Will MGS4 get 1 million day one sales?

Are you getting MGS4?

• Total voters
Japan and US numbers are the ones that would matter most no? I don't know much about the European market but what I gather from comments on this forum is that any game where you walk around a world with a gun is considered an fps and hence not popular there. So I figure the Japan and US numbers would matter most.

I realy don't think so. I'm european, and I'm really not into FPS, but I love MGS, and I don't consider it to be an FPS.

It depends when this is released, if there are other high profile games stealing thunder from MGS, then it probably won't hit a million in a day, but if it has relatively little competition it might. I doubt it will do favourable against GeoW though.

Probably. By then the PS3 userbase should be up a good deal, and we're talking WW, and one of the most anticipated PS3 games..

But I dont know, I just remembered recent MGS games haven't been sales blockbusters I recall hearing. I'm not sure it has any bearing here, though.

First message ever here, so hi :)

Uhm, I can't answer the poll, but I would buy this game on day one. I only played the original MGS so far since I never had a PS2, but I loved it.

But, isn't this game released around the same time as GTAIV?
I think that will steal a whole lot of sales from MGS, since I think GTA is much more wanted than MGS.
So I doubt that MGS will get to a million sales on day one.

In all honesty I think it's feasible..

With a quiet release window & decidedly rave reviews across the board (& they would need to be Halo 3/Bioshock/GeOW level "rave"...) they'll make it (assuming their plans for a simultaneous worldwide release go ahead..)

IMO It was a pretty stupid call announcing this revelations publicly.. If they fail to meet their target now, even by a small margin, the title would be considered a failure by the media & more specifically in the eyes of the consumer & this could even work to hinder further sales growth (*possibly*)..

I think that they MUST see this as a feasible target otherwise I'm pretty sure a 360 port of the game would have been announced yonks ago..

Precisely. It's nowhere near as appealing as Gran Turismo or Grand Theft Auto.

So in your eyes, anything below Gran Tourismo or GTA sales is not "appealing to a broad base"...?

I love it when people make arguements which, when refuted, they suddenly decide to change as if they were saying something else all along..

:rolleyes:

I ain't buying it, it's one of the many so called "big hitters" that just don't appeal to me.

It's one of those games where I look at it and go "wow" for a moment, then footstep by footstep I realise I should be playing something I actually enjoy playing, rather than playing a game I only like the look of.

So in your eyes, anything below Gran Tourismo or GTA sales is not "appealing to a broad base"...?

I love it when people make arguements which, when refuted, they suddenly decide to change as if they were saying something else all along..

:rolleyes:
ErnstH said:
MGS isn't that appealing to a broad base, at least less than Halo or Gran Turismo.
If you would kindly read my first reaction... I don't really believe that MGS is capable of selling one million copies. I only think a GT, GTA or Halo-calibre game is capable of that feat.
Edit: at least on the PS3 in its current state (or near feature when MGS releases).

Apparently Kojima/Konami are aiming for 1 million day one sales to make the investment in MGS4 worthwhile. While they reach that? Here's an infallible, absolutely, scientific study that will categorically prove yes or no, such is the wonder of modern science!

I think you interpreted the review incorrectly.

Interviewer: "So, as we all know, we've been hearing about creating video games being more and more expensive. Seeing as how MGS4 is such a high budget title, what do you have to say/what do you think about this trend?"

Payton: "Well, it's not like it's something that comes as a shock for anyone that's been in the game industry for a couple of years. As development teams and studios get bigger and games become more complex and ambitious, it's inevitable that the costs of production are going to rise. The PlayStation brand has always been good to us, and we're pretty bullish on the PS3. I don't think any of us expect to return a profit within the first day, that would take over a million units sold."

They said thats what they would need, not thats what they are expecting, at least thats the way i interpreted it.

If you would kindly read my first reaction... I don't really believe that MGS is capable of selling one million copies. I only think a GT, GTA or Halo-calibre game is capable of that feat.
Edit: at least on the PS3 in its current state (or near feature when MGS releases).

Well IMO it's definitely capable of selling a million..

In it's first day of sales is another story however even if it doesn't.. The figures are there to show that historically the franchise has very broad appeal, which is where your initial arguement kicked off in the first place..

(LTD sales)
1+ million sales = large appeal (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Resistance etc..)
3+ million sales = wide appeal (MGS2 etc..)
6+ million sales = fanatical craze (Halo 3, GT, GTA, FF etc..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you interpreted the review incorrectly.

They said thats what they would need, not thats what they are expecting, at least thats the way i interpreted it.

Embarrassment!!

Looks like we're dealing with another incident of arsed up journalism!!

Well at least that puts things into perspective & it's alot more reassuring to hear..

Im embarrassed I didnt read the link for myself, and just took the OP's word on it. Bad posting by him. Thanks to Betanumerical for clearing it up.

Im embarrassed I didnt read the link for myself, and just took the OP's word on it. Bad posting by him. Thanks to Betanumerical for clearing it up.

In his defense, GI.biz said exactly the same thing however without quoting the exact comment made which throws up some question about the intentions behind the new article's dubious wording..

Im embarrassed I didnt read the link for myself, and just took the OP's word on it. Bad posting by him.
I'll give myself a reprimand...

Okay, I didn't check the source material, but one really shouldn't have to if journalists were even a quarter way decent at doing their jobs. For the record, GI.biz and next-gen.biz both led with the same headline, and didn't provide the actual relevant quote, so I had no reason to doubt two independent, 'professional' business sites as getting the reporting so wrong.

Back