Confessions of an Absent Moderator

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
(or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Ban Hammer)

After my unexpected absence, I’m back but not entirely sure in what capacity. The reasons for my departure are a perhaps not-insignificant feedback for B3D. In short, the time investment to moderate was considerable and yet it wasn’t able to get discussion quality to what I liked about B3D, so I just popped out for some fresh air…

When Rys took me aside and handed me my first ban hammer (the Mark II with the limited edition cyan trimming; a more delicate hammer for considered ne’er-do-well removal), I was already a very active participant of the console discussions, so my role as Mod placed me slap bang in the middle of the conversations I was also a part of. Being self-employed and working from home, I could spare plenty of time participating and moderating. Okay, I couldn’t really spare that time, but I did anyway. We got to a very comfortable point, IMHO, where moderation was minimal and I was mostly just engaged in discussion.

As time rolled on and the population changed, the amount of moderation increased largely around the same personalities conflicting. Additionally, the number of active mods on B3D has always been low because most aren’t self-employed and working from home and wasting their mornings on it, but fitting in moderation around their Real Lives. Even with Rys promoting new members to Moderators, there remained basically three of us, BRiT, AlStrong, and myself. And frustratingly we hit the same problems over and over again. This feedback forum has plenty of topics started about what’s tricky in maintaining the B3D standard, but nothing particularly changed. To underline the point, upon my return now I see an outstanding Report that is exactly the same people as always!

So one day I’m feeling grumpy at the amount of bickering and cyclical arguments and how emotional people get over whether they are right or wrong and the amount of time and ridiculous number of words I’m spending mostly arguing about the discussions rather than the topics, and I’m thinking, “I really need to finish my game!” and I install a site blocker into Firefox. Over the next week I’m really aware how habitual B3D was, that I’d keep going to visit it between coding down moments, and the blocker gets a good workout. And this frees up loads of time! Not only do I get more development work done, but I even get time to play games a bit more. Ni No Kuni was a fabulous week’s break.

There was no plan or intention beyond what was needed at that moment. My gaming interest was well served by EuroGamer, with small, short lived topics and zero responsibilities. In particular, as a mod I felt it necessary to read pretty much everything in the Console space including members who rubbed me up the wrong way, whereas on EG I’m happy to just ignore people or drop conversations. A couple of B3Ders waved at me there which was nice. One asked if I was going to return to B3D – I didn’t reply and didn’t really know what that answer was.

Still, there were moments I missed the decent technical talk, such as the new PS5 with its downsized cooling solution (I’m sure Mr Fox has something to say about that!), and I knew it’d be nice to be involved in that again, but I don’t want to be dealing with console wars crap or GPU vendor wars crap. And I really mustn’t talk so bloody much!

So now I’m back in the room, and I really don’t particularly want to be moderating. It also appears Al has disappeared :)cry:) so BRiT’s shouldering everything himself? And I just feel a healthy community should be able to carry itself meaning people can come and go, as many have, without it impacting the health of the community. The fact we have been several years with the same people generating the same noise shows to me that the present system isn’t ideal, yet no-one’s got a workable, actionable solution, suggesting the current noise:signal ratio is what we’re stuck with. Is it still better than the rest of the internet? Yes. Maybe that’s as good as we’re realistically going to get, but I really would love B3D to return to the place it was when devs connected with users in interesting ways. Of course, maybe the lack of devs is due to the changing face of communications, them moving to Twitter and Reddit or preferring the more populous ResetEra, and that in itself means less signal setting a lower baseline for new users?

Last edited:
Modding is tough and may not necessarily be the correct role for everyone. We can still have an effect on our culture here on B3D without needing to be a mod. B3D benefits from you being here, but it doesn't need to be in a mod capacity. That should alleviate the pressure, but more importantly enables you to focus on things that mods can't do or say because they have requirements that force them to be as impartial as possible.

I think there is always a learning period for new users to grow into the forum. But ideally users will trend posts towards investigation of technical details, or learning of topics they don't know or understand instead of trying to prove other users wrong. I think that type of discourse is something that moderators can't really have a hand in, where as community leaders can.

I still like being a self-appointed moderator everywhere I go, I just can't help it...but I REALLY get the ending up spending too much time playing babysitter/peacemaker and not getting to have fun anymore.

Hope you can find a balance that suits you, and I really hope you'll stick around here. Your input is always welcome, educational, or entertaining. :love:

The main issue that I see here and other sites as well, no one ever wants to admit when they're wrong on a certain subject, and it's usually console (warring) related. Outside of that, glad to see you back (long-term or temporarily) Shifty!

Welcome back!

The fact we have been several years with the same people generating the same noise shows to me that the present system isn’t ideal, yet no-one’s got a workable, actionable solution, suggesting the current noise:signal ratio is what we’re stuck with.

Honestly Shifty, to me the drought of active moderators is the low-hanging fruit that could cover 90% of the issues here if it was solved. And it was so even when you were active, let alone when @BRiT got alone.

From my PoV, the discussions only got to heated levels after hours / days of build up with no one with an impartial perspective being able to do anything about it.
Users with very obvious agendas, and/or aggressive + disrespectful means of participation and without anything positive to give to the forum don't even get noticed. Using the ignore button - although great for not feeding the former - simply results in watching nonsense discussions one after another.

