Wii impression thread

Got my wii two weeks ago.

The unit is very sexy, which is good because I put it in my living room (unlike all my other consoles).

The wiimote has lots of potential and I liike the idea of decoupling the left and right arm, because sometimes on regular pads the position of having both hands on the controller can hurt my back for long sessions.

Zelda is fantastic, but it is just a GC game, and by the defintion of Iwata itself, a "wiimake".

I bought Wiisports and I've still to put a long time with it, but it reminds me of an arcade game at home, the kind of game Sega was able to do (good in arcades, stupidely short at home).

I've yet to open Wiiplay, I bought it for the 2nd wiimote, too busy with Zelda.

Looking at the release list, my next purchase will be very far in the future, next Christmas I think.

And the graphics look last gen ;)

and NOE did something wrong witth Zelda in 480p. The game looks worse than in SD.

Just get rechargable batteries, that should be a no-brainer.

Usually, Rechargables don't last as long as alkalines. And The other similar controllers I've tried, like the Wavebird and Logitech units, would seem to last forever on a pair of AAs!

But I should look into rechargables for the sake of the planet, I guess.

It's been 35 days.

I have played maybe 90 minutes of Zelda. I got the oil lamp, and that was it. I will not let that game entice me without two things at my disposal: 1)a component cable 2)a large monolithic chunk of time with zero obligations. Who knows when that may be. My brother played it after Christmas and as a result he was unavailable for a week.

So no Zelda for me, and I'm done with Red Steel. One playthrough is enough.
All I ever seem to use the Wii for is playing F-Zero, VC games and Wii Sports. I have done Wii Sports Fitness with two Miis (to cheat my way around the limitation to one training unit per day) pretty much every day. Between the two I've taken 55 tests which means I'm 15 tests short of having taken two tests every day.

It would be an addiction if it were dangerous, but as it limits itself to what, five minutes per sitting, there really is no harm, no overdoing it. It should maybe be called "a daily ritual" instead.

I can't let go of this game.
I'm above 1900 points in Tennis now and will probably soon find out if 2000 can be exceeded. I have just recently started over with another Mii which I play left-handed for kicks. She's at 1200 points and I ... is anyone going to believe it? I've become ambidextrous enough to at least confidently use a PC mouse with either hand. Strange stuff.
I'll definitely try playing a proper double with a Wiimote in each hand.

I'm constantly hovering around 1500 points in Boxing with no problems just below, but whenever I go above that I must fight an opponent called Matt (looks like the trainer? white gloves) who wipes the floor with me.
Wii Sports Boxing feels good, and after four or five matches I'm exhausted enough to stop. Maybe that's a difference between video games and "natural games" worth pointing out: physical games will never marginalize your "real life" because you'll have to take a break, or call it a day, eventually. Contrast that with Korean WoWers dying on their chairs because they forgot to eat.
I've never been an avid sportster, like many computer-oriented types I have always been a physical underperformer during my time at school. The games I liked playing were video games, because I could never surnount the barriers of entry to finding any fun in real-world sports.

Another bite nobody's going to believe: those five weeks of Wii Sports have definitely changed the way I think about real sports (hint: more positively). I think I understand more why it is so much fun for so many people. There's nothing wrong about enjoying a little physical excercise and competition.

IMO Wii Sports itself is a sport (maybe not the most effective/satisfying/competitive one, but a sport), and something happened to my arms I swear it. I'm not opposed at all to getting better, more refined versions of this concept, but until then I will keep using this.

Heh, I have the same Wiisports addiction, except while doing it, I put in a lot more time in Zelda & completed Rayman. I'm at about the same spots on Tennis & boxing. I've seen people talk about going over 2000pt in Tennis so it should be possible. It's still the same opponents too. And that boxing opponent at about 1550-1600pt is hard as hell, I haven't beaten him yet. The funny thing is, every opponent before him was pretty easy.

I'm over pro level in every sports. I haven't made a left handed Mii yet but that sounds like a good idea. Especially since opponents currently for boxing (& baseball to a degree) got ridiculously hard. And in bowling, I got to the point (1640pt) where even when I bowl in the 230's I still lose points. So I think I'll make a left handed Mii and work my way up again.

Usually, Rechargables don't last as long as alkalines. And The other similar controllers I've tried, like the Wavebird and Logitech units, would seem to last forever on a pair of AAs!

But I should look into rechargables for the sake of the planet, I guess.

I got something like 50 hours out of the original AAs. A combination of Zelda and Wii Sports. I'm on NiMH rechargeables now. NiMH rechargeables can outlast alkalines in devices that can't deal with alkalines quick voltage drop (cameras, for example). I don't know how long the rechargeables will last yet though. I actually haven't played Wii for over a month prolly. Zelda bored me out after about 35 hours or so.

