Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running a Windows 10 desktop willing to join my readtheingredients beta?

What is that about? Does it use async, explicit multiadapter, HDR, checkerboard, conservative rasterization, ROV, FP16?

Just pm me email address and invite will be sent :) I'll give some test barcode images here and you can add products yourself on OpenFoodFacts of course.

I plan to also put my www.techingames.net data into Wikidata and build from there by the way. That's a great database setup they have there.

Windows 10 usage falters, Edge goes nowhere at all
Posted on November 1st, 2016 at 07:51

October numbers are in, and they don’t bode well for Windows 10 or its browser.

The latest NetMarketShare numbers show:

• Windows 10 moved imperceptibly up from 22.53% in September to 22.59% in October
  • Windows 7 also nudged higher, from 48.27% to 48.38%
  • Edge went from 5.16% in September to 5.26% in October
  • IE decreased from 25.48% in September to 23.13% in October
Firefox was the big winner, remarkably, going from 9.19% to 11.14%.

Over on the StatCounter side of the fence:

• Win10 slid up a tiny bit from 24.42% in September to 24.81% in October
  • Win7 went from 39.4% to 38.97%
  • Edge stayed flat from 3.01% in September to 3.06% in October
  • IE lost a whole point from 10.73% to 9.73%
You can interpret the numbers any way you like – and keep in mind that both NetMarketshare and StatCounter measure usage massaged in specific ways. But the takeaway is clear: Win10 and Edge certainly aren’t ringing any chimes.

You just have to wonder how many Win10 machines were sold in October, and how that affects the usage number. If there were, say, 20 million Win10 machines sold in October, surely that would bump the Win10 share up a bit. Are there a lot of people reverting to Win 7 or 8.1 – or giving up on Windows entirely?
https://www.askwoody.com/2016/windows-10-usage-falters-edge-goes-nowhere-at-all/

Certainly some people are giving up on Windows, moving to mobile platforms (including their tablets) for media consumption and browsing. For productivity this is less so but probably still happening, with stuff like Office becoming plenty capable.

Companies are just starting to get ready to move to Windows 10 though. We only just passed the one year mark for release of the business version which most IT staff would consider a minimum wait period before moving to a new Windows version.

Personally I hope Microsoft keep going at their Continuum and mobile platform - I just bought a Lumia 950 XL for 340 euro, and am getting a continuum dock for it tonight. Together with the new option to be able to project your phone to any Windows 10 machine and start using its monitor, mouse and keyboard, I think it's a very smart direction for the company to move to, and their next update will give resizeable windows even on the mobile version of 10. My wife could probably be completely satisfied for all her office and private needs with just this phone.

My first impressions of this phone which cost less than half of the iPhone 6 Plus I am currently using are very favorable so far.

I am also shocked that I can still see pixels at normal phone distance even above 500ppi. Lies! ;)

Last edited:
Pick whatever statistic you want to believe. Neither is correct but both give a good approximation based on what information you require.

For visits from desktop and portable PCs, the samples are very large for each company. Net Market Share says its reports are based on 40,000 websites worldwide, with 160 million unique visitors per month on desktop and mobile devices. StatCounter’s monthly totals for desktop and notebook PCs consist of 15 billion pageviews recorded at 3 million sites. (That number might sound large, but it’s actually a drop in the bucket, web-wise, given the most recent Netcraft estimate of more than 861 million websites worldwide.)

Net Market Share doesn’t break down its mobile dataset. StatCounter says that in June 2013 its mobile report was based on 2.6 billion pageviews. (Presumably subsequent months have seen similar traffic levels.)

Differences in sample size on a per-country basis have a big influence on usage reports. At StatCounter, for example, more than 26 percent of mobile views are from India, making it the most popular region in its mobile dataset. By contrast, only 7 percent of StatCounter's desktop pageviews come from India. Roughly 21.5 percent of mobile StatCounter's traffic is from the United States; on the desktop, the U.S. share for pageviews is a bit higher, at 24 percent.
The crucial difference, as you’ll note if you read the methodologies carefully, is that Net Market Share attempts to measure daily unique users, while StatCounter measures total traffic. If you visit a single page in the Net Market Share network, you’re counted, and then your visits to any other page on any other site in the network are ignored for the rest of the day. Net Market Share weights the data by country, StatCounter doesn’t.

