violent? It's like playing a top down version of the movie Aliens. Maybe there isn't a lot of blood. I don't know. But there's definitely shooting and killing lots of alien monsters.

Not God of War 3 type of violence. Shooting, stabbing and getting chewed up are child's play these days. Pulling dude's head off, close up with dangling skin is another level altogether. ^_^

For that level of violence, I'll have Blu-ray District 9 + GoW 3 demo in 3 weeks. Need to hide from kid.

I used to love playing this is the arcade
Whenever I hear a game is done using UE3 I get worried, to be honest, because I haven't liked a single game yet that uses it.
yes wrong engine, this is a game that screams out for lots of dynamic lighting and shadowing, which UE3 struggles with

reminds me of a couple of games ive done
www.zedzeek.com/junk/part1.avi
www.zedzeek.com/junk/AA.avi
though mine has full shadowing ;) + thats with a GPU thats 1/2 powerful as the one in the ps3/xbox360 so defeinitly wrong engine choice on their part

I just finished making a game yesterday, and are wondering what to do next
this game has got me interested

How do yous think of a game with a similar setting, though with aliens made from blocks? (like 3d dot heros)

I think I understand where he is coming from. Although many different games have used it in a different way and with a different art direction, they all seemed to be limited within the same confinements. The modifications arent unique or that advanced.

Some games with a new engine build from ground up that targets specific areas do more marvelous things. I would like to mention a few examples but I dont want to create a vs discussion.

It always bugs me how all UE3 games look the same, like there is only one art direction to take. Though I enjoyed the first Gears, the second one hurt my eyes, its just too messy. Especially compared to the cleanliness of games like UC2.

I used to love playing this is the arcade

yes wrong engine, this is a game that screams out for lots of dynamic lighting and shadowing, which UE3 struggles with

reminds me of a couple of games ive done
www.zedzeek.com/junk/part1.avi
www.zedzeek.com/junk/AA.avi
though mine has full shadowing ;) + thats with a GPU thats 1/2 powerful as the one in the ps3/xbox360 so defeinitly wrong engine choice on their part

I just finished making a game yesterday, and are wondering what to do next
this game has got me interested

How do yous think of a game with a similar setting, though with aliens made from blocks? (like 3d dot heros)

Are you using engine = renderer? Because a small budget title that has certain goals with very, very tight budgets an affordable, robust engine with strong content generation tools and a very, very good XBLA quality renderer doesn't seem like the "wrong engine."

Sure, games like KZ2 and UC2 have way better renderers, but they aren't middleware and we haven't seen their engines used in a lot of ways. iirc UE3 has had quite a few different games with various rendering hacks so there is always that option as well. But if it wasn't modified much it probably is more of an indication of their budget... which goes back to: UE3 or ... Gamebryo?

i think its look v good for xbla and i dont get this all u3 hate. So what if something else looks better :S, imo u3 is perfect choice for alien breed, it just fits.

Are you using engine = renderer?
no Im using engine == renderer + physics + input/reaction etc
the content creation phase(models/maps/gfx/AI etc) is totally separate from the engine + yes UE3 is great for this, change X + see it nearly instantly onscreen is wonderful.

Part of the reason why UE3 games struggle is due to a rendering design choice which handicaps it by 20-30%, but its easy in hindsight to be an expert.

imo u3 is perfect choice for alien breed, it just fits.
like I said, now imagine for each of those explosions/flamethowers in the game that they gave off light + as a bonus cast shadows (wouldnt that be better?), of course, it would give a movie like feel like alien or aliens, thus what they have is certainly not perfect, aka UE3 is a good choice but not perfect

now for my game, I made a prototype today of an idea of a racing game (a genre along with platformers I hate) u drive on the outside of a planet, imagine a whole planet to drive on, a race from A->B now the problem is it doesnt work!!! the planet has to be f'ing huge + u have to travel at 1000s km/hr for it to work or else it feels like youre falling off the planet the whole time since the horizon is so close.
thus I am thinking about an alien syndrome remake, but if anyone has any decent gameplay ideas/twists Ild love to hear them email me at zedzeek.com

I'll just add what about Fat Princess as a UE3 title? But let's not take this thread OT! I dont think even half the posts are about the actual game and the joy that Team 17 are finally moving on from Worms! The Alien Breed remake was originally going to appear last gen with the Snowblind Studios Engine (oh look. Dynamic shadow casting lights... :p ) but no publisher would publish it. DD has freed them.

For the guys/gals that remember the Amiga version, pay close attention the the music that plays over the credits!

For the guys/gals that remember the Amiga version, pay close attention the the music that plays over the credits!

In a fit of nostalgia I dug out the Amiga last night and booted up Alien Breed and Alien Breed 3D. They still rock I have to admit.

Back