The points/warnings system that would get the more confrontational people (like me, I know...) to steer their participation is apparently gone, and the result is an absence of consistency in moderation. This lack of consistency also results in one day a guy getting 10 likes for a friendly post he did that morning, and the next day he's getting a warning-less ban for something he posted 3 weeks before. If the mods aren't following those forum rules that are laid out to them, how are the users expected to follow their part of the rules?
Some months ago I reported like 6 times throughout the course of one week a very direct and very rude insult I got, clearly against the forum rules, and IIRC that post is still out there.

All this is bound to get people fed up - you included and rightly so - and gradually ceasing to post even when they have something of worth to say.

Why not just start by giving mod rights to e.g. @digitalwanderer and @London Geezer , whom to me (and I bet most) seem like pretty impartial and present posters?

I get that @Rys is occupied at the moment, but surely he'll find some time to edit some users' privileges if the currently active mods get together and decide on a handful of users to aid them with this.

When you can't reach agreement about what you disagree about, well.... :runaway:
I don't remember seeing a disagreement about Intel in the past 4 years, to be honest.

I don't remember seeing a disagreement about Intel in the past 4 years, to be honest.
Same. BRiT is either in forums I'm not frequenting of those folks are on my ignore list.

I like your suggestions for mods, both people with the right temperament if they were willing and that was genuinely an option.

The thing of "Nvidia/Amd/Intel related" is more of a general statement that "it's PC (warring) related" in the same way that "and it's usually console (warring) related" implies Nintendo too, since they are part of the console discussions yet they never seem to be involved in the dust-ups.

Yes and maybe iroboto and DSoup

I most definitely do not have the right temperament and having modded a tech forum about 20 years ago, that is an additional responsibility that I do not crave. Speaking as a Brit, not for all the tea in China. :nope:

I most definitely do not have the right temperament and having modded a tech forum about 20 years ago, that is an additional responsibility that I do not crave. Speaking as a Brit, not for all the tea in China. :nope:
Same. I don’t want to be a in position of power. Seems like a conflict of interest to steer discussion while also being in a position of power. Means I wasn’t able to steer it on the merits of good arguments alone.

Same. I don’t want to be a in position of power.
For me it's the additional obligation and responsibility. I have enough of that in my professional career and my personal life. Adding that into a hobby? No thanks. :nope:

For me it's the additional obligation and responsibility. I have enough of that in my professional career and my personal life. Adding that into a hobby? No thanks. :nope:
This too. It’s already too much. I’m still working on this analyzer for DF. I’m nearly there. I just want get this thing finished

I don't think being a mod would be good for dig's heart
ROFL!

Honest, my heart has never been better. I'm strong as an ox and can handle more stress than ever, it's annoying.

That doesn't mean I wanna be a mod here though, and I wasn't kidding about being a self-appointed mod. I've been a mod/admin at a lot of places, but I've found I can do pretty much the same stuff without the mod powers. Mostly it's just defusing situations or nicely pointing out to people that they're being arseholes and there is no need.

If things get really bad I just use the "report post" button, I got all the power I need already. I just tend to moderate anywhere I go unless I'm stirring up trouble. ;)

This is why I would love to see moderation in a more 'distributed processing' (cloud in modern parlance) model as opposed to a few 'dedicated cores'. We've had great posters given moderation powers, but they aren't able to engage with the workload. I reckon if your looked closely, you'd notice they tended to disappear shortly afterwards too! :runaway: Sometimes it's just not really possible to moderate a particular issue. That is, for example, we have established players who keep butting heads. In discussion about how to deal with it, there's no solution. The members are capable of debating intelligently and have points to contribute, but they shouldn't be allowed in the same room together! Right now there's an outstanding report. I simple can't do anything about it. It's not a matter of issuing temp bans or removing lines from a post as the problem is history repeating itself. Any action is just sticking another finger in the dyke.

What might be cool for right here, right now, is members taking on a moderator attitude even without mod powers. I just mentioned in a tech thread that gameplay discussion belongs elsewhere. That doesn't need someone to be a mod to intercept such an OT before it becomes a whole editing job. And if enough people are gently reminding each other of the rules as we go, hopefully we'd pre-empt the larger workloads. I'll throw this out there - I've a friend who's Polish who's been living in England for years but she struggles to improve her English over very Eastern European. She asks her friends and colleagues to correct her but they don't because they are 'being polite', but in truth they are not doing her any favours and she finds it frustrating. Any member truly wanting to be a B3Der should be happy to have nice correction from the B3D gestalt to form them into the B3Der they want to be, so we shouldn't shy away from what might be considered butting one's nose in IMO.

Long term, either you'd need a dozen very active moderators or something like my proposed "let the veterans vote off the worst candidates" idea. eg. A person could receive automated messages that they are accumulating black-balls, even with a single point advisory (off topic, cyclic arguing, passive-aggressive, nonsensical arguments), so they have chance to adapt, while the community has a way to protect itself from democratically determined unwanted elements without needing a moderator oligarchy to agree to their ideas of what's noise and what's signal. This is where DSoup, London Geezer (! :LOL:), Iroboto, and a host of others can have controlling influence that only has power if it's a shared value and which doesn't place any time requirements on them. And eventually, they would be given powers to extend those powers to other members, meaning the community should be self sustaining at whatever standards of posting it deems acceptable.

Additionally if BRiT's been holding the fort down single handed, you all owe him many beers!

Back