As a result, Net Market Share stats count every user equally, while StatCounter gives extra weight to heavy web users.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/net-ma...nter-whose-online-measurements-can-you-trust/

Neither is correct but both give a good approximation based on what information you require.
true but I disagree with the 'good approximation' part,
we have 4 different trackers saying approx the same thing, and then we have netapplications saying the opposite. Since its US election season, its like saying 4 years ago.
All those polls predicting an Obama win are wrong and Rush Limbaugh predicting a Romney landside is right.
Anyways what accounts for Netapplications massive correction over the last year, to aligning more with the other trackers? (its not the win10 migration)

what Net Applications does is nuts

I guess we agree to disagree. Believe what you will, but I'm inclined to go along with what most research/investment/publications use to track market share.

Has anybody here managed to sync a Wii controller with Windows 10? I want to use it with Kodi. I would use the Amazon fire TV stick remote but since windows Bluetooth is fucked up that apparently won't work (it does on Linux).

My NUC sees my remote and can connect but it's not enumerating or whatever because the lights on the wii remote keep blinking.

Google has been utterly useless in finding as solution. As usual.

Windows 10 Displaying Browser Ads in the Taskbar When Using Google Chrome

Ads in Windows 10 is quite a controversial topic, and we’ve seen many people accusing Microsoft of trying to promote apps (in most of the cases its own) by displaying nags here and there across the operating system.

And it looks like Redmond has found another way to annoy users, as popup ads are now displayed right on the Windows 10 taskbar as little popups that show up at random times.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/wind...taskbar-when-using-google-chrome-509960.shtml

Windows 10 Displaying Browser Ads in the Taskbar
c5uXhy2.jpg

Windows 10 usage falters, Edge goes nowhere at all
Posted on November 1st, 2016 at 07:51

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/windows-10-usage-falters-edge-goes-nowhere-at-all/
well, Windows 10 is fine for me overall, well over Windows 8 -my previous favourite OS- and Windows 7. Edge...on the other hand...the main advantage is that it shares my bookmarks with my phone and any other device running the Windows environment, but as a browser it still needs a few fixes.

Looking at the code of webpages is slow, random hangs are quite usual,etc etc etc, a bit frustrating at times. It can be fast though, and faster than other browsers in a few tasks, but anyways..
Certainly some people are giving up on Windows, moving to mobile platforms (including their tablets) for media consumption and browsing. For productivity this is less so but probably still happening, with stuff like Office becoming plenty capable.

Companies are just starting to get ready to move to Windows 10 though. We only just passed the one year mark for release of the business version which most IT staff would consider a minimum wait period before moving to a new Windows version.

Personally I hope Microsoft keep going at their Continuum and mobile platform - I just bought a Lumia 950 XL for 340 euro, and am getting a continuum dock for it tonight. Together with the new option to be able to project your phone to any Windows 10 machine and start using its monitor, mouse and keyboard, I think it's a very smart direction for the company to move to, and their next update will give resizeable windows even on the mobile version of 10. My wife could probably be completely satisfied for all her office and private needs with just this phone.

My first impressions of this phone which cost less than half of the iPhone 6 Plus I am currently using are very favorable so far.

I am also shocked that I can still see pixels at normal phone distance even above 500ppi. Lies! ;)
They say they are working on a x86 phone with a CPU created by Intel. That could be a game changer for me, but I think they left the phone business, so I am not sure that rumour is even true.

Cwb4xfeXEAA56r2.jpg

They say they are working on a x86 phone with a CPU created by Intel. That could be a game changer for me, but I think they left the phone business, so I am not sure that rumour is even true.

Cwb4xfeXEAA56r2.jpg
They worked on it, but then Intel dropped Atom line :LOL:

share it, please.

You can PM me your email address, I'll add you to the beta. I think most of the basic issues have been solved. I'll add a few more useability stuff and then I can probably think about releasing it to the store and evolve the app from there. But beta testers will remain helpful of course!

I'd happily pay for a retail pro version that is guaranteed to not get any ad suggestions or other similar shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back