Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to Win8 on my DV8P for reasons including some of what you mentioned. There's just no advantage to using Win10 on it.

I went back to Win8 on my DV8P for reasons including some of what you mentioned. There's just no advantage to using Win10 on it.

does anything you installed and worked after W10 got deleted when going back to W8.1?
i want to go back but i have done so many things in W10 (mainly in chrome tabs and my documents).

ugh... upgrading my main working tablet to W10 is a mistake. Or the mistake is im using tablet for work lol

I don't like how there's no way to change the icons for non modern UI apps. Considering the startling lack of modern UI apps (no steam app, no spotify app, facebook app opens the crappy mobile version etc..) this is essential IMO.

I had some 100% hd utilization problem on win8.1 that made my notebook randomly useless, anything that touched the hd was win95 era slow, even simply searching something in the start screen, and sometime it just crawled for a minute or so.
I've tried anything but never resoved, now after the upgrade it works perfectly.

I don't like how there's no way to change the icons for non modern UI apps. Considering the startling lack of modern UI apps (no steam app, no spotify app, facebook app opens the crappy mobile version etc..) this is essential IMO.

weird, i can change them
Taskbar quicklaunch/pinned icon C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

inside start should be (have not tried, probably cached, probably affected by 512 max app bug)
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

does anything you installed and worked after W10 got deleted when going back to W8.1?
i want to go back but i have done so many things in W10 (mainly in chrome tabs and my documents).

ugh... upgrading my main working tablet to W10 is a mistake. Or the mistake is im using tablet for work lol
I just formatted and reinstalled 8.1.

UGH, just installed Windows 10 on my tablet. What a piece of crap compared to Windows 8.1 in both desktop and tablet mode.

Why did they have to change the scrolling to top to bottom instead of side to side? It's far less intuitive and far less useful.

Why did they have to get ride of swipe from right for start menu? Why do I have to click the stupid start button if I want the start screen? Thank goodness I found an option for full screen start menu or I would have truly blown a gasket. Although even that is hugely disappointing as there is no context sensitive swipe from right making the whole thing far less useful.

Edge is nice and fast. But I absolutely HATE the fact that there is no title bar and tabs go all the way to the freaking top. No internet options, is this a F'ing joke? No security settings? Hence no way to setup either blacklist or whitelist browsing? WTF were they thinking? Tried to find it in the sorry excuse for control panel, I mean, "Settings." But that horrible thing is almost useless.

[edit] Control panel still exists in the Win-X menu and can get to internet options from there. So at least I have that back. Still annoying as hell.

Typing on the start menu doesn't start a search? WTF?

I think I'll be staying on Windows 8.1 on my desktop. This will be the first time ever where I see little to no reason for me to move to a new version of Windows. At this point I'm so pissed off that I'm not even sure DX12 games would make me consider "upgrading" (more like downgrading) to Windows 10.

Seriously, what were they smoking when they came up with this piece of crap?

I'll give it some time on my tablet, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up trying to roll back to Windows 8.1.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
On the desktop you install Classic Shell, as with Win8, and then Win10 is essentially just a slightly different form of 8.1. I don't like it on the tablet much at all though.

Classic shell makes it like Windows 7, which I do NOT want, yuck. :)

I liked how things worked in 8.1, and am extremely disappointed that Windows 10 is a huge step backwards in terms of functionality.

Hell, I can't believe how something as simple as being able to power down or put the computer to sleep with a simple swipe from the right is so intrinsic to how I use the computer now (even my desktop). The fact that the functionality is completely missing from Windows 10 infuriates me. Sure I can just hit the start button, and do it. But it's so much simpler, IMO, to just swipe in from any right side edge to do the same rather than click a specific location.

Bleh. That one I could probably get used to over time. It's a huge step backwards, but at least it's something relatively minor. But the start menu/screen not automatically starting a search as soon as I start typing? That's just hugely annoying. I'd thought we'd gotten away from the caveman days of having to click a search icon or type in a specific location to start a search.

Regards,
SB

What I really want for Win10 is for a start menu to be back and a way to seal that Metro tile stuff in the desktop. The other thing I don't really mind the way it is. Probably only streamlining the UI, since right now on 8.1 I sometimes choose using the new UI to access some setting while accessing other setting is simpler using the old control panel, thus kinda strange mixed experience, but I can tolerate this.

Luckily I haven't upgraded to Win10 because it still isn't available on my PC (the status is still reserved) and I didn't force myself to do the downloading trick.

weird, i can change them
Taskbar quicklaunch/pinned icon C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

inside start should be (have not tried, probably cached, probably affected by 512 max app bug)
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Sorry, what I meant is there is no way to fully customise the tile, i.e. make the icon fill the tile rather than being a small picture in the middle of it. There is a hack you can do for this using Tilecreator but it has too many draw backs at this point to be considered a proper solution IMO.

