Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Scott_Arm, Oct 1, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davros

Legend

They should concentrate on getting 2D icons working first
    [​IMG]

2. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

more dimensions is always better ;)

3. zed

zed
    Veteran

looks like they've copied android, whilst better than metro as it has some depth, I'm with shifty I want the return of proper quasi 3d ?? where buttons looked like buttons etc so you know what is clickable etc

Question (which I've asked before)
    How to make Windows Explorer Only display all the directories as 'general items' including all subsequent created directories

4. Rurouni

Veteran

Chrome suddenly stop working. Whether it got to do with 2017-05 cumulative update or not, I don't know, but it stopped working after it being installed. The error that I've got is this

DNS address could not be found.
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

I've already tried many suggestion from the net (flush dns from the browser, pc, quic thing, etc) and nothing worked. I think it is more of Chrome problem than Windows since other browser works perfectly and all the apps/programs that need internet connection works like normal. I've also tried installing Canary, which is separate installation from Chrome, and it also experiencing the same error.

I want to uninstall cumulative update, but apparently you can't uninstall it, thus I don't know whether the cumulative update are the thing that triggered it or Chrome just decided to quit on me.

Chromium based browser do work (like Vivaldi).

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

iTunes potentially coming to Xbox I wonder? That would certainly be interesting.

Regards,
    SB

Arnold Beckenbauer likes this.
  6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I'm not sure I feel like paying for dimensions I won't use

BRiT likes this.
  7. Davros

Legend

Ive had that a few times but going back quite a while like 3 months.

I just want icons on the start menu to work they work in explorer, plus I want sub folders on the start menu
    multimedia folder on the start menu
    [​IMG]

When I open the multimedia folder in explorer (right click on icon -- more -- open file location)
    [​IMG]

#2507 Davros, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

2 additional flavors of Linux will be coming to Windows.

http://techreport.com/news/31899/three-flavors-of-linux-are-coming-to-windows-store

You'll have the options of installing a Fedora and SUSE in addition to Ubuntu. Will also be able to install them to a different drive than C:.

Also interesting is that for any educational purchasers of Windows-S (the target market for said Windows), as long as the purchaser demonstrates a need for a full version of Windows, they will be able to upgrade for free.

So, only people that aren't involved in education in anyway will have to pay a 50 USD upgrade fee.

Regards,
    SB

Cyan, entity279 and BRiT like this.
  9. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Oh yeah. SUSE <3

10. hoom

Veteran

I see a load of marketing/designer claptrap & nothing actually saying that they are going to bring anything to Win10.
    But if they actually are going to bring some proper 3D GUI stuff that'd be great :smile2:

Edit: ok so https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/11/m...t-design-its-take-on-googles-material-design/
    https://arstechnica.com/information...fficially-the-microsoft-fluent-design-system/
    http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-shows-fluent-design-coming-edge-fall-creators-update

It is new version of Metro with the return of Glass style blurry transparency, animation & parallax which is cool by me :)

Edit2: https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/12/...sign-system-is-boring-and-thats-a-good-thing/
    heh

#2510 hoom, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Cyan likes this.
  11. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Or AirPlay to Windows?

12. Rurouni

Veteran

After trying Vivaldi, I tried Chrome portable, and it works. The similarity between both is that they are 32bit, thus I've downloaded 32bit version of Chrome and yes, it worked. So either something is wrong with 64bit version of Chrome or it is just an unlucky combination of Windows 10 (with the latest update) + Chrome + my PC.
    Anyway, I'm really happy that Chrome is working again. When Chrome was broken, I've used various browser and it make me took notice on how good Chrome is.

13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I tried several Linux versions, but never SUSE or Fedora, so that would be a first.

14. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

15. zed

zed
    Veteran

I notice since about 4 days, MS have fixed the 'download' directory speed issue. I think I've mentioned this before, SSD ~300 items in download directory, takes > 2 minutes to display the directory's contents in order, now its near instant like it should be

16. hoom

Veteran

Yes I've been similarly flummoxed by time to display Downloads directory despite it being on SSD.
    Has been notably faster just recently but I also cleared out the directory recently so figured it was just that.

There was a new Cumulative update.
    No obvious link in the patch notes though https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020102/windows-10-update-kb4020102

Edit: anyone else noticed Calculator has gained blurry transparency?
    I guess thats the nuGlass they were talking about.

#2516 hoom, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  17. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

i dont undertand the logic behind W10 right click menu

wtfs.jpg

18. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Most common consumer actions under right-click with more "advanced" under More?

orangpelupa likes this.
  19. Kaarlisk

Regular Newcomer Subscriber

But there are so few actions a submenu seems unnecessary. And slows me down. And some users simply cannot imagine that Run as Admin is in a submenu.

orangpelupa likes this.
  20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Those users who can't imagine Run as Admin could be in a submenu probably shouldn't be using Run as Admin in the first place ;-)

Malo, Cyan and BRiT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.