What sports/activities do hardcore gamers/devs get involved in

Weight lifting and various cardio (cross country, biking) to try to keep my middle-aged butt in decent shape. I was never into organized sports much, though I enjoyed tennis years ago and used to be a fairly good fencer. My former instructor, an Italian, won the silver medal at the '52 Olympics.

I just wanted to break a little from the monotony of pre E3 lull of info and find out from those that care to share... what kind of sports/activities do you as gaming enthiasts/devs do in your free time.

Personally, I am completely into rock climbing perhaps even moreso than gaming!!! I have even built my own climbing gym in my garage. I can post pics if anyone has interest.

Cycling, weight lifting, light running, stretching. Cycling in particular has my interest. I participated in the NY Century Ride a couple of years ago with 115 miles/185 kilometers. I didn't get to do it last year because I was so swamped, and I'm trying to sell my current bike and buy a new one.

Probably won't be able to get in a race this year, but I'm definitely doing it next year. :)

I am cycling nut (no weather condition can stop me, come rain, come snow, come taifun or hail :p ). Also do some weight training now and then. If I only got a little free time, I do some BWE.

BTW, a movie recommendation for the climbing enthusiasts: Check out Pepe Danquart's [/url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0959282/]Am Limit[/url]. It's about a speed climbing attempt on the El Capitan in Yosemite by the Huber Buam. Really awesome pictures.
For cyclist's Danquart's Hell on Wheels (Danquart closely follows the Tour de France cohorts including medics, etc.) is also worth watching, even though there's a bitter aftertaste nowadays with Team Telekom riders admitting to doping.

I used to go the climbing wall as well... until my weight to power ratio grew too high :???:

Doesn't stop me! I am probably as heavy now as I have ever been (actually just started my new fitness regime this week). Worked out the other day that I am effectively climbing with a 22" CRT strapped on my back in comparison to some of our leaner colleagues.

CC

Raced Motorcycles. Got burnt out of in so taking a break from bikes.
Doing car trackdays now to get my fix for speed.
Used to work out but now I just do a daily boxing routine which is much more fun and actually quite a bit more difficult.
Enjoy skiing in the winter but don't get to go as much as I'd like!

I do a lot of walking around the city. Seems to keep me in enough shape and active. I also do calisthenics and like to climb as well. Instead of rocks I climb trees. The good part of living in SF is that walking is really all one needs in the cardio department. Just go ahead and pick up a pace faster than usual on a walk in Golden Gate or just about to wherever and it's easy to get winded after 5 minutes or so. Keep it up for like an hour and it's a good workout.

I draw all the time and like to pick up a paint brush every once in a while.

Not so much big as tall. I can't imagine climbing on a 3 meter wall very interesting.

You climb on the ceiling dude :)

And yes my garage has a bit of a climbing area on the ceiling. I am not using it though I am patching the sheetrock. It might not be the best idea either as the joists flex a bit.

oh yeah
mtn biking is what I prefer,
snowboarding, scuba, sport climbing, mountaineering, hiking, frisbee golf

I received a fly fishing pole as well, but haven't done that much yet. Too many hobbies...

Oh yeah I like writing as well. Working on a novel.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sports activity is the "3.y.o, 'Can you carry me on your shoulders?'" walk

I do weightlifting, swimming, surfing and running on the beach. I don't play any more ball games, like basketball, tennis, volleyball, football or even golf at the moment.

I must say climbing sounds interesting and is something I never done before. Though with all the weightlifting I've done over the years I am now like 235. Do you need to be nimble to climb ?

I do weightlifting, swimming, surfing and running on the beach. I don't play any more ball games, like basketball, tennis, volleyball, football or even golf at the moment.

I must say climbing sounds interesting and is something I never done before. Though with all the weightlifting I've done over the years I am now like 235. Do you need to be nimble to climb ?

It certainly helps. But the nice thing about climbing is that so long as you have a minimum level of fitness you should be able to do it. I am certainly not nimble, but manage well enough. To climb the more difficult grades will start to require a more efficient body shape, but even then there are exceptions, John Dunne is considered one of the worlds top climbers and is heavier than the average climber.

I suspect that your main problem would be that you will have a tendancy to climb more with brute strength than learning the more efficient ways of moving (as it sounds like you are already quite strong). To counter this you will probably have to concentrate on doing more delicate climbs, and if possible climb with women, as they tend to be less strong and shorter than men and so develop good technique to offset this. Also women climbers tend to be quite attractive :)

CC

Rock climbing, hiking and swimming here... though all I've been doing recently is the hiking. Going for a long walk up the coast is often a lot simpler than the others. I did play for the U18 England volleyball team but that was quite a while ago :*)

Also women climbers tend to be quite attractive

Yep, and you get a very good excuse for staring at their bums.

Is hardcore-sitting in a comfy chair a sport? Playing stepmania and the occassional bit of football with friends I guess.

I take part in the following activities:

Skateboarding (Ramp)
Skateboarding (Downhill) - 43 MPH downhill stand up so far.
Frisbee golfing.
Soccer on and off.
Karting when I can.

Back