Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck MS has been pushing multiple update for W10 but still no surround audio fix for optical (it seems for Analog has been fixed but bug still persist for some bit depth)

https://www.google.co.id/search?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1218&bih=659&q=dolby+OR+dts+test+tone+"windows+10"

ugh microsoft what are you doing messing around windows audio in W10... whats wrong with W7 and W8 implementation?

EDIT
it seems the sound card that able to properly output 5.1ch via optical is C-Media based ones (e.g. Asus Xonar series and a bunch of generic chienese). Realtek onboard and Creative X-Fi are broken

EDIT2:

"That's correct, we haven't published the fix yet. Thanks!" (John W [MSFT]) - 7 august 2015

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That bloody bug has been there since PREVIEW Micro-goddamn-soft.

What a nice bug priority fixing right there /s

now i only can pray and wish for the best for the audio fixing team. Goodluck guys/girls. Your work will help Creative and Realtek users on alll around the world

Last edited:
So anyone else having issues with Firefox not coming out of Sleep properly?

I'm finding it sometimes coming back with the GUI border/items blank, actual screen shows normal.
I can click on where the options dropdown is & close then its fine on restarting.
No similar issue with Chrome.

If you are going to take the "I'd rather have paranoia than trust", then get a real firewall in your house. For actual getting-shit-done reasons, I bought a FortiGate NGFW / UTM appliance for my house a few years ago and it's been awesome. A cheap firewall will keep people out, a good firewall will keep your data in..

I'm actually working to upgrade my FG40c to a newer 80d just because of the additional throughput now available from my home internet connection.

So I have to spend 800 bucks in the hope that I can prevent MS from harvesting my data?

Is there already any information available on how all data is synced back to MS and how they serve ads to you? Wouldn't be surprised if eg. blocking privacy stuff will also lead to blocking windows update.

There are no ads in W10 itself that I know of, and what data of yours is it you're concerned with MS "harvesting"?

There are no ads in W10 itself that I know of, and what data of yours is it you're concerned with MS "harvesting"?

So far the only ads that have been found in the default install are in Solitaire. So far. It shows ads and 30 sec video clips between games unless you pay a $10/year Solitaire subscription.

No this is not from the Onion. Someone at Microsoft thought that was a good idea.

So I have to spend 800 bucks in the hope that I can prevent MS from harvesting my data?
No zone alarm free will give you control of what programs can access the internet
fVvEzQV.jpg

But beware blocking internet access for certain service that used for multiple purpose. For example the svchost.exe and a few more

From Ars technica artikel

The common home user versions of Windows, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro, always collect (and report) at least "Basic" level information and no way to turn off the feature entirely.

Hmm the paranoia of windows hacker on windows hacking forum seems not a mere paranoia.

I wonder did thru finally success in disabling the keyloggers

Well, that's irritating. No drivers for my laptop's touchpad which work anything like correctly so I've had to roll-back to a driver dated June 2006!

Only problem is that there is no way to stop 'tap to click' on the touchpad (I always use the physical buttons on mine) so I'm becoming rather irritated by the way new windows open and close and links are inadvertently selected as I'm browsing!

It was bad enough when a Windows 7 security update broke the functionality in the past, but this is just insufferable. Who to blame? Microsoft, Acer or Elan, none of whom can apparently produce functional drivers for Windows 10?

Why should Solitaire be treated any differently to other free to play games?

Last I looked I paid $199 for Windows 10 Pro (Home is also not free).

I didn't pick the adware topic but a full version of Solitaire was included in Windows for 25 years.
I think that creates a precedent so why don't you explain why this should be normal now?

So far the only ads that have been found in the default install are in Solitaire.
Yes I know, which is why I said "in windows itself"; solitaire is a bundled game separate from the actual OS. You'll never see the ads if you - like me - never intend to start the game.

Yes I know, which is why I said "in windows itself"; solitaire is a bundled game separate from the actual OS. You'll never see the ads if you - like me - never intend to start the game.

Ah ok.

Well it is in the default install but sure I think it is fair to regard it more as an unwanted piece of bundled software.
Is there a deselect option for the bundleware during the installation of the software that you want (ie, Windows itself)? I may have missed it.

Last I looked I paid $199 for Windows 10 Pro (Home is also not free).
I didn't pick the adware topic but a full version of Solitaire was included in Windows for 25 years.
I think that creates a precedent so why don't you explain why this should be normal now?

It simply brings it into line with other free to play games. Arguably this version of Solitaire is the most feature packed yet. Why not pay for the cost of that development with money that is derived from the people who play it? It stands to reason that if Solitaire gets a lot of subscribers (or a lot of ad views) then MS will continue to develop it and similar experiences for those who enjoy it.

If you think that Solitaire is a basic feature and requirement of an OS (therefore should be factored into the cost of it) then I don't know what to tell you.

Curious if during installation you are given the option of not installing any MS games?
No, there is no such option.

Although, for those who really desire it, why not just copy the relevant file(s) from a past windows version and "enjoy" the old solitaire? Personally I could never play it for long, because the card shuffling algorithm used in all of MS's card games was so friggin borked.

Who to blame? Microsoft, Acer or Elan, none of whom can apparently produce functional drivers for Windows 10?
Meh, if you want a laptop, buy a Mac, for exactly the reason you mention...and many others too, I personally would say. ;) Shitty touchpads, and generally speaking, shittier still plastic chassis that creaks like mad at the slightest touch, charging connectors that break off easily, poor keyboards, often poorer still LCD screens... On and on it goes.

Granted, this doesn't help if you can't buy a new laptop though for whatever reason, or simply don't want an Apple lappy. :p

Isn't Apple where the awful clickpad thing originated? The touchpad without true separate mechanical buttons. I despise those.

Last edited:
Meh, if you want a laptop, buy a Mac, for exactly the reason you mention...and many others too, I personally would say. ;) Shitty touchpads, and generally speaking, shittier still plastic chassis that creaks like mad at the slightest touch, charging connectors that break off easily, poor keyboards, often poorer still LCD screens... On and on it goes.

Granted, this doesn't help if you can't buy a new laptop though for whatever reason, or simply don't want an Apple lappy. :p

I got a great deal on this Acer laptop when I paid around GBP 280 around 5 years ago for a Core i5 laptop and it has functioned almost perfectly with Windows 7 since then. Generally just used for browsing/bit of playing around with Android phones/ripping DVDs and music.

Only issue I've had is when I upgraded to an SSD earlier this year and had problems with stability before I managed to locate some Intel RST drivers which worked without bugs.

If I'd bought a Macbook for around 3 or 4 times the price, I don't doubt I would have been happy with it as well (though I've never owned any device manufactured by Apple), but would it really have provided any extra utility to me? Nope, certainly not.

If I can resolve the stupid touchpad issue I'll be happy with it for another few years, hopefully.

Biggest problem at the moment is that the touchpad isn't actually appearing in the device manager - just a PS/2 mouse showing up at present! However, I'm still happy I didn't pay another 500+ quid for a Macbook all those years ago! :)

However, I'm still happy I didn't pay another 500+ quid for a Macbook all those years ago! :)
Yes, but at least Macs actually come with integrated working driver for all the included hardware in the box. No separate drivers needed for touch pads. Now, if that isn't worth a thousand quid so say! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back