I had some 100% hd utilization problem on win8.1 that made my notebook randomly useless, anything that touched the hd was win95 era slow, even simply searching something in the start screen, and sometime it just crawled for a minute or so.
I've tried anything but never resoved, now after the upgrade it works perfectly.
I had a similar problem on 8.1, windows update wouldn't install certain updates and would just stay stuck at installing or downloading while talk manager showed windows module installer or windows error reporting pegging my SSD. First found out about it when my computer was a bit slower one day and found of of those two pegging my SSD, spend a few months off and on trying to fix it, never could so I just disabled automatic updates and just manually ran it every week and see what updates would would install.

Has anyone else noticed stuttering/dropped frames in windows 10 while using MPC-BE or something similar with madvr? Oh and if I don't use DX11 for full-screen then going fullscreen results in the picture freezing while audio continues.

Has anyone else noticed stuttering/dropped frames in windows 10 while using MPC-BE or something similar with madvr? Oh and if I don't use DX11 for full-screen then going fullscreen results in the picture freezing while audio continues.
I have MPC-HC x64 with madVR and I'm not getting such glitches. The weird thing is that I get the delayed FS switch transition only the first time, after the playback have begun. After that it's almost instantaneous. There's audio cut-off during the FS mode transition, but that's because I use HDMI audio, I guess. No sync or frame dropping issues. There are dropped frames only after screen-mode switch.

I have MPC-HC x64 with madVR and I'm not getting such glitches. The weird thing is that I get the delayed FS switch transition only the first time, after the playback have begun. After that it's almost instantaneous. There's audio cut-off during the FS mode transition, but that's because I use HDMI audio, I guess. No sync or frame dropping issues. There are dropped frames only after screen-mode switch.
Hmm, I'm still using the 32 bit version of mpc-be, might try the 64bit version.

Hell, I can't believe how something as simple as being able to power down or put the computer to sleep with a simple swipe from the right is so intrinsic to how I use the computer now (even my desktop). The fact that the functionality is completely missing from Windows 10 infuriates me. Sure I can just hit the start button, and do it. But it's so much simpler, IMO, to just swipe in from any right side edge to do the same rather than click a specific location.

Bleh. That one I could probably get used to over time. It's a huge step backwards, but at least it's something relatively minor. But the start menu/screen not automatically starting a search as soon as I start typing? That's just hugely annoying. I'd thought we'd gotten away from the caveman days of having to click a search icon or type in a specific location to start a search
Actually if you bring up Win10's startmenu and type, it does begin a search.

I like Classic Shell's ability (like 7,yes) to configure the default power button action. I use sleep 99% of the time so it is two clicks away. I also use 8gadgetpack and run a sidebar power gadget so it's easy to sleep/reboot over remote desktop. My keyboard can do sleep too. Lots of options.

8 has a solid tablet UI but stupid desktop changes. 10 is a failure to make a hybrid that fits everything, built by a company without a good leader I suppose. 7 and older were great, functional desktop OSs. End of story for me. I think the general populace will approve of 10 more than 8 however.

Last edited:
This has bothered me since I've installed win10, the slow startups. Its about 2x as slow as win8.1 (running on HDD) and win10 is on SSD, heres what happens

turn on PC
bios screen displayed for a second
blackness for 10-30 seconds
blue screen where I can select which OS (after a couple of seconds it defaults to win10,normally I don't touch it)
black screen, bios screen displayed for a second!!! wtf its like it reboots again
windows starts up in 10seconds ->5 minutes

previously with only win8.1 & linux installed, after the OS selection part, it would then load straight into the OS, i.e. no reboot

So whats up and more importantly how to fix it?

Any help
  • Microsoft rolls out second cumulative update for Windows 10 - Less than a week after Microsoft released the first cumulative update to Windows 10, they have pushed out another cumulative release via Windows Update. At this time, it is not known what this release includes - but many users will be hoping that it contains a fix for issues that were causing some machines to enter a reboot loop while trying to install the first update. This particular update is KB3081436 and you can find the support page here
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081436

So far Windows 10 is doing well on my wife laptop, on mine it is a mixed bag, it is slower than windows 8.1, it eats my battery away and it is quite intrusive. A nice benefit is that I regained control of which GPU is used on my laptop. I decided to reset my laptop and stick to windows 10 as I expect things to get ironed out sooner than later.
I'm a lot more wary wrt to my Alienware /games and emulators compatibility.

Other than that Edge shows potential but is still a joke compared to competition... I mean it fails on youtube /flash player... that is not some random website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back