I really don't understand the complaints about rechargeables. Does it really bother people that you have to recharge a pair of NiMH batteries every 30-40 hrs of usage? That's once every week eg gaming over 7 days at over 5 hrs per day. A pair of NiMHs can be charged about 500 times and could be purchased for around $8 including the charger. How much does it cost to buy 250 alkaline batteries? I don't think people buy NiMH because they're concerned about the environment. :LOL:

Just for reference on my flash MP3 player alkalines last about 1.5 times longer at most than the NiMHs.

If nobody cared about graphics, then why arent we still playing on our PSOne?

Because PS1 doesn't get the newest games... Seriously if PS1 still had a constant stream of quality games then I'd bet that most people who own one would still use it regularly. Of course that doesn't mean they wouldn't also have the newest console. But it does underscore the fact that great gameplay is what makes games, great graphics are a bonus.

Well I finally fell for the Hype and picked up a Wii this morning:

IMAGE_00533.jpg

Wii $249.99
Warioware $49.99
Zelda $49.99
Psyclone Component Cables $59.99 (WTF!??)
2 Year Replacement plan $39.99

Grand Total w/ tax : $486.85

Will post more pics and impressions once I've played with it a bit. Hopefully it won't look like complete @SS on my 1080p HD set...

Grand Total w/ tax : $486.85

Will post more pics and impressions once I've played with it a bit. Hopefully it won't look like complete @SS on my 1080p HD set...

Suddenly a 499 PS3 20Gb doesn't look so expensive, eh? ;) Congrats though, hope you enjoy your system.

Because PS1 doesn't get the newest games... Seriously if PS1 still had a constant stream of quality games then I'd bet that most people who own one would still use it regularly. Of course that doesn't mean they wouldn't also have the newest console. But it does underscore the fact that great gameplay is what makes games, great graphics are a bonus.

Yeah, or maybe just release a stylus with an included mike for it and port DS games. They'd have to be slightly downgraded, but I'm sure games like Brain Training and Phoenix Wright would run on it just fine. :D

Where can you go to play one? I want one (damn the hype!) but rather try it out first. No, I don't know anyone who has it.

All the kiosks I've come across don't have controllers connected. Can you ask the associates?

Where can you go to play one? I want one (damn the hype!) but rather try it out first. No, I don't know anyone who has it.

All the kiosks I've come across don't have controllers connected. Can you ask the associates?

Don't you have to deposit your car keys as security? Then the staff will give you a remote. I think I read it works that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know someone else is gonna say it, so I'll say it first...

What would a PS3 + 2 games + component cables + extra warranty come to? At least $250 more!

Ah! But see ... instead of the two games, you could just download the motorstorm demo, GT:HD demo, and several other demos ... for free! ;) And on top of all of that, you have something that plays BluRay discs, supports HD-tv quite well ;), has a harddrive, free onlne gaming, and so on.

Of course, the 360 may even be better value if you're not interested in BluRay, if you get the Premium you have the HDD as well as the component cables included and can download tonnes of free demos. And there are even offers with one or two games here and there.

Though I think you're short-changing the Wii somewhat too as I suppose his version comes with Wii-Sports, which is quite a popular game. ;)

Anyway, this is just me thinking out loud what it means when we talk about value.

Ah! But see ... instead of the two games, you could just download the motorstorm demo, GT:HD demo, and several other demos ... for free!

Full games > Demos

Also, the Wii has built in Wi-fi, which the $499 PS3 does not. And, again, no HD cables so the PS3's biggest benefit is wasted.

Ah! But see ... instead of the two games, you could just download the motorstorm demo, GT:HD demo, and several other demos ... for free! ;) And on top of all of that, you have something that plays BluRay discs, supports HD-tv quite well ;), has a harddrive, free onlne gaming, and so on.

Of course, the 360 may even be better value if you're not interested in BluRay, if you get the Premium you have the HDD as well as the component cables included and can download tonnes of free demos. And there are even offers with one or two games here and there.

Though I think you're short-changing the Wii somewhat too as I suppose his version comes with Wii-Sports, which is quite a popular game. ;)

Anyway, this is just me thinking out loud what it means when we talk about value.

:LOL:

When you buy a Wii (in the US) for $250 you get a free copy of Wii Sports... you know, it's the game that has outsold all the PS3 games in Japan combined. ;)

not to point out the obvious but thats because they've included it as a game "sale" when its given free. Considering what, theres like 3x more Wii sold than PS3s? thats kind of a no-brainer.
No, in Japan it wasn't bundled with the console. Those were legit individual sales. Considering the popularity, I suppose lots of developers are looking to cash in with various easy to play sports games like it. They just need to watch some Olympic videos and ESPN to get some ideas.

No, in Japan it wasn't bundled with the console. Those were legit individual sales. Considering the popularity, I suppose lots of developers are looking to cash in with various easy to play sports games like it. They just need to watch some Olympic videos and ESPN to get some ideas.

i dont read japanese (har har! useless site) i thought he was saying the Wii Sports world wide sales were outnumbering.

Back